Avanti Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Alternator

Any suggestions on replacement of alternator on an Avanti, other than the usual expensive sources? Any available exchanges from other brands? Thanks!
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

If you're not married to original, there are several suggestions at http://http://studebaker-info.org/rj...ml#Alternators . I went with a GM one wire on my Avanti II along with several improvements to the headlight wiring.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Avanti alternators are not available from any vendor and are quite rare. If you have one that can be rebuilt you should go that route. Otherwise certain year Toyota and Chrysler alternators will work.

Comment

Try Wilson.

Gordon

Comment

About a year ago my alt burned up and an ear was broken. I had no choice but to look for a replacement. As said, very few used units are available although they do come up on Ebay from time to time. I also saw that Wilson had them. Tried to find one in the US and that was a no go. Found that two existed in Canada, but they would not ship to the US so had a friend pick one up. The cost was $250 plus about another $50 in shipping/handling. Make sure that you replace that regulator also, that caused my alt to burn up.
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

This anecdote doesn't help your situation, but it is interesting. The alt on my Avanti went out awhile back. Blue sparks were flying out of it. My brother removed it and to my dismay we found it really wasn't an Avanti 40 amp alt but a regular 35 amp. Took it to a local electrical shop for repair. They let it lay around for a week and didn't even touch it. So my brother went back and got it and said he's order the brushes and diodes and rebuild it. On his way home, he stopped by an obscure little independent auto parts place outside Lenoir, NC to see if they'd have any brushes. The single counter guy shook his head "no" but said "I may have something you can use though." He went in the back and returned with a cobweb covered fully rebuilt exact replacement 40A prestolite alt just like the one shown in the Avanti Repair Manual and parts book. Said it had been there over 25 years. My brother was flat out amazed and braced for the price quote. Then the guy said "you can have it for $20 and I don't need a core." My bro handed him a $20 bill and also ordered brushes for the 35 amp alt. The new 40 amp alt and a new transistorized Chrysler type voltage regulator did wonders for my car's electrical system. It just goes to show there are a lotta valuable parts still out there at independent shops and junk yards. I do know that Dave Thibeault had Avanti alternators at that time cause I called and asked him. Jon Myer probably does too.
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

I've been using Stan's Auto Electric in Indianapolis for almost 20 years. They do a great job, never had any issues.
              Let me know if I can help

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

In the greater NY area contact AES Auto Electric..........Oceanside NY..............speak to Neil or Bruce.......

Comment

Jon Myer has a few but will not sell them unless you have the correct core to exchange.

Comment

Nobody ever pays attention to old threads, but I found a shop in Butte, Montana. It looked like a real professional outfit and they thought they could repair my Avanti alternator...until they tore it down. They found out that one of the brush holders, which were molded into the housing. He did not feel he could fix it. So, having found no "swaps" that would work, I asked him if he might be able to find something around his shop that might fit, using the Avanti alternator as a model. He will bet back to me. It is getting so that I can barely afford to keep my "fleet" of six Studebakers running at today's prices. I am thing about selling the whole lot!
                    sigpic
                    Jack, in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
                      It is getting so that I can barely afford to keep my "fleet" of six Studebakers running at today's prices. I am thing about selling the whole lot!
                      Could be worse! I have a friend with over 50 Studebakers, all nice cars. A couple months ago he spent over $2000 just for batteries, for example. Of course he's been saying that "anything more than 3 cars is too much for one man" for years.

Comment

I used a Mopar designated to fit a 69 Imperial. 45 amps from Auto Zone. 45.00 6 years ago and still working great with a transistorized regulator from there also. It mounted directly in place of my small Prestolite equipped 63 GT. Same wiring but I did have to file the inside edges of the mounting ears on the bottom bout 1/16 of an inch. I am happy and confident in knowing that a replacement is just a stones throw away. These alternators are also available from Summit Racing and Jegs in chrome. Yi ha! jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I used a Mopar designated to fit a 69 Imperial. . . . . I am happy and confident in knowing that a replacement is just a stones throw away.
                          Well, jimjim, you know you just jinxed that part number. A '69 Imperial is now forty-two years old and since you've made your happiness contingent upon its' continued existence, that alternator is sure to be discontinued the next time you go looking for it. ;>)

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Mopar for future replacement . Why whatever do you mean Jack?

Mine doesn't look any different than many common place Mopar alternators still to be available most anywhere in my life span. Honest. I ain't Lion jimmijim<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,QUOTE=PackardV8;550358]Well, jimjim, you know you just jinxed that part number. A '69 Imperial is now forty-two years old and since you've made your happiness contingent upon its' continued existence, that alternator is sure to be discontinued the next time you go looking for it. ;>)

jack vines[/QUOTE]
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You didn't mention whether you had an R1 or R2. If it's an R1, swapping an alternator is a bit easier due to having a bit more working space.

You may want to look at: Alternator, Beck/Arnley #1866268-0945, '71 Plymouth Fury II V8 6.3L

IIRC, I got this one from Advance Auto Parts. I think that it was 70 A and worked with the Prestolite type regulator (solid state replacements are available and cheap).
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X