Headlamp Bulbs 6012 versus 6014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlamp Bulbs 6012 versus 6014

My 1964 Challenger has 6012 headlamp bulbs probably the original bulbs as it only has 38,000 miles on it and was stored almost 40 years. One lamp is burned out on low beam. Available local replacement is 6014 which I am told is a brighter lamp which draws more power. Is there any problem such as overloading the wiring or a fuse with using the 6014 lamps?
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Originally posted by bjackameit View Post
    My 1964 Challenger has 6012 headlamp bulbs probably the original bulbs as it only has 38,000 miles on it and was stored almost 40 years. One lamp is burned out on low beam. Available local replacement is 6014 which I am told is a brighter lamp which draws more power. Is there any problem such as overloading the wiring or a fuse with using the 6014 lamps?
    No, not usually.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

You can use 6024 halogen bulbs which draw less current, but should be replaced in pairs. I use them in my Studebakers and the headlights are a bunch brighter. Bud

Comment

but........you will draw much more current with the halogens than originals and trip the HL breaker causing intermittant "no lights" phenomenon..
        not a fun time the 1st time it happens.....did I say you will have "no lights" when you hit the "passing beam/dimmer/hi beam switch...

Comment

I've never had a problem with the breaker tripping in any of the older cars that I've retrofitted with halogen bulbs. I would suspect a defective breaker or some other problem in the headlight circuit. Bud

Comment

I put halogens in the Champ and have never had a problem with them. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

I ran a test on 6012, 6014 and 6024 headlights this afternoon. At 14 volts a 6012 bulb draws 2 amps on low beam, a 6014 draws 3 amps and a 6024 draws 1.75 amps. On high beam a 6012 draws 3 amps, a 6014 draws 3.5 amps and a 6024 draws 4 amps. The increase in current draw between the 6012 and the 6024 headlights shouldn't cause problems with a headlight circuit that is in good condition. Bud

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                I put halogens in the Champ and have never had a problem with them. Steve
                I switched over to halogen sealed beams shortly after I purchased my Transtar. No problems in the past 3 1/2 years (and way better night illumination).
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Interesting. You fellas that are using the 6024 Halogens, are you running them through the stock Stude wiring and light switch or are you utilizing a relay setup?
                  Dean

CLEM

Comment

Wiring

Originally posted by Clem64 View Post
                    Interesting. You fellas that are using the 6024 Halogens, are you running them through the stock Stude wiring and light switch or are you utilizing a relay setup?
                    I am using a modern wiring harness and the headlamp switch was replaced with a NOS unit, but no relays or other modifications have been added on my truck.
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

I've always ran Halogens in my Studes. Never any problems.

Comment

6012 50/40 watt Original spec. 6014 60/50 watt replaces 6012 H6014 60/50 watt Halogen 6015 60/50 watt long-life H6024 65/35 watt Halogen H6024 XV 65/55 watt Extra-bright, long life

Comment

The Halogens in my '63 Avanti have caused no problems for about 9 years.

Comment

Low voltage is what kills most halogen bulbs (besides finger oil on the bulbs)...
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers. In the past I have installed the Halogens in older non-Stude cars without any switch issues. I had heard that the Stude switch is the weak link. Apparently not.
                              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                              X