Sts. of SF 12/15/10 - Checker Marathon WAGON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sts. of SF 12/15/10 - Checker Marathon WAGON

When's the last time you saw one of these?

Details - Restomod w/ warmed over V8, Halibrand wheels, and show-quality paint.
    Seen on 24th St., bet. Noe and Sanchez on 12/12/10

I only posted the rear 3/4 view, 'cause I figure you all know the rest by heart.
    Attached Files
    Andy
    62 GT

WOW!!! That's a rare bird in any nest!

Any Checker know-it-alls out there? I know they offered, essentially, 2 models: the Marathon and the Superba. What's the difference? Trim level? Number of doors? I've never seen a Superba, but I've seen references to them in company lit.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I wasn't sure about the year (CarTalk puzzler), but the black plates put it between 1963-70.
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Being raised near O'Hare and Midway airports in Chicago, I always used to get a kick out of seeing these...
        A Checker Aerobus....

(More Aerobus pic's at: http://tinyurl.com/Checker-Aerobus-Pics )

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I remember seeing a Superba, and it was a single headlight car--before 58 or 59?. The Marathon was a replacement model for the Superba, I think. A few years ago, I >didn't< buy a solid black Marathon wagon which only needed a brake job, and some future work on the 350 V8, for only $1800. I'm still kicking myself.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            Any Checker know-it-alls out there?

I think they'd be called 'Checkerheads'.

Those thing were as rust-prone as a Studebaker. Anytime I've seen one around here they were shot. A few years back I was offered a running Checker wagon for $1200. It was so rusty I didn't even bother to find out the year.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Being raised near O'Hare and Midway airports in Chicago, I always used to get a kick out of seeing these...
              A Checker Aerobus....
              In 1967, Brewster/Gray Line had a fleet of those in the Edmonton area. They were metallic silver with a white roof, and had the dark blue diamond on the doors.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                In 1967, Brewster/Gray Line had a fleet of those in the Edmonton area. They were metallic silver with a white roof, and had the dark blue diamond on the doors.

Craig
                Yup, yet another Greyhound subsidary!
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  Yup, yet another Greyhound subsidary!
                  You are correct! Hence the livery colors.

Craig

Comment

I see a little similarity in the styling cues between these two vehicles ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Checker wagon.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1666627 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Flex.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1666628
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

At my first job at a service station somebody brought in a Checker Medicar. It had a raised roof and was in pretty good shape except the vinyl or cloth top covering was tattered. It was painted black. Very cool car, sometimes I wonder what ever happened to it.

Comment

A former student of mine has an uncle that had a local shop build this cool Checker wagon for him...perhaps Craig has some better shots of it...very nice car and workmanship. Junior

Last edited by junior; 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Here is some reporting from Kalamazoo, home of the Checker.
                          Fire officials are suspecting arson in a Saturday blaze that destroyed part of the former Checker Motors complex, once one of Kalamazoo's signature businesses.

Not that the company was ever coming back, but the fire really ended whatever link was left.
                          Us Stude fans know about what it feels like when the buildings come down. The guy who pulled up in his Checker to watch it burn...pretty sad day here.

Comment

A few years ago a local Checker collector called me about brake parts for his Checker (don't know what year). Turned out, Checker used the same self-adjusting brake mechanisms that the '53 and earlier Studebakers used and he needed some of the pieces.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                            X