X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 01-30, 1947 Packard Clipper Fleet/Taxi

A beautifully restored example of one, and one that needs restoring:

Not for the faint of heart:

This project is best having a doner body with all the unique Taxi components such as the framed door glass and opening rear window transferred over.

Craig

Very cool Craig! How many were produced?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Did you notice the Patrician behind the taxi?
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Frank Wogoman had a taxi service in Kendallville and in the late 40's the primary vehicle was a black Packard like in the picture. I cannot recall if there was a light on the roof.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
          Frank Wogoman had a taxi service in Kendallville and in the late 40's the primary vehicle was a black Packard like in the picture. I cannot recall if there was a light on the roof.
          Frank must be a distant cousin to me. Wogoman/Walgamuth...?
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The Packard certainly looks similar in a general way to the Checker in the Taxi Livery. The Packard is better looking and probably rides better though.

Comment

I did not know what the things in the rear window of the Checker were, post #26 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...le-Checker-Cab

Now I do. Nice photos of nice cars! Thanks for showing them.

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                Did you notice the Patrician behind the taxi?
                It's not a Patrician, it's a 1952 Packard '250' convertible. 400/Patrician is a 4 door sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  The Packard certainly looks similar in a general way to the Checker in the Taxi Livery. The Packard is better looking and probably rides better though.
                  The taxi version of the lwb/7-passenger sedan must be even rarer: http://www.junipergallery.com/galler...PY-N4-038A.jpg

Craig

Comment

The 141" lwb version is the Chassis 2220. Body No. 2280 New-York-type which met the required passenger capacity. Quoting from Packard 1948-1950 by Robert J Neal, page 166, 1342 were built. The sole survivor belongs to the same fellow who has the 21st Series Clipper taxi pictured above. It is in rough condition, slowly being restored.

Thanks posting the link to the period photo of one in operation.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the information!

I suspect the rear licence plate relocation and the exterior luggage rack were factory. The Checker I posted a photo of in another thread also has the rear plate in the same location as on the Packard.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Thanks for the information!

I suspect the rear licence plate relocation and the exterior luggage rack were factory. The Checker I posted a photo of in another thread also has the rear plate in the same location as on the Packard.

Craig
                        Looks like maybe it was relocated up there so it is visible when there is a suitcaseon the rack below it.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                          Looks like maybe it was relocated up there so it is visible when there is a suitcase on the rack below it.
                          I agree on that. The Checker cab in the other thread is either missing its rack, or was never ordered with one.

Craig

Comment

New York City had very detailed taxi vehicle specification, in addition to minimum passenger capacity, the trunk had a metal grating installed in the opening to prevent anything being carried in it. This was intended to preclude the ubiquitous taxis from being used to transport contraband. The exterior folding trunk racks were installed to replace the capacity when needed. The high-mounted license plate relocation was intended to make identification easier if the taxi was driven in an unsafe manor. By the way, the competition for a slice of the overall taxi market versus the major makers Checker and Desoto Sky-View was extremely cut-throat. The foray into that segment proved an ultimate failure for the company.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                              New York City had very detailed taxi vehicle specification.....
                              Yes, and you got to love Studebaker's solution to the meeting that challenge: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-(June-3-1963)

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X