Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on a 472 Cadillac engine swap into a Hawk??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

3. The challenge is getting the steering center pivot and the engine crank pulleys to co-exist. If you keep the AC and PS pulleys on there, clearance is in fractions of an inch. This one of the very, very few times a rack and pinion steering could be rationally recommended. With the center pivot gone, the engine can sit low enough to get everything under the hood. The good news is the Cad came in low-hoodline cars, so the intake, air cleaner and front mounted distributor are squashed down already. Some of the aftermarket aluminum intakes are too tall.

jack vines
    Could the steering pivot be any closer than it is in an Avanti II with the Chevy motor? That clearance is about 1/4". If it does not clear, maybe a smaller crank pulley and a mod of the others may work.

Comment

Could the steering pivot be any closer than it is in an Avanti II with the Chevy motor? That clearance is about 1/4". If it does not clear, maybe a smaller crank pulley and a mod of the others may work.
      No, obviously, the bottom of the pulley can't be any closer than with the SBC. However, the Cadillac engine is taller than the SBC.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

While I haven't seen it for a while, there was a 59 or 60 Lark with a 472 "based" Cad. engine in it.
        Home made tunnel ram poking thru the hood, dark blue, Center Line wheels.

A coupla older guys ran the car. Clean and constantly ran in the low 10sec./high 9sec. bracket depenfing on where he was (altitude). And the engine wasn't all that radical..!

Mike

Comment

The Caddy engine

I am sorry but I don'believe scott has an email address---
          Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
          Do you have an e-mail address for Scott?
          Brian

Comment

Mike, That was Baker Automotive.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Dang nab it Jerry, some day I'm gonna hack your photobucket account to look at all the Stude things you've done over the years. Nice work.

Bob
              Not really much to see, but have at it.

I'm just a pore ole dumb country boy havin' fun.
              I don't seem to be able to finish many projects, but I sure am having fun starting them.
              OcrappyOne (wife unit) calls me a project starter, not a project finisher.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I don't understand why you want to use a 40 year old engine. I have seen big block Cadillacs and other engines in various rods, but these were all built years ago. If you are going to all of the work, why not use a more modern engine, like from the past decade? I am sure that you can find a much newer engine that has as much, or more, horsepower, is smaller, weighs less and gets better fuel mileage.
                I guess because I'm "old school" & want the car to look like a 1970's era hotrod of my youth, I have no interest in a smallblock, fuel injected hi tech motor. I know there is a rationalization for newer/better, but that's why I'm opting for an old hotrod Studillac & leaving the late model supercharged Mustang stuff to my son-just different eras, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

32 more pictures here................
                  http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/575614086oFkgkX
                  I was searching on Google when i found this thread where else on SDC
                  then i looked at Jerry's album very cool
                  I have a ?? 500 Caddy or maybe 472 motor with a EGR valve i got in Ohio
                  years back with a 49 Buick Super fastback cars gone still have the motor
                  so the way Jerry fit that Caddy in the 53 coupe has me thinking may be
                  the motor has found a place to live

Comment

Calvin's doin' OK (for an Oldcarfart)...
                    He sticks his nose in here every once and a while..
                    Here's the pic's you mentioned....
                    http://rides.webshots.com/album/91238797eqIUTx
                    As a side note...
                    He sold the Stude, and recently got it back, minus the Caddy engine..
                    It might be available again...
                    Jeff
                    PS: Teaser pic:

Originally posted by 8E12T6 View Post
                    there are some excellent photo's on Old Car Fart's adventures with the Caddy & Stude. IIRC, Mr Rice put them up on webshots years ago. btw, anyone know the whereabouts and health of OCF? I miss him.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      PS: Teaser pic:
                      Wow that is pretty as a picture fits like a glove

Comment

rack and pinion in stude caddy swap

what is the source of the rack and pinion that is pictured in the photos of the stude/caddy swap? I''m doing a 472 into a 57
                        Thanks
                        Chris

Comment

Seems I remember reading somewhere that the guy(s) who designed the original Caddy V8 also had a finger in the Studebaker V8 design pie...? I know the Cad intake manifolds are very close and can be made to fit the Studebaker with a little carving.

Comment

The Caddy intake can be made to bolt on, but the fit is not very good for performance.
                            Look in the search box for Stude and Caddy history.
                            Volumes have been posted on this subject..... Some of it is even true!

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                            Seems I remember reading somewhere that the guy(s) who designed the original Caddy V8 also had a finger in the Studebaker V8 design pie...? I know the Cad intake manifolds are very close and can be made to fit the Studebaker with a little carving.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

caddy to stude swap

getting the engine to fit was a piece of cake. took the stude motor mount from the 289, cut it, added a 1" piece to widen it lengthwise, welded it up and bolted it to the caddy block. Modified the rubber mount on the drivers side to be a bolt thru the rubber donut with leftover shock rubbers above the block mount and below the frame mount (a trick learned from racing a Lark to handle the torque). welded a piece of angle to the front of the trans crossmember and slipped the engine in with a short extension turbo 400. had to remove the pipe plug from the passenger side head rear and replace with a recessed plug to allow clearance from the firewall. use a remote oil filter kit from Summit Racing ($40) to relocate the oil filter which will interfere with the front crossmember. Used a 425 caddy rear sump pan and fabricated a rear oil pump pickup from some 1/2" tubing. 4 row radiator for the heat. am going to have to fab a stiffener brace for the hawk frame tho as the caddy really flexes the frame. will put it in where the old driveshaft bearing mounted.

two avantis, 57 bought by parents in 57, 51 pickup and other toys. anybody need a 289 225hp, 3 sp od drivetrain?

Comment

Working...
                              X