Thread: Does anyone know what a 1961 Dodge Lancer is worth

Speedster Member

Does anyone know what a 1961 Dodge Lancer is worth

I came across a 1961 Dodge Lancer 770 parked in a Guy's driveway today up in South Alabama with a for sale sign on it but was unable to talk to him. The car still has it's original paint and interior. The headliner is falling down, the seat covers are original and look bad but not all torn up. All of the chrome is starting to oxidize but it is all there along with all emblems and trim.

There is no damage to the car except minor dents and dings and it has the original hub caps on it. All glass is intact with no cracks.

I looked under the car and it looks like it was undercoated a long time ago, it has the usual surface rust and dirt everywhere but the frame looked solid. The sheet metal looks original and excellent with rust starting to show thru the paint in the lower area of the car but it has no rusted thru areas and the panels are solid as are the lower parts of the doors and sills.

I did not get a chance to look at the engine or start the car. I plan to call the owner tomorrow. He had $3,950 on the for sale sign but I have no idea what it is worth, I would think less than he is asking. The car was so odd looking and strange I liked it.

Steve

I love those little freaks and tend to watch them on eBay. That Slant Six is a sweet little engine.

Sadly, the market I've seen says the car as you describe would likely not get $1000. Most that are listed don't sell since the owners expect a lot more.

Of course, if it has the aluminum-block 225 engine it's worth significantly more; those are very rare and desirable.

I have a 61 Lancer wagon that is probably just a bit too far gone to restore.
    Proud NON-CASO I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln GOD BLESS AMERICAEphesians 6:10-17Romans 15:13Deuteronomy 31:6Proverbs 28:1 Illegitimi non carborundum

President Member
    Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's worth anything. If he's asking $3900 for that car, he's in dreamland.
    Rog
    \'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Long Island Studebaker Club

Golden Hawk Member
    One of the big factors that you don't mention is, Which body style? Is it a four door sedan, two door hardtop or station wagon? They were all slant sixes, but there were two different engine displacements and four different horsepower ratings. My price guesstimates are $750/$1250/$1000, in the body order that I listed.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    Thanks Guys,

It is a four door post and he wants way too much for the car and won't come down anywhere near what it is worth.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Well, he'll be keeping it a long while then... Too bad. I love seeing these cars on the road. They're just such UFOs I have a buddy who manages a screen print shop; his daily driver is a '62 two-door. It's beat, complete with quad-color primer/paint combo, bare floors with patented "C-Thru" road monitoring technology, and the requisite Mexican blanket seat covers. He loves it and it pays him back by continuing to roll

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Just for comparison, here's a Valiant:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...item2eb65b63d7

This is at least the second time on eBay; didn't get bought at that price previously.
    Proud NON-CASO I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln GOD BLESS AMERICAEphesians 6:10-17Romans 15:13Deuteronomy 31:6Proverbs 28:1 Illegitimi non carborundum

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post

This is at least the second time on eBay; didn't get bought at that price previously.
    That's the goofiest looking car I have ever seen.

Yes, I added it to my want list.

I love it. But I'd want a more "fitting" color. Why be boring when you can be ridiculous?
    Last edited by mbstude; 07-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Matthew Burnette

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    That's the goofiest looking car I have ever seen.

Yes, I added it to my want list.
    .....Me too.....

Golden Hawk Member

To me, the two door hardtop is a much nicer car than the sedan or wagon. 1961 was the first year for the hardtop.
    IIRC, in 1960 they were Valiants and in 1961 they became Plymouth Valiants.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

That slant six was one of the best engines made. I tried to find a funky Vallient for my daughters first car, but, none were to be found.
    I did find a 71 plymouth Scamp for $4oo and rebuilt the trans and brakes.
    The rebuild kit for the 904 auto was a whopping 40 bucks!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Interesting that no one has pointed out: The car being sold on e-bay is a 1962 Valiant, not a 1961.

The easiest identifiers are the taillights; 1962s had round tailights below the canted fin caps, whereas 1961s still had "cat's-eye" taillamps set in the ends of the "fin" caps. BP

President Member
    More than a passing front resemblance to a four-headlight Lark, don't you think?!

I never understood the asymetrical instrument panels and instruments of those early '60's Mopars!
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 07-09-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan V8

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    I never understood the assymetrical instrument panels and instruments of those early '60's Mopars!
    The sales figures of those models would support the theory that you aren't alone in that assessment, Bill! <GGG> BP

Since we're belaboring this thread here's a Valiant wagon. And as BP will note, a '62:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...item3cb9c8c426

President Member
    [QUOTE=Bob Andrews;560655]Since we're belaboring this thread here's a Valiant wagon. And as BP will note, a '62:

A resident host on another old car forum who shall remain nameless, is the son of a Packard employee and often took potshots at anything Studebaker posted by me or anyone else. He responded cynically to one post, saying how ugly the Wagonaire was compared to other wagons of the day. In response, I posted a link to a photo of a black '62 Valiant wagon. Bill 1, Packard guy 0!

This same guy would repeatedly state how there was no such thing as 'an Avanti engine' and how they really weren't special, such as 'a Corvette engine' was. When I asked him to tell me how a 250 hp or 300 hp 327 in a Biscayne was different than in a Corvette, other than air cleaner and valve covers, he danced quite a bit and finally said engine nos. were different. I told him engine nos. in an Avanti started with "R" versus engine nos. in Avanti-powered Larks and Hawks. He couldn't admit he was wrong (resident expert on everything) and now no longer responds to my posts. I'm enjoying that (LOL)!

But, I digress (as usual!).....

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan V8

[QUOTE=Bill Pressler;560657]
    Since we're belaboring this thread here's a Valiant wagon. And as BP will note, a '62:

A resident host on another old car forum who shall remain nameless, is the son of a Packard employee and often took potshots at anything Studebaker posted by me or anyone else. He responded cynically to one post, saying how ugly the Wagonaire was compared to other wagons of the day. In response, I posted a link to a photo of a black '62 Valiant wagon. Bill 1, Packard guy 0!

This same guy would repeatedly state how there was no such thing as 'an Avanti engine' and how they really weren't special, such as 'a Corvette engine' was. When I asked him to tell me how a 250 hp or 300 hp 327 in a Biscayne was different than in a Corvette, other than air cleaner and valve covers, he danced quite a bit and finally said engine nos. were different. I told him engine nos. in an Avanti started with "R" versus engine nos. in Avanti-powered Larks and Hawks. He couldn't admit he was wrong (resident expert on everything) and now no longer responds to my posts. I'm enjoying that (LOL)!

But, I digress (as usual!).....

What's the old saying, Bill?

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience!

<GGG> BP

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Interesting that no one has pointed out: The car being sold on e-bay is a 1962 Valiant, not a 1961.

The easiest identifiers are the taillights; 1962s had round tailights below the canted fin caps, whereas 1961s still had "cat's-eye" taillamps set in the ends of the "fin" caps. BP
    Good observation, Bob P. The grille and grille shell are also different between 1961 and 1962. IIRC, the Signet came out in 1962 with bucket seats. The 1962 Signet also has a different grille than the lesser models.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968