Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT,a 65 Studebaker with a CHEVY engine???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT,a 65 Studebaker with a CHEVY engine???

Anyone on the forum ever order a new 65 Studebaker only to find out that they no longer have a Studebaker engine under the hood?I was remembering a past SDC member who bought many new cars+trucks of the 50s,60s.and lastly order a new 65 Cruiser,and upon driveing in to take delivery found it had a "CHEVY ENGINE HE YELLED!" and did'nt want the car any more,but the Dealer would'nt take it back and he ended up takeing a car he hated!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Hi Joe, Same thing happened with G.M. in the mid to late '70s. Some Buicks and Pontiacs were sold with Chevy engines. They were listed as "350 GM engine" on the build sheets. Brand loyal customers were not pleased.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Hi Dwight,ya I think I remeber hereing talk of that when I was a kid?maybe my Father talked of it?so are you ready for March?I know I am!!!
      Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
      Hi Joe, Same thing happened with G.M. in the mid to late '70s. Some Buicks and Pontiacs were sold with Chevy engines. They were listed as "350 GM engine" on the build sheets. Brand loyal customers were not pleased.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I just ordered my '65 Cruiser, so thanks for the info. I'm cancelling.

Comment

Amazing!! mine has an R3 in it!

Comment

My 1982 Chevrolet S10 had an Izuzu (Japanese) 4 cylinder engine, in 1985 I was at a GMC Truck dealership and they were removing the grill from a medium duty Izuzu truck and replacing it with a GMC grill. My 1994 Mazda pick up truck has a Ford engine (in fact the truck was made by Ford). Certain Ford mini vans were made by Nissan. Its just business. Didn't Packard provide V8 engines for Hudson and Nash in 1956?
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

When I was in high school (1975) my home room teacher drove a '65 Studebaker. I talked about the car with him one day, and he was still a little sore about it having a GM engine (I don't think he specified 6 or 8). He said if he knew it at the time of purchase, he wouldn't have bought it!
              I think I would have bought one, they were still good cars!

Comment

After Studebaker closed in Indiana in 1963 new engines were made in St. Catherines Ontario at a GM plant.

Comment

65 and 66 Hamilton built Studes used Chevrolet-design engines built by McKinnon Industries Division of General Motors, St. Catherines, Ontario
                  Live your dreams!

Comment

In the mid 80's I worked in the Port of Long Beach for Pasha Services. We handled vehicles for a variety of manufacturers among them was GM Truck & Bus Division. With those vehicles they came over from Japan built by Isuzu as class 4 & 8 trucks. We would store them (Pier E) until we received a package from GM that contained the emblems & vin plates which we then installed. GM determined which ones became Chevrolets or GMC's. After that they were put in load line where they were picked up by transport companies & delivered to the dealers.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

That's just the way the '65s & '66s came. Studebaker didn't have a choice, since their foundries in South Bend were shut down at the end of '64. My understanding was that Ford wouldn't supply the drivetrains to Studebaker, but GM Canada would and did. Really, those engines weren't a bad choice. I wouldn't mind owning one of those cars right now.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Funny seems no one likes those engines in those cars but about 95% of the modified Studebakers use SBC engines.....go figure???
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

LOL. My 93 year old uncle bought stock in Ford and Coca Cola since the thirties. Always drove a Ford and always drank Coke. He liked our 65 Poncho so bought a 66 and it came with a Chevy engine and was a lemon. Right back to Fords!
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                            Didn't Packard provide V8 engines for Hudson and Nash in 1956?
                            Yes, but only for 1955 (as a 320) and the first part of 1956, as a 352.

The all-new AMC V-8, 250 cubic inches when introduced, was ready in mid 1956 and was far cheaper for AMC to produce in-house than buying Packard V-8s "outside," so the Packard V-8 was phased out of AMC production and usage at that time. Sales of full-size Nashes and Hudsons were so poor in 1956 that there were probably many Packard V-8 powered 1956 cars in dealer inventories clear through the end of the model year, however, if someone didn't want the smaller new AMC engine.

OTOH, the AMC V-8 was available with a manual transmission or manual with overdrive, options not available with the Packard engine in Hudsons and Nashes. So those odd ducks who wanted a stick or stick/overdrive, V-8 powered 1956 Nash or Hudson now had that option. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What's the big deal? you can still get a Dodge Truck with a Cummins Engine, and a Ford with an International diesel.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X