Thread: Coolant hose lube?

Coolant hose lube?

I would be interested in anyone's suggestions for a lubricant that helps radiator and heater hoses slide onto fittings. Ideally, I would like to find something that reduces potential for the hoses sticking to the fittings later on as well. I read that there is special purpose hose lube, but I'm enough of a CASO that I hate to go out and buy another bottle of another diffferent type of goo to add to my collection and have it go bad on the shelf before it gets used up.
    I have heard of people using dish soap or soapy water but, as was pointed out by the Car Talk guys recently, that could create foaming and air bubbles in the coolant, so I'm avoiding that. On a recent repair, I simply dipped the hose ends in coolant. If figured that was safe, but it didn't work exceptionally well. Anyway, your home remedies, experiences and idle speculation are welcomed.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Silver Hawk Member
    I have heard of people using dish soap or soapy water but, as was pointed out by the Car Talk guys recently, that could create foaming and air bubbles in the coolant,
    As much as I love to listen to Car Talk, that's just plain silly! They love to get laughs, so sometimes they throw out jokes and it sounds like a recommendation or a warning.

It would require pouring a quantity of dish soap into the coolant to cause a problem. Properly done, a dab of dish soap on the finger, a wipe of the finger inside the hose and on outside of the fitting and no detectable quantity of soap could or should get into the cooling system.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 04-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    PackardV8

President Member
    Spit.

Get my finger all lubed up then wet the hose. Works every time. Gotta be sorta quick as when the spit drys up, so does the sliding.
    Cheap, easy, effective.
    And leaves no slippery remains.

As far as dish soap....the "Car Guys"....and bubbles in the system, just don't use half the bottle..!

Mike

I have not tried this but Lithium grease might be good. But don't you want the hose to stick well? Go with the spit...
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue

See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

KY Jelly ... It is water soluble and safe for use on rubber.

John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Banned
    P-80 is what we used in the assembly plant for hoses & window seals. Don't believe you'll find anything better.

http://www.ipcol.com/shopexd.asp?id=16

WARNING: It ain't cheap, but the best usually isn't!!!

Windex! It's good on many rubber things that have to slip over parts, it's not greasy, you don't have to use a lot, you probably already have some, and it's souluble in water.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Amazingly enough, just wipe some straight, un-diluted, antifreeze on the inside of the hose....it slides right on....no compatiblity issues.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA

Road Racers turn left AND right.

President Member
    Rubbing alcohol. That's what makes Windex work so well.

My Dad always just dipped the end of the hose into the gasolene can & slid the hose on with no problems... I have been doing it for over 50 years. I tried dish soap once and the damn hose "popped off" when pressure built up in the cooling system. Once I got all of that mess cleaned up, out came the gas can! (Stay away from ethanol)

I use a silicone spray lube. Works great on hoses and weatherstripping. Although I really like the KY Jelly idea...

Speedster Member
    3m silicone lubricant,(it is a thick grease), or that found in home centers for faucet and plumbing work- same stuff, is effective . It will form a thin film between the hose and the metal nipple or coupling, and enable easier removal much later. I found it really helped with turbocharger and intercooler couplings, which otherwise are very hard to disassemble after awhile.

I use PAM.
    I keep a can of it in the shop and also use it as cutting fluid.
    In the spring and fall we use it on the noses of our cars to keep Love Bugs from sticking.
    Jeff
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Interesting bug "repellent" idea, Jeff!
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

President Member
    I've rarely used anything other than water or water and antifreeze on any car I've ever owned. Sure, getting the hoses on and off can be a pain and sometimes lead to bleeding, but I'm of the school of thought that a couple band-aids is a lot more affordable than being caught with a hose that pops off because it has lubricant on it. Several years ago, a buddy of mine who seemed to think silicone solved all of life's problems was driving through Middleofnowhere Nebraska (that's somewhere west of Kearney, for those unfamiliar with the region) and one of his silicone-lubed radiator hoses popped right off. I can't quite remember if it was the radiator or the engine side that came free, but regardless, the hose managed to make contact with the fan. So aside from radiator fluid being everywhere, the hose was damaged as well. Sure, it only took a few hours and $50 to get back on the road, but that's $50 and and a few hours lost compared to maybe an extra 20 minutes that it would take to wrangle a dry or water-lubed hose onto the radiator. A stitch in time saves nine, or something like that...
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, toddler seat

Visit my Studebaker-specific Blog - YouStude
    My "other" blog (Stude and non-Stude stuff) - Renaissance Jim

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    I use PAM.
    I keep a can of it in the shop and also use it as cutting fluid.
    In the spring and fall we use it on the noses of our cars to keep Love Bugs from sticking.
    Jeff
    How do you think Jim Pierce keeps the bottom of his Avanti so spotless after driving cross-country to a Stude meet?
    Matthew Burnette

...driving through Middleofnowhere Nebraska (that's somewhere west of Kearney, for those unfamiliar with the region)
    Jim
    As a resident of "middleofnowhere", I'm "familiar with the region". Your friend couldn't have picked a better place to break down and spend a few hours
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE