Thread: 1927 Stude F/S...anybody know this one?

1927 Stude F/S...anybody know this one?

I know that the week of the international meet is a bad time to post a thread needing good replies because so many are on the road or otherwise busy. However, this one popped up on eBay from Monroe Michigan. Anyone here familiar with this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1927-...item3a6721a8d1

At the price and cursory inspection from the pics, the condition of this one looks to be within my skills for a back yard restoration. If it don't reach reserve, during this auction, I might be tempted to try to contact these folks. (Still dreaming)

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

President Member
    John,

Looks to be in decent shape, as compared to some of my daily drivers!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
    The cars that started the madness: My father's 1952 Champion 4 door and neighbor's 51 Champion.

President Member
    If those pictures are correct, this car doesn't need to be restored. That is "patina" - the car would be more desirable as a "survivor". Change belts and hoses. check the tires and make sure the brakes are good, then quit.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    If those pictures are correct, this car doesn't need to be restored. That is "patina" - the car would be more desirable as a "survivor". Change belts and hoses. check the tires and make sure the brakes are good, then quit.
    I'm afraid that horse has already left the barn. He said that there has already been a re-paint. That aside, my real concern would be the condition of the frame (including the wood parts of the frame), extent of metal fatigue in those fenders, and what is underneath the material on the top. Another concern would be the condition of the poured bearings in the lower half of the engine. I don't think Studebaker started using bearing inserts until around 1937. Even then, they were way ahead of many others. I am more of a purest than a rodder, so if I messed with the power plant at all, it would be no more than a later Studebaker flathead and possibly an overdrive.

Until I find what the insurance company is going to do about my storm damage...all this is pure speculative day dreaming anyway. I know there are some pretty active SDC members in the state of Michigan and am hoping that someone knows this car and will comment on it.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, Did you see the 38 on Craigslist in Raleigh? Needs finishing, but looks like George K's in Fla. 5 g's
    Neil Thornton