Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Candy

Studebaker US6 by W.Grabar, on Flickr

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

It's great to see a Studebaker military truck. The only one I ever saw was at the National meet in Lancaster, PA. If I remember correctly, it was also a deuce-and-a-half.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Looks like Russian helicopters in the background...
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

When I moved close to Fort Bragg, NC in the seventies, there were a bunch of these trucks around. I know of a couple of cable contractors that bought and used two US 6 trucks for quite a while. I'd love to have one now.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
          It's great to see a Studebaker military truck. The only one I ever saw was at the National meet in Lancaster, PA. If I remember correctly, it was also a deuce-and-a-half.
          Rog
          I do not think that the pictured truck is a Studebaker. There is no vent window in the door (the best that I can see).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary may be correct - the Soviets were pretty good at making duplicates of items from other nations - would not really know for sure until closer inspection...

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I do not think that the pictured truck is a Studebaker. There is no vent window in the door (the best that I can see).
              I'm going to stand in studegary's corner on this one. It just doesn't look 'studebakerish' enough for me. I would bet its a Russian copy made in the 60's/70's.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-w6
              1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

They still make Studebakers in Russia, don't they?

Comment

I am thinking that it is a GMC. Instead of a Studebaker.

Comment

I don't think it is a GMC. If I remember right, it has a different shaped cab, and a smaller looking front. Also, the hoods on them are at a different angle, and "thinner" from top to bottom. I think it could be either a Stude or a Russian copy, as it looks to have had some work done to it. Even the bottom of the doors look rebuilt, and maybe not the best at that either.
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I'd say it is a US6, made by Studebaker, and that it's had a very superficial restoration, with sheet Plexi being used in the doors instead of the proper windows and vents.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The truck certainly has Studebaker features. Since it is on the stand and the windows look strange, I wonder if it has something other than glass in the windows for a static display. I have seen that kind of thing done with other military vehicles displayed outside.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's not a GMC. The "whitewall" rims suggest Mayday in Red Square, though!

Comment

I have to agree with Gordon on this one. The shape of the cab which is way different than a GMC, also the front fenders have a different curve than GMC. The side window is probably plexiglas to keep the weather out and therefore the wing window was removed. It appears to be part of an outdoor military museum in Russia. My guess is that it is a Studebaker built in the U.S and shipped to Russia during WWII under the lend-lease program.
                            Originally posted by gordr View Post
                            I'd say it is a US6, made by Studebaker, and that it's had a very superficial restoration, with sheet Plexi being used in the doors instead of the proper windows and vents.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

> Studebaker <

Comment

Working...
                              X