No announcement yet.

Brand X motor swaps in Studebaker 53-61 C-K bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of the DOHC Cobra/MarkVIII swap. How about a Cadillac Northstar(after the head bolts have been fixed)? Viper V-10.....Mercedes of BMW V-12....get creative and have fun! If you have to stoop to a chevy , customize it with Stude valve covers....keep 'em guessing!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If I was to do my car over again, I would have to agree with Pat Dilling,and go with the LS series Chevy engine. Tops in the performance/value/weight/and mileage dept. This engine, without a doubt, is about to be as popular as the SBC....for something completely different, I have thought about the DOHC in line six that was available in the Trail Blazer for the past 10years. That would keep my Champion a Champion, is all aluminum, has decent power (290hp IIRC) and is a modern domestic design that is tight/compact/non-leaking/and has EFI. and would give off that lovely inline 6 sound. Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        <snip> and would give off that lovely inline 6 sound. Junior
        I have owned a LOT of cars over the years, and I still think the nicest sounding one I have ever owned was a '54 C**vy straight 6, with a split exhaust manifold and glass packs.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

As has been said well earlier, the only logical swap today is the best GM LS engine you can afford. They are light, compact, and make more horsepower than any of the older designs.

However, no one in his right mind does an engine swap, especially in an old Stude. The logical thing to do is buy a new car.

If I were doing another C/K and didn't want a Studebaker V8, then I'd use a Packard V8. If not either, then a 500" Cadillac V8.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I have them all a 57 Golden hawk and supercharger, a full package 64GT R-2 with power shift, a 53 chop top coupe with R-3 clone and 4 speed, a 63 Standard with R-1 and 4 speed, a 67 Avanti with 300 hp 327 and a 62 GT custom with 300 Hp 327 and 4 speed, so what one do I like the most? 67 Avanti and the 64 GT, so I guess it is the best of both worlds.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

My first choice for a C & K is the 392 hemi. The smaller 50s hemi's as second choice, then the 331-390 Caddy, 371-394 Olds, 364-425 Nailhead...ect. or even the good 'ol Studebaker V-8.
              I look at it this way, a C & K Stude is a classic with a heritage tradition all of its own. There is nothing (within reason) that is ever going to make it perform on the par with a 'modern' vehicle.
              Certainly you can swap the latest LS or Mod or whatever into it, but that same engine in the vehicle it was pulled from would likely be able circles around your 50+ yr old long wheel based flexi-framed hot rod. If you want a late Camaro you might as well just buy a late Camaro - or Mustang.

Yes, I'm aware of those builds that have been done utilizing custom frames and Vette suspensions, and very few of us have the skills, the time, the endurance, or the $$,$$$ to go there. And if you do, it is highly unlikely that you would ever use such a custom fabricated vehicle in such manner as to garner benifit from all that time, money, and fabrication. Very, very few do. And I submit you can just as much fun, and get just as much admiration (if not more) by sticking with the far simpler 'traditional' engine swaps.

Just me, but I always prefer those ones built in the recognised classic style of the 50s and 60s as being appropriate to this particular vehicle.
              If I bought any Stude with an LS or other late smog-mobile engine already installed, I'd be out searching for one of those older engines for a swap.
              Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I have owned several 1953 Starliners with a variety of V8s, mostly Studebaker. I have had stock 232 (233), 259, supercharged 289 and Chevrolet 350. Locally, I have known of 1953 Starliners with an early hemi and with an Oldsmobile V8.

To build one today, I would recommend going modern and not transplant something that is already an antique itself. I think that a fuel injected V6 with overdrive AT would be a good combination. I would want to stay away from a carb. due to today's 10-15% alcohol fuels.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Powerhawkeye
                  The Bonneville Studebaker C - K history has had more Chevy Ford V8 & flathead and Chrysler V8 motors in them the Studebaker's
                  Well as you can see there are some highly divergent opinions when it comes to engine swapping. Really, you are the only one that can decide what it will be that will give you the most satisfaction.
                  Best wishes with whatever it might be that you decide on.

Comment

Another thing to consider, during the 50s-60s-70s swapping in engines that we consider "traditional" now, was likely considered "radical" at the time. People were swapping in the most modern or most powerful motors available. Putting in a modern fuel injected motor these days follows that element of the hot rod tradition, at least in my opinion.

Pat
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I'm with Pat. While this isn't quite done yet (in final wiring stage) the LS fits pretty nicely, though there were times when I wanted to shoot myself. I didn't use the stock frame, so that just complicated matters.
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                        I look at it this way, a C & K Stude is a classic with a heritage tradition all of its own. There is nothing (within reason) that is ever going to make it perform on the par with a 'modern' vehicle.
                        Certainly you can swap the latest LS or Mod or whatever into it, but that same engine in the vehicle it was pulled from would likely be able circles around your 50+ yr old long wheel based flexi-framed hot rod. If you want a late Camaro you might as well just buy a late Camaro - or Mustang.
                        What you say has merit, however, a lowly 5.3L Chevy motor can be had for a very reasonable price from the salvage yard. The motor is lighter, far more powerful, fuel efficient, and emission friendly than a Stude engine, with the added bonus it can run on today's fuel, easily last 200,000 miles and will not leak. If the C/K one was building had no engine/trans, why not stuff one of these in it? With some creativity, a person could make one of these motors look period/factory correct to a casual observer...wouldn't fool a Studephile for sure, but would be cool anyways. There was a model A Fuurd Tudor that Hot Rod Mag featured a few years back that had a modern high-strung racing/rally in line 4 installed in it that was painted and detailed like a stock A engine...I thought it was a really cool idea. Junior

'1929' Style Ford Cosworth BDA engine

http://www.mat.fi/n_index.php?nav=gallery_view&gallery=project1929fordmodel-a&g=13From here you find more information and restoration photos of this magnific...

Couldn't resist this youtube clip...not Stude, but 9500 rpm is 9500 rpm!
                        Last edited by junior; 02-05-2011, 08:41 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I am for using a modern fuel injected engine of your choice. My finless '60 Hawk came to me with a 305 Chevy engine and transmission. It fit right in the stock frame rails and had Studebaker suspension. It ran and drove fine with no issues. It just did not suit me, I really wanted a '53-54. Instead of selling the car and finding a '53-54, I set about retrofitting the '60 with '53-'54 sheet metal. I bought a 350 short block and spent a fortune in parts building it up to modern day power levels,
                          with what will probably be suspect reliability issues. Other than block ,crank and rods, it is all aftermarket. I would have been money ahead with a crate engine. In the wake of my folly, I find myself left with a pile of sheet metal to get rid of, not to mention a '53 K body stuck in a building behind four other Studebakers. Whatever you do, have a good plan before you start. Take it from me, my "dart board" plan does not work well.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas

Well i looked up my thread today lots of good ideas so far

When i had my 56 Skyhawk and Powerhawk they both were stock one with a 289/auto the other 259/stick o/d they were a lot of fun running around in

Now with the 53 Studes Champion & Commander coupes both without drive trains & no hood i spent the past 3 days i've been hiding in the basement from the cold on the keyboard looking at craigslist for motors any thing from a small block Chevy to a Pontiac GTO motor or a Olds 350 and it goes on and on till my eyes were crossing the motors were not just for the 53 coupe but also for my 50 Olds 88 coupe there's something about coupes with me

On Craigslist i found many "out of the car motors" that are on the floor that you can't hear running
                            went that route with a 500 Caddy motor that had 77K he said well i tried turning it at home that's the first mistake just took his word for it, so now hearing one run sounds better to me

I would like to go with a fuel injection motor but many say go with a carb it's simpler so i'm still not sure what's going in the 53 Commander, the 5.3 sounds good i have a 03 Silverado with a 5.3 and a loaded trailer that went up the mountains out east when i hauled some ebay cars home i just have to have all those cars are sold and i'm down to 9 old cars

The 53 Stude coupes and the 50 Olds 88 coupe are going to be the keepers
                            so the struggle of finding the right motors at a price i can afford, the search goes on

Comment

Working...
                            X