Thread: 63 Avanti - what do you think it's worth?

Champion Member

63 Avanti - what do you think it's worth?

I now have a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that was my dad's (he passed away). It's all original with 38,000 miles. Car has been stored for over 20 years. It's currently not running, as it needs work on the rear brakes (weren't getting fluid the last time it was driven). It needs to be completely re-sealed and probably some other engine related work. It should be pretty easy to get running.

Any rough thoughts on what this might be worth, as is? It was my dad's pride and joy, but it's been basically stored as long as I've been alive. He used to drive it once in a great while, but after the brake issue, he never drove it again. The car is in really great shape.

I hate to think about selling it, but maybe someone else can enjoy the car more than I can.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a JDP opportunity ....

John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

It would help a lot if you could post current pictures of it here. If you are unable to post pictures, I could give you my E-mail address so that you can send me the pictures so that I can post them here. Being that your name is MNAvanti, does that mean that you reside in Minnesota? Good luck on whatever you decide to do with the car.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by MNAvanti View Post
    I now have a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that was my dad's (he passed away). It's all original with 38,000 miles. Car has been stored for over 20 years. It's currently not running, as it needs work on the rear brakes (weren't getting fluid the last time it was driven). It needs to be completely re-sealed and probably some other engine related work. It should be pretty easy to get running.

Any rough thoughts on what this might be worth, as is? It was my dad's pride and joy, but it's been basically stored as long as I've been alive. He used to drive it once in a great while, but after the brake issue, he never drove it again. The car is in really great shape.

I hate to think about selling it, but maybe someone else can enjoy the car more than I can.

Any thoughts?
    It all depends on condition and equipment. The most valuable would be supercharged 4 speed car, than a supercharged automatic, next a standard engine with air conditioning, and last a base model automatic. Cars like that in excellent contention would bring 10K-15K for standard engines, up to 25K or more for supercharged cars. Cars needing, paint, interior and more attended to could be worth about half that or less. Hog trough, or frame rust, even less. I've recently bought Avanti's for as little as 4K, and even than they had good hog troughs and frames.

Here's a nice supercharged example I just sold as a rough guide to compare with your car, but pictures and a description of yours would help us.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290517569797
    JDP Maryland

President Member
    The last car I got (and still have) from MN had been in storage, too. It was in pretty fair condition. Please post more details.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmccuan View Post
    The last car I got (and still have) from MN had been in storage, too. It was in pretty fair condition.
    Understatement of the year?

President Member
    The year is young.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

I'm curious about this Avanti, especially if it's in Minnesota....would love to see it.

Champion Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm really not sure what engine is in it. It's definitely an automatic. My dad always used to say "it was the fastest production car of its time". The VIN (on the title) says 63R3920

It's going to take some effort to get into the spare garage and get pictures. There's about 2 feet of snow in front of all the doors.

It's light blue (baby blue...not sure of the official color name), and has the original 3 prong, "spinner" type wheels. The car really is in great shape.

Champion Member
    JDP - my car looks a lot like the one from the e-bay listing (except the wheels are different).

JDP - my car looks a lot like the one from the e-bay listing (except the wheels are different).
    Those are actually original hubcaps on JDP's Avanti, although slightly customized with black paint. If your color is original, it is most likely Avanti Turquoise Metallic, like Jim's car shown just above. The color looks different depending upon how the light reflects from it. Don't bother shoveling out your garage yet, more snow will soon be here.

This link shows colors that were available for 1963, but some of these color were not available on Avantis.
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/Color...7/63VSCOLA.JPG
    Last edited by Milaca; 01-29-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Champion Member
    I fought thru the snow and took some pictures. Not sure how to add them on here, but e-mail me if you'd like to see them.

President Member
    MNAvanti, please check your personal messages above. Thanks

Champion Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It is an R1 engine and the wheels are apparently after market.

Here are the first batch of pictures of the Avanti.
    63 Avanti 003.jpg
    63 Avanti 001.jpg
    63 Avanti 002.jpg
    63 Avanti 005.jpg
    63 Avanti 004.jpg

Next batch of pictures.
    63 Avanti 006.jpg
    Appears to have clear vinyl seat covers protecting original upholstery?63 Avanti 008.jpg
    63 Avanti 007.jpg

If the frame and hog troughs are solid, I'm guessing a 8-10K car based on a 2K or so budget to make it a nice driver. BTW, the AC looks like it was added since the console panel is a Avanti II item, not Studebaker. If you got the car in this condition, you'd have a good idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors//200568095321
    JDP Maryland

President Member
    Strange, door panels are not pleated yet the seats are? The air conditioner ports are mounted in a wood grain panel?? Didn't Studebaker offer that wheel as an option?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Strange, door panels are not pleated yet the seats are? The air conditioner ports are mounted in a wood grain panel?? Didn't Studebaker offer that wheel as an option?
    The wheels were never a Studebaker Avanti option, but used on Avanti II's. The door panels are incorrect as are some interior details.
    JDP Maryland

MNAvanti, how many years has it been since it last ran?

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    It's not "RED" Brent so you can't be interested.
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by 63r2 View Post
    It's not "RED" Brent so you can't be interested.
    pb
    Good point, Peter!
    The metallic red Avanti that JDP linked to on Ebay brought a high bid of $13,001 but didnt meet reserve. Looked like a great car needing nothing.

Good point, Peter!
    The metallic red Avanti that JDP linked to on Ebay brought a high bid of $13,001 but didnt meet reserve. Looked like a great car needing nothing.
    I can't explain that, mine was a R2, but needed paint and sold for 6K over that figure.
    JDP Maryland

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I can't explain that, mine was a R2, but needed paint and sold for 6K over that figure.
    I guess the price differential between R1's and R2's is widening.
    If I had the choice it would certainly be an R2 everytime.
    pb

Champion Member
    At least 20 years. It was sometime in the 80's when my dad discovered the rear brakes weren't getting fluid. Not sure if he ever started it again after that or not.

Wink

Sounds like a Avanti rescue mission.Get some of the local members together and give the ol beast a look over and repair.

Perhaps list it on Ebay and see what it brings? Use JDP's Avanti auction car Ebay ad as a good example for making an ad of your own. Otherwise, list an asking price here and see what comes of it. Or if you want to repair it and keep it, we would gladly accept you into the club!

Champion Member
    Thanks for all your help. You've given me some ideas about what to do with the car.

MNAvanti
    I hope you keep your Avanti,my 63 R2 needed lots of work also,but i a im very happy with it now.
    Lenny
    Atlanta, GA

President Member studebaker-R2-4-me's Avatar
    Thanks for all your help. You've given me some ideas about what to do with the car.
    I hope you keep it too. If my Dad had an Avanti (how cool is that) and left it to me, I would get to know how to repair it to make it drivable, then drive the heck out of it. I would not sell that car until you drove it just to think about your Dad behind the wheel and how cool he really was.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter mile

Oakville, Ontario .
    Hamilton Chapter

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    If the frame and hog troughs are solid, I'm guessing a 8-10K car based on a 2K or so budget to make it a nice driver. BTW, the AC looks like it was added since the console panel is a Avanti II item, not Studebaker. If you got the car in this condition, you'd have a good idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors//200568095321
    Looks like a stude a/c kit added, note the a/c tag under the washer bag bracket-it's a Studebaker Corp tag forAir conditioner using R12 (picture 005) refrigerant.

DON'T SELL IT; you will always regret it if you do!

I agree, keep it...it's in good shape and seems to be original.
    I wish I had a car of my dads.
    With the low-ish price of Avantis, it very well my be worth more to you than anyone else for sentimental reasons.

But if you can't (space, money) keep it or simply don't want it....see that it gets to a good home. A lot of guys would love an original car like that.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Champion Member
    I'd be willing to sell it if I can get a decent price for it. Assuming that $8k-$10k range, I'd be looking for something around there. Otherwise, I guess it'll stay right where it is. It probably is worth more to me than anyone else for sentimental reasons, but I will consider offers.