Does anyone know what a 1961 Dodge Lancer is worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what a 1961 Dodge Lancer is worth

I came across a 1961 Dodge Lancer 770 parked in a Guy's driveway today up in South Alabama with a for sale sign on it but was unable to talk to him. The car still has it's original paint and interior. The headliner is falling down, the seat covers are original and look bad but not all torn up. All of the chrome is starting to oxidize but it is all there along with all emblems and trim.

There is no damage to the car except minor dents and dings and it has the original hub caps on it. All glass is intact with no cracks.

I looked under the car and it looks like it was undercoated a long time ago, it has the usual surface rust and dirt everywhere but the frame looked solid. The sheet metal looks original and excellent with rust starting to show thru the paint in the lower area of the car but it has no rusted thru areas and the panels are solid as are the lower parts of the doors and sills.

I did not get a chance to look at the engine or start the car. I plan to call the owner tomorrow. He had $3,950 on the for sale sign but I have no idea what it is worth, I would think less than he is asking. The car was so odd looking and strange I liked it.

Steve

I love those little freaks and tend to watch them on eBay. That Slant Six is a sweet little engine.

Sadly, the market I've seen says the car as you describe would likely not get $1000. Most that are listed don't sell since the owners expect a lot more.

Of course, if it has the aluminum-block 225 engine it's worth significantly more; those are very rare and desirable.

I have a 61 Lancer wagon that is probably just a bit too far gone to restore.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's worth anything. If he's asking $3900 for that car, he's in dreamland.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

One of the big factors that you don't mention is, Which body style? Is it a four door sedan, two door hardtop or station wagon? They were all slant sixes, but there were two different engine displacements and four different horsepower ratings. My price guesstimates are $750/$1250/$1000, in the body order that I listed.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Guys,

It is a four door post and he wants way too much for the car and won't come down anywhere near what it is worth.

Thanks again,
          Steve

Comment

Well, he'll be keeping it a long while then... Too bad. I love seeing these cars on the road. They're just such UFOs I have a buddy who manages a screen print shop; his daily driver is a '62 two-door. It's beat, complete with quad-color primer/paint combo, bare floors with patented "C-Thru" road monitoring technology, and the requisite Mexican blanket seat covers. He loves it and it pays him back by continuing to roll

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Just for comparison, here's a Valiant:

This is at least the second time on eBay; didn't get bought at that price previously.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

This is at least the second time on eBay; didn't get bought at that price previously.
                That's the goofiest looking car I have ever seen.

Yes, I added it to my want list.

I love it. But I'd want a more "fitting" color. Why be boring when you can be ridiculous?
                Last edited by mbstude; 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  That's the goofiest looking car I have ever seen.

Yes, I added it to my want list.
                  .....Me too.....
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

To me, the two door hardtop is a much nicer car than the sedan or wagon. 1961 was the first year for the hardtop.
                    IIRC, in 1960 they were Valiants and in 1961 they became Plymouth Valiants.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That slant six was one of the best engines made. I tried to find a funky Vallient for my daughters first car, but, none were to be found.
                      I did find a 71 plymouth Scamp for $4oo and rebuilt the trans and brakes.
                      The rebuild kit for the 904 auto was a whopping 40 bucks!
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Interesting that no one has pointed out: The car being sold on e-bay is a 1962 Valiant, not a 1961.

The easiest identifiers are the taillights; 1962s had round tailights below the canted fin caps, whereas 1961s still had "cat's-eye" taillamps set in the ends of the "fin" caps. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

More than a passing front resemblance to a four-headlight Lark, don't you think?!

I never understood the asymetrical instrument panels and instruments of those early '60's Mopars!
                          Last edited by Bill Pressler; 07-09-2011, 03:08 AM.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                            I never understood the assymetrical instrument panels and instruments of those early '60's Mopars!
                            The sales figures of those models would support the theory that you aren't alone in that assessment, Bill! <GGG> BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Since we're belaboring this thread here's a Valiant wagon. And as BP will note, a '62:

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X