Pricing for re-chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing for re-chrome?

Never having done it before... What is the expected range of cost for re-chroming automotive trim items? Is it by the size, shape, condition, etc? Is it best to pre-finish (sand/strip/sand-blast etc.) parts before getting them done?

For items like hood ornament, tail light bezels, dash chrome, can anyone give an approximate price based on sq. inches, weight, size, etc?

Or... give me examples of what you've paid for various chrome jobs.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

It largely depends on two factors, condition of the part and level of the job. i.e. a quick replate of a decent hood ornament might be $150, show chrome on a pitted one, 3-4 times that. I paid $4500 total for decent chrome on all the above average parts on my 57 Golden Hawk.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Also, it seems to matter whether the part is hard metal, or pot metal. Pot metal being softer is harder to work, making it more expensive. For example, to recrome the back bumper on my 62 Gt, was $230.00. To rechrome the chrome shell of the grill, which is pot metal, he is quoting $500.00.

Comment

I paid 700 for the front and rear on my Avanti.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

If I've got decent chrome on a piece with some pitting, would I be smarter to give it to the plater as is, or try to remove or smooth the finish first? Fortunately, all my big pieces (bumpers) are OK, but several small pieces (hood ornament, pot-metal tail light bezels, dash chrome) all need work.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Don't mess with it, let the pro's deal with the pits. Shallow ones they may be able to grind out, some they may need to fill.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert-63
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

All the good platers I'm aware of will give a quote if you send them the part. If you don't like the price they'll send it back. Nothing ventured, nothing lost, nothing gained. But send them only to highly recommended platers. You don't want to agree on a price and have it returned with all semblance of detail gone.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey Paul, I never could find the other front fender ornament that I have, but do you still want the hood ornament?

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Leonard - actually I found a very good hood ornament, with very slight pitting. Thanks anyway. Also I've decided to forget the fender spears - I think I like the "naked" fender look better. My major desire for rechroming is the tail-light bezels (which are pot metal I believe) and the interior dash trim pieces.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I had my bumpers done at Vernes in LA, Ca. They did a good job and
                    it was a quick turn around. They came highly recommended on more then
                    one of the forums I frequent.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Just about any shop can do steel stuff - bumpers, guards an such. And lots of shops will take your pot metal and promise you'll be happy with it when they're done. THERE'S where you wanna be cautious and count on getting what you pay for (althought NOT ALWAYS, as one local Speedster restorer recently found out[V]). If they're gonna "fix" the pitting by grinding it away - RUN - run as fast as you can, from that place! They're gonna get rid of the pits alright, and you get back a nice, shiny sorta something to bolt on your hood.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What is your suggestion for pot-metal? What question do I ask (and what answers should I look for) for pot-metal? Do you recommend mailing the small parts to a reputable plater? Verne's was mentioned above, and Quality Pot Metal Works is on the vendor's page. I may visit a few local shops and see what kind of work they do on pot-metal. Thanks for any more suggestions.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Just email Vernes and ask them, they were good about responses. Maybe
                          others that HAVE had pot metal parts done there will speak up. I know
                          they did a good job on my bumpers, I was amazed at how well the rear
                          came out. There was a LOT of rust at two areas, with craters. They
                          had to level that off, I dont see any dimpling or otherwise. Not even
                          a sign of where the rust was. They do Studebaker parts often enough
                          to know that the front Avanti bumper was 3 pieces, they also said that
                          the later Avanti II bumpers were thinner metal, and were not worried
                          about fixing the rust since they had material to work with. He was
                          telling me about the Ferrari bumpers they do that are SO thin they do
                          hours and hours of reworking to make them right. I would assume that
                          with that level of knowledge they can do pot metal, but I havent seen
                          any done by them personally.

Tom

Comment

If you are a member of your local chapter, there are surely others in your chapter who have had show restorations done. Ask them for their recommendations.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

While I am a long way from Vegas(Indianapolis) I would highly recomend a local Indianapolis Chrome Plater for those pot metal items. The business is called Metal Finishing on East 26th St,ask for Damion 317 546 9004.

I have had numerous parts rechromed and am thrilled with all the results.Damion told me that pot metal is difficult and very few people do it properly. He told me pitted metal must be drilled out and filled as it is cancer to metal and must be removed. after filling it must be copper plated buffed then plated and buffed.

My side grilles on 56J 300.00 each, front grille 400.00, ash trays 40.00 each.

Metal Finishing was recommended to me by another Stude member who had his "pot metal" done there and was thrilled. They aren't fast but the work is worth the wait.

If you choose to call him or send parts, please tell him Joe Bacon sent you, might help in your pricing as well as others in the future.

Last time I do this,I promise
                              It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                              X