Replacement radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Replacement radiator

Anyone recommend a replacement radiator for a 1952 Studebaker Champion? I am not looking for NOS or repo. Just something that will work that I can pick up at a FLAPS. Someone said a '69 Mustang radiator for a v8 would work (I have an inline 6). I am not worried about the bolt holes as I can fab those up.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Unless your rad is missing or your tanks are shot, why not get it recored?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

the tanks are shot.

Comment

I am using a Mustang radiator in my 51 and 48. I think I have posted this before.

Comment

Here is the 48 when I built it.
          Attached Files

Comment

STDE5, awesome thanks for the information. What year Mustang radiator? 1969 V8 Mustang radiator?

Comment

The one in my 48 is from a 67 but I think they are like the 69. It is a 289 Radiator. I didn't measure it but I bet it fits the 65 Mustang setting behind the 48.

Comment

awesome, thanks

Comment

Hey guys,

I can't speak about what'll specifically fit your car, but I can be sure of the differences in early Mustang radiators. It's a great choice to use a Mustang radiator because there are so many choices on the shelf at the parts stores.

1965-66 Mustang V8 radiators are identical as 260/289 was the only V8 option.

In 67 the radiators physically got 2 inches wider to fit the larger-for-67 core support and are dimentionally the same through 1970. Everything got bigger for 71-73.

67 still had 289s which use both upper and lower hose inlets on the same side. In 68-70 the 302, 351W, 351C, 390, and 427 were all available in the Mustang, not to mention the 200 and 250 six shooters. All the different radiators for those engines will physically interchange with one another with the exception of core depths and hose inlet diameters and locations. Some have the upper inlet on the right, some on the left. Same for the lowers inlets.

The point is, there's a bunch of possibilities in 67-70 mustang radiators. There are probably 20 different combinations. While they are all the same in lenght and width, it's worth exploring which configuration of core row size and hose inlet location is best suited for your application. When I was looking for a replacement radiator for a 67 Mustang project with a non-original engine, I found auto parts stores websites to be a big help. Most sites like autozone.com and advanceauto.com will show pictures of each radiator so you can see the inlet locations and core width.

The only bummer on those websites is that you have to keep entering in new info to see the pics. For example, enter in that your car is a 68 Mustang with a 302 and you can see the pic of that radiator. Then go back and change the info to a 68 Mustang with a 390, check the pic and look for differences.

Once you find one that matches your configuration, just order it from the store. The cheapest ones are from the most common engines. Anything that originally fit a straight six, 289, 302 or 351 should be around $150. The 390 and 427 stuff starts getting a bit pricey...

Hope that helps!
                  Last edited by vintageblueoval; 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM.
                  T.J. Fletcher
                  North Atlanta, Ga
                  1958 Champion 2-door sedan

Comment

Working...
                  X