Anyone ever try intall of a hydraulic clutch kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever try intall of a hydraulic clutch kit

Here's a photo of a hydraulic clutch kit which uses a small reservoir hydraulic cylinder to actuate the linkage rod from clutch pedal to transmission. Has anyone installed one of these or similar on a Studebaker or Avanti (in my case). If so how difficult would it be?

Thanks
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

It might be a bit of a tight squeeze to fit around the brake booster. Also the brakes have the steel reinforcement of the pedal assy to prevent the fiberglass from cracking.
    Perhaps it could be mounted inside the car with some sort of bracketry bolted off of the pedal reinforcement?
    Or, a smaller brake booster could be adapted, like one of the newer 7" dual diphragm units?
    I have seen it done, but, on a race car without power brakes.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

We'll assume you've evaluated the linkage under the car and all is well and operating w/o issues. If not, you may get a surprise ! If it were me, I'd pull the pressure plate and have the springs lightened up some for an easier foot. GL

Comment

You've shown an actual hydraulic clutch. It would be very hard to adapt this tothe stude bellhousing and TO bearing. An alternative is to use a master cylinder like that shown in the photo, with a slave unit, mount the slave to a bracket on the transmission, and connect to the standard throwout bearing bellcrank with a short linkage. Pull type or push type slaves are available. I've done this for 53 coupe. The photo components you show are not made to run a mechanical linkage, I do not think. Thanks, m weiss

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
          Here's a photo of a hydraulic clutch kit which uses a small reservoir hydraulic cylinder to actuate the linkage rod from clutch pedal to transmission. Has anyone installed one of these or similar on a Studebaker or Avanti (in my case). If so how difficult would it be?

Thanks
          John, check your pm......

Comment

My question is why would you want to install a hydraulic slave cylinder system in any vehicle that was designed to use a simple mechanical setup? I have had several vehicles that used slave cylinders to operate the clutch. They usually are there because a strictly mechanical linkage was not practical. They are inherently more complex than a mechanical linkage and therefore are more likely to fail.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The photo isn't of one that I was thinking of using, but simply a photo to generate discussion (I should have specified that). I've been contacted offline by a Forum member and he has installed a simple setup and is going to send me details. I'm still interested in hearing others with their suggestions.

My Avanti has been set up with Studebaker bell housing with GM bolt pattern, GM clutch with approx 2700 ~ 2800 lb spring and a Tremec TKO 5 speed. I am not wanting to change to a hydraulic throw out bearing but just a simple hydraulic power assist to make using the clutch pedal easier on the knees.

Thanks,
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                ... I am not wanting to change to a hydraulic throw out bearing but just a simple hydraulic power assist to make using the clutch pedal easier on the knees.

Thanks,
                That answers my question. I was just wanting a good reason for the modification. You have provided it. Good luck and let us know how it works.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hydraulically Operated Clutch

I think I would DRIVE the car first, before making these kind of decisions, unless you already know your left knee is shot.

If this is the Avanti I think it is, it is unfortunate that my friend Mike Myer has it apart at this time, so you can't, but it still would be the preferred method. If you are thinking of doing it later after you recieve the Car, you still have that option.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know of an '82 or '83 Avanti that had the Hydramatic transmission replaced with a 6-speed manual with hydraulic kit, but the owner has since sold the car so I don't know much about it. It can be done, but I don't know how difficult or involved the process was.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

but just a simple hydraulic power assist to make using the clutch pedal easier on the knees.
                      FWIW, what you're describing above isn't going to happen. The force required to depress the clutch pedal is exactly the same whether transferred through fluid or steel linkage.

Granted, the steel linkage on the Avanti and late Larks is among the worst ever designed and has a lot of kinks and flexing. Most any hydraulic setup would be an improvement. However, from an engineering and technical writing accuracy standpoint, there is no "hydraulic power assist" involved in a hydraulic clutch actuating system. It simply transfers the same force to the clutch cover through a different medium.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        FWIW, what you're describing above isn't going to happen. The force required to depress the clutch pedal is exactly the same whether transferred through fluid or steel linkage.
                        jack vines
                        I can tell you from personal experience that Jack is correct. I bought a '64 Comet that someone converted from an automatic to a 4-speed. Instead of finding all the correct z-bar parts, they used a hydraulic Wilwood pedal and slave to operate the clutch fork. I drove the car for a while that way and you still needed a strong leg to operate it. I hunted around and found all the correct pedals and z-bar setup to switch it out. It actually operated easier with the correct parts because the pedal length and ratio was a little better than the Wilwood.
                        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Depending on how you design it you could make it easier but you could also make worse.
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            I think I would DRIVE the car first, before making these kind of decisions, unless you already know your left knee is shot.

If this is the Avanti I think it is, it is unfortunate that my friend Mike Myer has it apart at this time, so you can't, but it still would be the preferred method. If you are thinking of doing it later after you recieve the Car, you still have that option.
                            Left knee has had orthoscopic surgery once about 5 years but doing good. Yes my Avanti is at Myer Studebaker but its not really unfortunate because I've been blessed with the funds to do a complete frame-off resto-mod on it and anticipate it being finished for Nationals this year. Body finished and painted, engine, chassis, suspension, brakes all finished and we are ready to put body back on the chassis. The dash and gauges are about finished and Mike will start on wiring, interior, etc. soon.

I've been contacted by someone on Forum running a Wilwood 3/4" slave cylinder and Howe throw-out bearing and says it helps, but I may wait until Mike has it finished, drive it and see how it feels before making that change.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines

I don't understand why the force would have to remain the same...why did auto braking systems change from mechanical to hydraulic systems?? Besides, hydraulic clutches are so smooth...my vote is for hydraulic. Junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X