Thread: WHAT,a 65 Studebaker with a CHEVY engine???

President Member

WHAT,a 65 Studebaker with a CHEVY engine???

Anyone on the forum ever order a new 65 Studebaker only to find out that they no longer have a Studebaker engine under the hood?I was remembering a past SDC member who bought many new cars+trucks of the 50s,60s.and lastly order a new 65 Cruiser,and upon driveing in to take delivery found it had a "CHEVY ENGINE HE YELLED!" and did'nt want the car any more,but the Dealer would'nt take it back and he ended up takeing a car he hated!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Speedster Member
    Hi Joe, Same thing happened with G.M. in the mid to late '70s. Some Buicks and Pontiacs were sold with Chevy engines. They were listed as "350 GM engine" on the build sheets. Brand loyal customers were not pleased.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

President Member
    Hi Dwight,ya I think I remeber hereing talk of that when I was a kid?maybe my Father talked of it?so are you ready for March?I know I am!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954khardtop View Post
    Hi Joe, Same thing happened with G.M. in the mid to late '70s. Some Buicks and Pontiacs were sold with Chevy engines. They were listed as "350 GM engine" on the build sheets. Brand loyal customers were not pleased.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member
    I just ordered my '65 Cruiser, so thanks for the info. I'm cancelling.
    \'50 Champion, 1 family owner

President Member
    Amazing!! mine has an R3 in it!

My 1982 Chevrolet S10 had an Izuzu (Japanese) 4 cylinder engine, in 1985 I was at a GMC Truck dealership and they were removing the grill from a medium duty Izuzu truck and replacing it with a GMC grill. My 1994 Mazda pick up truck has a Ford engine (in fact the truck was made by Ford). Certain Ford mini vans were made by Nissan. Its just business. Didn't Packard provide V8 engines for Hudson and Nash in 1956?

55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

President Member
    When I was in high school (1975) my home room teacher drove a '65 Studebaker. I talked about the car with him one day, and he was still a little sore about it having a GM engine (I don't think he specified 6 or 8). He said if he knew it at the time of purchase, he wouldn't have bought it!
    I think I would have bought one, they were still good cars!

After Studebaker closed in Indiana in 1963 new engines were made in St. Catherines Ontario at a GM plant.

Speedster Member
    65 and 66 Hamilton built Studes used Chevrolet-design engines built by McKinnon Industries Division of General Motors, St. Catherines, Ontario
    Live your dreams!

President Member
    In the mid 80's I worked in the Port of Long Beach for Pasha Services. We handled vehicles for a variety of manufacturers among them was GM Truck & Bus Division. With those vehicles they came over from Japan built by Isuzu as class 4 & 8 trucks. We would store them (Pier E) until we received a package from GM that contained the emblems & vin plates which we then installed. GM determined which ones became Chevrolets or GMC's. After that they were put in load line where they were picked up by transport companies & delivered to the dealers.
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

President Member
    That's just the way the '65s & '66s came. Studebaker didn't have a choice, since their foundries in South Bend were shut down at the end of '64. My understanding was that Ford wouldn't supply the drivetrains to Studebaker, but GM Canada would and did. Really, those engines weren't a bad choice. I wouldn't mind owning one of those cars right now.
    Rog
    \'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Long Island Studebaker Club

Funny seems no one likes those engines in those cars but about 95% of the modified Studebakers use SBC engines.....go figure???
    [IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1952 2R6

LOL. My 93 year old uncle bought stock in Ford and Coca Cola since the thirties. Always drove a Ford and always drank Coke. He liked our 65 Poncho so bought a 66 and it came with a Chevy engine and was a lemon. Right back to Fords!

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2moredoors View Post
    Didn't Packard provide V8 engines for Hudson and Nash in 1956?
    Yes, but only for 1955 (as a 320) and the first part of 1956, as a 352.

The all-new AMC V-8, 250 cubic inches when introduced, was ready in mid 1956 and was far cheaper for AMC to produce in-house than buying Packard V-8s "outside," so the Packard V-8 was phased out of AMC production and usage at that time. Sales of full-size Nashes and Hudsons were so poor in 1956 that there were probably many Packard V-8 powered 1956 cars in dealer inventories clear through the end of the model year, however, if someone didn't want the smaller new AMC engine.

OTOH, the AMC V-8 was available with a manual transmission or manual with overdrive, options not available with the Packard engine in Hudsons and Nashes. So those odd ducks who wanted a stick or stick/overdrive, V-8 powered 1956 Nash or Hudson now had that option. BP

What's the big deal? you can still get a Dodge Truck with a Cummins Engine, and a Ford with an International diesel.
    Neil Thornton

Interesting thread. I do remember quite well the outrage, almost feelings of betrayal, that some people felt when they discovered their Oldsmobiles (and Cadillacs) had generic motors <g> from Chevrolet. A common spoken complaint of my elders was: "why am I paying the price for an Olds when its only a Chev?" Now, if GM had been smart enough to badge certain upscale models of Chevy and Pontiac as 'Olds Rocket powered' or 'Cadillac powered' as Studebaker did with 'Avanti powered', there wouldn't have been any kerfuffle. Marketting mistake created by overpaid and out of touch execs listening to beancounters, and going for the shortest term gain.

I always understood--or I thought--that the S10 (and GMC versions) were actually from the Isuzu design. Same with various Ford models during the time of the close co-operation and major stake that Ford had in Mazda at the time: The Ranger was (to me) obviously a Mazda pickup design even if the vehicle was built by Ford and sold as a Mazda, the Mercury Tracer in N.A/Ford ?Telstar? Au/NZ and elsewhere? / Ford ??? were actually Mazda 323 designs. Where it became interesting was during the Ford Probe/Mazda MX 6 /Mystere which were reverse imports, being built uniquely in North America at the same plant same line, and exported (as Mazdas) to Japan. Again it was based on A Mazda platform design I think--and both the Probe and the MX6 were at bottom the same car BUT worlds apart in execution and details, and quite different in 'feel' or so I always thought from behind the wheel.

The North American manufacturers had a hard time envisioning a smaller car over here, no matter how successful their partners or subsiduaries were elsewhere, and unfortunately if they had a good design, they tended to dumb it down terribly for sale here. Out of all the bankruptcy (and debt-Ford isn't out of the woods yet) chaos, at least one good thing has happened: Ford deciding to bring over 'real deal' Focus/Fiesta etc models, even if they build them here, its the real thing. GM had good cars coming in from Holden Australia--too bad they called them Pontiacs!

And didn't Chrysler use V-Dub engines in their sub-compacts? And AMC use some non AMC 4-cyl engines in Pacers and Gremlins?

John

Quote Originally Posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    hell thats nothing!!!! after reading this post I drove down to my studebaker dealer to have a man-to-man with the sales jerk and wouldn't youknowit those bums went out of business..

(hehehehehehe)

Quote Originally Posted by 2R5 View Post
    Funny seems no one likes those engines in those cars but about 95% of the modified Studebakers use SBC engines.....go figure???
    word!! i can dig this statement in a big way... i nearly trip over my own feet with laughter when a studebaker hot rodder snubs 65-66 C.B.S (Canadian Built Studebakers)

BY THE WAY:: It was understanding that these 283 and 194's used in the 65-66 line up were in someways better then their Chevy brothers... they seemed to have some parts built to a more heavy duty spec.. which adds up better since these engines were made for the industrial use (i.e. generators, refregeration, etc etc)...thats the way i remember being taught..perhaps I'm wrong...
    Last edited by beatnik64; 12-22-2010 at 07:08 PM.

President Member
    AMC used the Buick V-6, then GM took the engine back.

Quote Originally Posted by curt View Post
    AMC used the Buick V-6, then GM took the engine back.
    Was that the crazy-ass odd fire v-6.... my buddy put one in a t-bucket hot rod (metal body for you die-hards in the peanut gallery) and it's funny as hell.. runs pretty good too. It's a lot of fun to go to gas stations and see dudes fight ove rwhat size V8 it is...hahahaha and all the while it's mild-mannered V6

Not an International in a Ford any more.. I think they ended that program..

Quote Originally Posted by rockinhawk View Post
    What's the big deal? you can still get a Dodge Truck with a Cummins Engine, and a Ford with an International diesel.
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Speedster Member
    Yeah, but who did anything about it?

Actually, our family attended an Iroquis Chapter meet at the Art Park in Lewiston, N.Y. in the early '80's, and talked to a guy who was also of the opinion that aStudebaker was no place for a */^%@ Chevrolet engine! We walked over to his car - a beautiful Turquoise '66 Daytona with white vinyl roof - and he lifted the hood. Sure'nuff!! No more Chevy. In it's place, looking perfectly at home, was very nice Studebaker V8 installation!!

I wonder where that car is now....
    Roger "153624" Hill

47 M-5 - "Jeannie"
    Izzer Buggy - "Jessie"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

President Member
    I never really thought about it before, but I bet a good percentage of loyal Studebaker folks bought a '65 or '66 without even knowing about the GM engines. As we've discussed before, at least in my hometown, a large percentage of new Studebaker buyers those last few years were older folks.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan V8

Related to the original post, the one I like the best is the engine series used by Dodge, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Saturn, and Plymouth. They all used a single or similar design four cylinder block. The concept was a blank four cylinder block was milled, and then each of the car companies would purchase the block, and mill the engine to the company's specifications. It saves on each car company having to come up with an original block design, especially if the companies have shares in another company. The two series that stood out where the 4G61-4G69, and the ECC Chrysler Neon Engine. The 4G engines were from the Mitsubishi Sirius engine line, and the ECC engine, which was designed for the Neon, resembled the Chrysler K and Rover K engines. It was also shared with the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Eagle Talon. If you have a Neon with an ECC engine, you're sharing an engine design with the Eclipse and the Eagle Talon. If you have, say, a 4G63T engine in a Plymouth Laser, which was a turbocharged variant of the engine, then you're sharing an engine with:

(Okay, I borrowed a little from Wikipedia, but I remember hearing about this from way way back in the Yahoo chatrooms, lol)

One of the bigger reasons for the sharing of engines between these companies was the history of DSM or Diamond Star Motors, which was a joint venture that began in the 70's between Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Mitsubishi, and Eagle.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

My '66 Commander 4-dr has the little 194 CID Chevy motor but it's still a relatively powerful little engine. I hate to admit it but years ago I had a '53 Coupe with a flat head 6 cyl and it literally wouldn't pull a greasy string. Conversely, I had a 59 Lark 2dr HT with V-8 4V and dual exhausts that would fly...
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'64 GT Hawk
    \'66 Commander

When I was a little kid, early 70's, I remember my Grandpa saying the reason Studebaker went out of business was because they put those @#$%^%$@ Chevrolet engines in them. His last Stude was a 63 Lark Daytona wagonaire..
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Commander Member
    I just sold 65 cruiser and it was a suprise how many callers did not know it had a chevy motor or the car was made in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by edpjr View Post
    ...it literally wouldn't pull a greasy string...
    Didja ever try wiping the grease off?

Years ago, they used to grease pigs and try to catch 'em. Very hard to catch but...wipe off the grease..much easier. So next time you try to pull a greasy string with your Studebaker, see if wiping off the grease doesnt make it work better.

Same thing with lightning...

John

Funny thing. I don't consider 65-66 Studes because of the Chevy engine. What makes it funny is I'm a die-hard Chevy lover; and know Chevy engines inside and out; and know they're excellent engines, cheaper to buy, fix, and hop up than Studes; and have no problem whatsoever with those that put them in Studes, knowing it's the most sensible choice. It's just that my interest in Studes includes not just the cars, but Stude running gear and getting to know them. For me, if I want a Chevy I'll get a another Camaro or Chevelle or Vette. BTDT.
    Proud NON-CASO I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln GOD BLESS AMERICAEphesians 6:10-17Romans 15:13Deuteronomy 31:6Proverbs 28:1 Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B PEI View Post
    Now, if GM had been smart enough to badge certain upscale models of Chevy and Pontiac as 'Olds Rocket powered' or 'Cadillac powered' as Studebaker did with 'Avanti powered', there wouldn't have been any kerfuffle. Marketting mistake created by overpaid and out of touch execs listening to beancounters, and going for the shortest term gain.
    Had that been ten years earlier, like in 1966 when an Olds "Golden Rocket" really did go like a r........, it may have worked. Remember in 1978 when that customer took GM to court, any of those emission-choked engines, regardless of its 'fast' name was a slouch.

Craig

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
    And didn't Chrysler use V-Dub engines in their sub-compacts? And AMC use some non AMC 4-cyl engines in Pacers and Gremlins?

John
    Hey, I can post some "facts" (if something off the 'net is really a fact...) "For 1977,At mid-year, a 2.0 liter, 4-cylinder engine designed by Porsche/Audi was made available. This engine featured an overhead camshaft and an aluminum cross-flow head." from here http://www.allpar.com/amc/gremlin.html

And my parents had both a Dodge Omni (78 or 79) with a VW engine (Dad didn't want to pay extra for the 2.2 Chrysler engine) and a Chevy Cavalier (84) with a VW engine. BOth of them were dog-slow, and both ended up blowing the head gaskets, (and the Chevy one actually threw a rod). Unfortunately the county we lived in (Waukesha Co. Wisconsin) had emission laws that basically said you had to replace one engine with the exact same one, no engine swaps would be emissions legal where we lived.

Without grease, my 53 would've stalled out pulling on a string. It was a very nice looking car (yellow), but that pitiful flathead 6 coupled with an auto trans was dangerous to get out in traffic. It had NO power. Even after I had it rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
    Didja ever try wiping the grease off?

Years ago, they used to grease pigs and try to catch 'em. Very hard to catch but...wipe off the grease..much easier. So next time you try to pull a greasy string with your Studebaker, see if wiping off the grease doesnt make it work better.

Same thing with lightning...

John
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'64 GT Hawk
    \'66 Commander

Love Chevy performance cars. I also own a 2007 Vette that I bought brand new (cause there's no new Studebakers). But I still consider my '66 a real Studebaker. It's kinda like when GM did away with all the great diverse engines they used to put in their Olds, Caddies, Buicks, and Pontiac models and replaced 'em with 305 CID Chevy engines. No idea exactly what brought on my fascination with Studes starting way back in 1972. No one in my family ever owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Funny thing. I don't consider 65-66 Studes because of the Chevy engine. What makes it funny is I'm a die-hard Chevy lover; and know Chevy engines inside and out; and know they're excellent engines, cheaper to buy, fix, and hop up than Studes; and have no problem whatsoever with those that put them in Studes, knowing it's the most sensible choice. It's just that my interest in Studes includes not just the cars, but Stude running gear and getting to know them. For me, if I want a Chevy I'll get a another Camaro or Chevelle or Vette. BTDT.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'64 GT Hawk
    \'66 Commander

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    I just ordered one of those too. Ditto.

IF I could've ordered one, it'd be a 2 dr with 283 and stick shift. I could then add a 4V carb, a 3/4 cam, dual exhausts and have a pretty decent little runner...

Quote Originally Posted by MyStude_51 View Post
    I just ordered one of those too. Ditto.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'64 GT Hawk
    \'66 Commander

President Member
    I still prefer a '64 Stude to a '65 or '66 because of the Stude engines, but I could very much enjoy a Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser or Daytona!

I don't believe a Chevy 305 or even 350 was ever placed in a Cadillac during that late '70's time period...but I do remember what started it all. Olds models were built with Chevy 350's when customers thought they were getting a "Rocket V8". If there was an "L" in I think, the fifth (not sure) digit of the serial number, the car had a Chevy V8. GM said the customer paid for a 170 hp 350-4 barrel V8 and that's what they got! My friend's grandfather was very miffed that his '78 Delta 88 had a Chevy engine. I remember him saying, "I thought I paid for a Rocket V8".

On a side note, but in reply to a post or two from above, I lived, breathed, ate, slept, and died Chevys in my youth, and I'm not aware of any VW-powered Cavaliers; also, the S-10 and S-15 were a GM design which Isuzu hung their grille and nameplates on, not vice-versa.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    ...but I do remember what started it all. Olds models were built with Chevy 350's when customers thought they were getting a "Rocket V8". If there was an "L" in I think, the fifth (not sure) digit of the serial number, the car had a Chevy V8. GM said the customer paid for a 170 hp 350-4 barrel V8 and that's what they got! My friend's grandfather was very miffed that his '78 Delta 88 had a Chevy engine. I remember him saying, "I thought I paid for a Rocket V8".

On a side note, but in reply to a post or two from above, I lived, breathed, ate, slept, and died Chevys in my youth, and I'm not aware of any VW-powered Cavaliers; also, the S-10 and S-15 were a GM design which Isuzu hung their grille and nameplates on, not vice-versa.
    Bill: You are certainly correct about "what started it all;" the 1978 Olds not-so-Rocket 350 V-8s.

GM had spent 70-odd years convincing generations of customers they could step up the ladder all across the board if they'd "start" with a Chevy and with hard work and perserverance, would bequeath a Cadillac to their heirs upon their demise...or something like that. So the "where's the beef?" that came about when little 350 Chevy engines were found lurking where huge Rocket 350s were supposed to be, caused many long-time customers to feel betrayed.

It might be said that a more classic case of good marketing for generations having gone bad cannot be found!

The Isuzu / S-10 / S-15 discussion I think refers to the fact that some of the earliest S-10s and S-15s used Isuzu 4-cylinder engines. And they were lousy until GM started fitting their own 2.5L "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder engines as the base engine in those trucks circa 1985. BP

President Member
    The Isuzu / S-10 / S-15 discussion I think refers to the fact that some of the earliest S-10s and S-15s used Isuzu 4-cylinder engines. And they were lousy until GM started fitting their own 2.5L "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder engines as the base engine in those trucks circa 1985. BP[/QUOTE]

That is true, but there was a quote pretty far up about, as I took it, the entire vehicle being an Isuzu design (and also the Ranger being a Mazda design). Isuzu sold the Chevrolet S-10 as the "Hombre" in the States for a few years. I'm not as 'up' on Ford product as GM of that time, but I can remember distinctly-Mazda pickup designs...I thought (but could be wrong) that the Ranger was a Ford design which Mazda hung their name on, not the opposite.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH

Banned
    ...and back to a little Studebaker content ...

The GM HUMMER H2 was not built by GM at all!
    They were built by AM General in the greater South Bend area with the help of a few former Studebaker employees.