Backup light sedan c/k difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup light sedan c/k difference

Going through my Dad's stuff I came about 3 backup lights of 1955 vintage. All three were used and had the tri-star. Two were very nice!!! .... had a short housing. The other had some acne and had a long housing.

Is the long one for the C/K, and the short ones for the sedans?

Thanks

Kevin

Yes, but I believe the tri-star lense would have been used in '53. Tri-stars dissappeared from later models because Mercedes thought it an infringement. Will need to check the parts catalog to see if the lenses are designated through certain VIN numbers.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, but I believe the tri-star lense would have been used in '53. Tri-stars dissappeared from later models because Mercedes thought it an infringement. Will need to check the parts catalog to see if the lenses are designated through certain VIN numbers.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, there's a difference in the housing between sedan and C/K and this applies across the years. You can mount a wrong housing on a car BUT they will face the wrong way, as in point downward, etc. The difference in lens, tri-star vs smooth is year based but switchable, i.e. a 53 tri-star can be switched for smooth lens -meaning the housing is the same from 53-55. But check the parts cataloge, to verify what we say and when in doubt.

Best Regards,
        Eric West
        "The Speedster Kid"
        Sunny Northern California
        Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
        And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
        55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
        55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
        Best Regards,
        Eric West
        "The Speedster Kid"
        And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)

Comment

Yes, there's a difference in the housing between sedan and C/K and this applies across the years. You can mount a wrong housing on a car BUT they will face the wrong way, as in point downward, etc. The difference in lens, tri-star vs smooth is year based but switchable, i.e. a 53 tri-star can be switched for smooth lens -meaning the housing is the same from 53-55. But check the parts cataloge, to verify what we say and when in doubt.

Best Regards,
          Eric West
          "The Speedster Kid"
          Best Regards,
          Eric West
          "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

He had a Speedster that we sold last fall. He must have bought the nicer short housing units for the car thinking they were for the car and not a sedan.

I did a little research and it looks as if the 55 grill center was the same for all models. The side grills look right, but I understand they are different as well as bumpers and foglights.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Comment

He had a Speedster that we sold last fall. He must have bought the nicer short housing units for the car thinking they were for the car and not a sedan.

I did a little research and it looks as if the 55 grill center was the same for all models. The side grills look right, but I understand they are different as well as bumpers and foglights.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Comment

The center grille IS the same - the side grilles are different. The longer BU lite housing is for the C-K cars (speedster included) and lots of BU lite kits that were sold after '53, still had the tri-star lenses in them.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The center grille IS the same - the side grilles are different. The longer BU lite housing is for the C-K cars (speedster included) and lots of BU lite kits that were sold after '53, still had the tri-star lenses in them.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X