No announcement yet.

Anyone ever try intall of a hydraulic clutch kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've used hydraulic clutches for years on the oval track cars I race. Really super-simple to set up and use, and work great. Biggest trick is rigging the pedal/cylinder, and that's not too hard. I think they do require less force, but that would depend on what bearing/cylinder combination was used.

First question: What do the Myers think of the idea?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The forces required are the same as brakes....and based on cylinder sizes.
      A smaller master cylinder produces higher pressures,but with a longer stroke.
      High School Physics
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        First question: What do the Myers think of the idea?
        Bob, I intend to find out, I'll probably call Mike next Friday and discuss with him. Even though he is restoring my car, I resist calling him every week. He is a busy man and I have learned to appreciate that his time is valuable. I usually hold the phone calls to a couple a month. I will let everyone know, though what he suggests and also what my ultimate decision is. Another member has done this install on a 62 Daytona (similar frame) and is sending me part #'s and pictures.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I have a 2004 GTO with a 6 speed and a hydraulic clutch, and my '63 Avanti with a TKO
          and mechanical setup. After replacing the bushings in the pedal assembly and adding a
          set of bronze bushings to the linkage, the Avanti isnt THAT much harder to operate then
          the GTO. I also notice there is more feel with the mechanical linkage.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
            I have a 2004 GTO with a 6 speed and a hydraulic clutch, and my '63 Avanti with a TKO
            and mechanical setup. After replacing the bushings in the pedal assembly and adding a
            set of bronze bushings to the linkage, the Avanti isnt THAT much harder to operate then
            the GTO. I also notice there is more feel with the mechanical linkage.

Tom
            Tom where the bronze bushings used originally from factory or is that an improvement you made? If an improvement let me know the details of type and where you found the bronze bushings. I'm leaning towards trying out before going the hydraulic route.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

2938T36 SAE 863 FLANGED-SLEEVE BEARING, FOR 3/8" SHAFT DIA,1/2"OD X 1/2"L X 5/8"FLANGE OD

I thought I took some pictures of the finished part, but it seems I didnt.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

OKC- PM me and I can send you pictures of two setups, one push, the other pull. I agree with bob andrews- a pretty straightforward solution. It does take a little engineering. Jack Vines is correct that the forces are the same, it's not a power assist, the MC/slave ratio is what determines the pressure at your foot, and the length of the throw. Bob Andrews, Jon Meyer gave me the idea and initial help a couple of years ago, and He suggested it to me for my 259 with a tremec tko 500, it Works well. The pull slave on a T56 is yet to be street-driven, but works well so far for short runs, still working on that car- thanks, m weiss

Comment

Do keep us posted, especially if you do it. It's got me thinking about trying it on a street car myself...
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                  X