Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti - what do you think it's worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti - what do you think it's worth?

I now have a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that was my dad's (he passed away). It's all original with 38,000 miles. Car has been stored for over 20 years. It's currently not running, as it needs work on the rear brakes (weren't getting fluid the last time it was driven). It needs to be completely re-sealed and probably some other engine related work. It should be pretty easy to get running.

Any rough thoughts on what this might be worth, as is? It was my dad's pride and joy, but it's been basically stored as long as I've been alive. He used to drive it once in a great while, but after the brake issue, he never drove it again. The car is in really great shape.

I hate to think about selling it, but maybe someone else can enjoy the car more than I can.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a JDP opportunity ....
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

It would help a lot if you could post current pictures of it here. If you are unable to post pictures, I could give you my E-mail address so that you can send me the pictures so that I can post them here. Being that your name is MNAvanti, does that mean that you reside in Minnesota? Good luck on whatever you decide to do with the car.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by MNAvanti View Post
        I now have a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that was my dad's (he passed away). It's all original with 38,000 miles. Car has been stored for over 20 years. It's currently not running, as it needs work on the rear brakes (weren't getting fluid the last time it was driven). It needs to be completely re-sealed and probably some other engine related work. It should be pretty easy to get running.

Any rough thoughts on what this might be worth, as is? It was my dad's pride and joy, but it's been basically stored as long as I've been alive. He used to drive it once in a great while, but after the brake issue, he never drove it again. The car is in really great shape.

I hate to think about selling it, but maybe someone else can enjoy the car more than I can.

Any thoughts?
        It all depends on condition and equipment. The most valuable would be supercharged 4 speed car, than a supercharged automatic, next a standard engine with air conditioning, and last a base model automatic. Cars like that in excellent contention would bring 10K-15K for standard engines, up to 25K or more for supercharged cars. Cars needing, paint, interior and more attended to could be worth about half that or less. Hog trough, or frame rust, even less. I've recently bought Avanti's for as little as 4K, and even than they had good hog troughs and frames.

Here's a nice supercharged example I just sold as a rough guide to compare with your car, but pictures and a description of yours would help us.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The last car I got (and still have) from MN had been in storage, too. It was in pretty fair condition. Please post more details.
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
            The last car I got (and still have) from MN had been in storage, too. It was in pretty fair condition.
            Understatement of the year?

Comment

The year is young.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm curious about this Avanti, especially if it's in Minnesota....would love to see it.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm really not sure what engine is in it. It's definitely an automatic. My dad always used to say "it was the fastest production car of its time". The VIN (on the title) says 63R3920

It's going to take some effort to get into the spare garage and get pictures. There's about 2 feet of snow in front of all the doors.

It's light blue (baby blue...not sure of the official color name), and has the original 3 prong, "spinner" type wheels. The car really is in great shape.

Comment

JDP - my car looks a lot like the one from the e-bay listing (except the wheels are different).

Comment

Originally posted by MNAvanti View Post
                      JDP - my car looks a lot like the one from the e-bay listing (except the wheels are different).
                      Those are actually original hubcaps on JDP's Avanti, although slightly customized with black paint. If your color is original, it is most likely Avanti Turquoise Metallic, like Jim's car shown just above. The color looks different depending upon how the light reflects from it. Don't bother shoveling out your garage yet, more snow will soon be here.

This link shows colors that were available for 1963, but some of these color were not available on Avantis.
                      Last edited by Milaca; 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I fought thru the snow and took some pictures. Not sure how to add them on here, but e-mail me if you'd like to see them.

Comment

MNAvanti, please check your personal messages above. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It is an R1 engine and the wheels are apparently after market.

Comment

Here are the first batch of pictures of the Avanti.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Avanti 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1667080

Name:	63 Avanti 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1667081

Name:	63 Avanti 002.jpg