Thread: Stolen Studebaker Alert, now w/ 2 photos

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Stolen Studebaker Alert, now w/ 2 photos

This just in from Indy Chapter SDC Member Andy Hess. This car is reasonably complete but needs a full restoration. I'll post a picture of the rig later, but wanted to get this out ASAP: BP

My newly acquired 1938 Commander State sedan and car trailer have been stolen from the storage facility on West 10th street here in Indianapolis. I have attached a picture of both the car and the trailer. The trailer has 1961 Studebaker full wheel covers on it, and a jack with a wheel on the right side of the tongue. The car was covered with a large blue tarp.

Andy's Commander had lanquished on consignment in a small hobby collector car store for several years in little Bainbridge IN maybe 60 miles due west of Indianapolis, where I had seen it [inside] before Andy bought it. All parties finally got together on it last year some time.

Andy bought it and pulled it onto his trailer and had it stored in a place he felt was secure until he could take it home. IIRC, it had been there maybe 3 or 4 months before it disappeared. Bummer.

There just aren't that many of these around and the car is far from operable, although it was said to run maybe 12-15 years ago. So I hope this Amber Alert causes someone to see this rig flying down the interstate. If you see it, be assured that it isn't being pulled by the rightful owner unless the guy's Drivers License says Andy Hess!

Andy is a super-nice guy who would have done this car proud in due time. I hope we can nail it down for him. Thanks for all keeping their eyeballs peeled.BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-19-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add second photo of rig and further description

It is exactly this kind of thing that boils my blood. I truly hope the car and trailer finds it's true owner. Good Luck, Junior.

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Does Mr. Hess have any pictures of the trailer and/or car to post on here? It might be very helpful.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Does Mr. Hess have any pictures of the trailer and/or car to post on here? It might be very helpful.
    Just posted, Milaca. Thanks for keeping your eyes open. BP

Speedster Member
    I saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. I'll try to find the ad again.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by satdoc2 View Post
    i saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. i'll try to find the ad again.allen
    try real hard, allen! bp

Those modern Turn signals and Three bumper Guards should make it easy to spot.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    I looked at all of the search sites again that I checked the last few days and I don't see it. Do you have a picture of the drivers side. I could tell if it was the one i saw.
    Allen

President Member Anne F. Goodman's Avatar
    I saw one for sale like this one just in the last few days. I remember showing the picture of it to my wife and commenting on the thicker metal used on the sheet metal. The large spot of paint missing on the left fender looks familiar. I'll try to find the ad again.
    Allen
    Is this the one you saw?
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2210254107.html
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

I looked at all of the search sites again that I checked the last few days and I don't see it. Do you have a picture of the drivers side. I could tell if it was the one i saw.
    Allen
    No, Allen; the above is the only photo I have.
    I have sent this link to Andy Hess, but I'm not sure if he is registered on the forum.
    He may see your post and supply other photos.
    Thanks for trying. BP

Wow :: I inquired about that car recently . It was for sale last year and cheap too . Wish i would have snatched it up . Could have used a ton of parts off it for my rig . . . . . . . . .
    Hope all turns out well .........

Quote Originally Posted by aarrggh View Post
    Wow: I inquired about that car recently. It was for sale last year and cheap too . Wish I would have snatched it up. Could have used a ton of parts off it for my rig . . . . . . . . .
    Hope all turns out well .........
    Yes, the car had been advertised off and on in various venues more than two years. Like many projects, the asking price was simply too high for what it was, although it was certainly more than a parts car.

Andy got there about the time the "dealer" and his friend who had it consigned, decided it really needed to leave, and would talk turkey with Andy...in fact, IIRC, it was at our SDC Indy Chapter "Thanksgiving Dinner" that Andy showed us the pictures and told us the story of his newly-acquired pride and joy.

Let's hope he gets it back. BP

I recently received an email from Richard Poe concerning this stolen car. I have posted it in our newsletter which should go out the first of the week. If we spread this information out far enough we are bound to find this car. Let's just hope it is found before something ugly happens to it.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

5PM Saturday, February 19, 2011: 'Just got this dispatch from Andy Hess. I had asked him if he had any other details, when he thought it was stolen, etc. Obviously, it was sometime between January 1 and February 16. (The posted pictures were taken earlier without the tarp, when he first bought the car and it was strapped down from having made the trip back to Indianapolis from Bainbridge.) With the security cameras and all, this should be "solvable." At least we'd hope so:

Bob: I checked on the car and trailer 12/31. Everything was fine. Thursday [Feb 17] I went and started the '50, and went to the storage place and found it gone. Car and trailer were covered with big blue tarp and tied securely. Of course that was gone too.

The facility is locked, with a gate operated by keypad; both outside and inside. There is a security camera; hopefully something can be seen from that. I'm sure that they wanted the trailer - there was no way to know what was under the tarp. Hopefully the car is not cut-up, crushed, or worse!

They probably had an "oh-s***" moment the first hard stop - the car was not strapped down on the trailer!

Thanks for your help on this.
    Andy and Cathy

Golden Hawk Member
    The first thought that I had was that every storage facility that I know of has security cameras to record everything that comes and goes through the gate. I hope that Andy can get the plate number and description of the vehicle that pulled it out.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I hope Andy can recover the car. This kind of thing has me considering how to best protect my Avanti when it is finished with its restoration. I think I'm going to spend the money and invest in a GPS/cellular tracking device to hide in the vehicle. The software that comes with it lets you check in via cell phone or internet and check on its location, you can also set safe zones around places you frequent so that if it moves out of that radius you are alerted via text message and/or email.

Here's the one I'm considering, it has monthly fees but if you can afford it they have a lifetime upfront payment to covering monitor for as long as you own the device. It is portable and could also be used to track your kids or teenagers should you feel the need to do so.

http://www.zoombak.com/

John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

I have a Kill Switch in my car - so at least it can`t be driven away . .

Quote Originally Posted by JRoberts View Post
    I recently received an email from Richard Poe concerning this stolen car. I have posted it in our newsletter which should go out the first of the week. If we spread this information out far enough we are bound to find this car. Let's just hope it is found before something ugly happens to it.
    Continuing on this thought... Andy (or someone on his behalf) should send the details and the photo to every car club in and around the Indy area. A quick Google search turned up several.

If the thief is a "car guy" he'll have to say something to somebody that knows somebody in a car club. The clubs have ways to get the word out to their members. I'd ask them for help by emailing th details and photo to their members right away.

Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

the facility is locked, with a gate operated by keypad; both outside and inside. There is a security camera; hopefully something can be seen from that. I'm sure that they wanted the trailer - there was no way to know what was under the tarp. Hopefully the car is not cut-up, crushed, or worse!

This little foible might yield some information, and a good place to start. I would almost wonder if it was an "inside job". The only way in and out is through a gate with a keypad, so that would mean either the owner, or an owner of a neighboring lockup would need to know the combination. That could lead to asking the owner of the lockup for a record of every yahoo that passed through the place at the time the car went missing. Of course, I can't rule out an owner or the owner of an adjoining lockup giving somebody else the combination to the keypad, but in any event, it would have to be somebody who has knowledge of the combination.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

President Member
    My boss had a boat and trailer stolen fron a storage facility in a similar manner. several had been stolen over time according to the police. The suspicion is that he sells them and then files an insurance claim with his insurance company when the owner discovers it missing.

Any update to this missing gem ? Im always interested in a fellow 38 car . . . .

I'll certainly keep an eye out here on the East Coast.

Speedster Member
    Found this '38 Commander State on Craigslist not too far away if someone wants to check it out.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/2230665855.html
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

Question PDF Flyer of Information

Their were a lot of 1938 Parts being sold at the York All Studebaker Swap Meet in PA this weekend (March 3, 4, & 5) but as far as I can tell they were all being sold by former SDC VP Richard Dormois who does own a 38 or two himself!?

Also, I did make up a PDF Flyer of information posted in this Forum and sent it to most of the Online SDC Newsletter editors I had contact with. The only thing I don't have on it is how to contact the owner if someone finds something but doesn't have access to this Forum?

Peter C.
    Last edited by T442163; 03-06-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: HTML codes don't work?

President Member
    I have spoken with the fellow, his name is Thomas, who owns the car in Kankakee, Il. He was supposed to send me some pics, but I haven't received them yet, and that was about a week ago. I got the impression from talking to him that he had owned the car a long time. I'm still interested, but I'll check it out thoroughly if I hear from him again.

Why in the world would you advertise your anti-theft measure on a public forum????

Quote Originally Posted by aarrggh View Post
    I have a Kill Switch in my car - so at least it can`t be driven away . .

Richard was humping parts into his area all weekend.
    He used two or ten '38 Stude's building his Coupe Express...
    He drove from Arizona to York to sell his pittance of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by T442163 View Post
    Their were a lot of 1938 Parts being sold at the York All Studebaker Swap Meet in PA this weekend (March 3, 4, & 5) but as far as I can tell they were all being sold by former SDC VP Richard Dormois who does own a 38 or two himself!? <snip>

President Member Nelsen Motorsports's Avatar
    Best anti-theft device, removable steering wheel and to always carry the coil wire in your pocket.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Why in the world would you advertise your anti-theft measure on a public forum????
    Back when i lived in New Jersey i use to leave my Stude unlocked , windows down , and keys still in the ignition while i walked around at the local car shows .
    Of course thats something i would`nt do now .