Daytona 500-1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona 500-1959

Robert L. "Bobby" Korn, age 83, of Miamisburg, Ohio passed away on February 3, 2011. Bobby was the car builder/engine builder/chief mechanic on the # 69 1959 Studebaker Lark that was raced in the inaugural Daytona 500. The Lark piloted by the late Harold Smith qualified at 116.414 mph. Following qualification, Harold ran in a 100 mile qualifying race finishing 21st out of 38 entries. In the 500 mile race he started 50th out of 59 entires and advanced to finish 31st and was was running at the end of the event.

Bobby Korn was involved in automobile racing for 70 years. He a four time winner of the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series Regional Mechanic of the Year award as well as a winner of the NASCAR National Short Track Weekly Racing Series Craftsman Mechanic of the Year award. In 2009 Bobby was inducted in the Inaguaral Dayton (OH) Speedway Hall of Fame. Over his racing lifetime, Bobby's cars won hundreds of races and numerous track championships.

Funeral services will take place on Friday, February 11th in Miamisburg.

Bob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL
    sigpicBob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL

Bob, thanks for passing along this information.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanks, Bob. 'Sad to see these guys pass away...especially with a name like Bobby! <GGG>

Not too long ago, was there are Studebaker or parts for sale in Miamisburg? On second thought, I believe it was an old-timey junk yard closing down. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Scroll down for a picture of the car with a 340+ cubic inch engine.

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I noted this comment in the caption about the 1959 Daytona race.

The importance of aerodynamics at the superspeedway was still something of a secret when Bob and Harold and the rest of their crew took the brick-shaped Studebaker Lark to the high-speed track.
          OUCH!
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

And they called the 49-51 fords a the shoe box, I think the lark is more of a shoe box than the ford.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Comment

Matthew: Thanks for posting a photo of a 1960 Lark which resembles the 59 that Harold Smith raced in the Daytona 500 that year. The car in the photo still has its 6 cylinder engine. This car is owned by Walt Keller of Daytona Beach, FL.

Bob Coolidge
                DeLand, FL
                sigpicBob Coolidge
                DeLand, FL

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Bob. I took that photo at the Daytona Rod Run in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    This car is on display in the garage area at the Daytona Speedway. It's parked next to Marshall Teague's Fabulous Hudson Hornet.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Thought I would bring this back to the top in response to the other thread. NT
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                      X