Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need info, oil filler tube,'49 Champ 6-Added pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info, oil filler tube,'49 Champ 6-Added pics!

Hello all,

When I picked up my '49 2R5 truck last month, I discovered that it had no dipstick on the block or one attached to the filler cap. So, I poured a bit of oil in the crank case (just in case) and drove it home. Once home, I called up SASCO and ordered a new "Cap and Level Gage" - no prob, right?

Well, it seems I have a replacement 169 c.i. engine in my truck with a non-standard oil filler tube.
    Here's the ID pad:

and here's the filler tube:

Does anyone have pictures and/or measurements for the correct oil filler tube for my truck? Better yet, do any of the parts houses offer the correct tube for sale?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Mike "Magnum" Harm

Do I see a metal plate riveted to the side of the block behind that alternator? Can you read a number on it? Is there no number on the ID pad?

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Do I see a metal plate riveted to the side of the block behind that alternator? Can you read a number on it? Is there no number on the ID pad?

Dwain G.
      Yes, Dwain, there is a metal plate riveted to the block. There is no number on the plate, and it completely covers the pad. I;'ve heard that a metal plate there means its a replacement engine....

Mike "Magnum" Harm
      Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

I'm not sure about this, but I think the service engines built in the early '50s came with a paper tag attached that identified the engine and gave some installation information. I think they began using the riveted metal tag in about '55. But then, a lot of rebuilders used similar tags too. What is the block casting number on the side of the block by the distributor?

Dwain G.

Comment

I'm not sure about this, but I think the service engines built in the early '50s came with a paper tag attached that identified the engine and gave some installation information. I think they began using the riveted metal tag in about '55. But then, a lot of rebuilders used similar tags too. What is the block casting number on the side of the block by the distributor?
          Here are two pix of the side of the engine:

This one shows 1548965-5

This one shows 5 20 (or 2D) N. The pad above it, hidden by the throttle brackets, shows a zero or the letter O.

Does this help? What do I have?

Thanks,

Mike "Magnum" Harm
          Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Magnum
            This one shows 1548965-5
            Could it be your replacement six motor is a 185 cu. in. Champion motor built in 1958? That year the starting number was 1,228,401.
            I got that from this SDC page of engine numbers (hint: make your browser window really wide to keep the lines from breaking prematurely - easier to read that way):

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Good work! That casting number was only used for 1959-60 engines. The other numbers are a date code. 5=May, 20=day of month, N=1959. This engine is supposed to have a dipstick tube located just aft of the distributor. Look for a plug where the tube should be. I'm still not certain this is a factory replacement engine, nor how we could ever tell. Is the starter on the right side or the left? This engine should use dipstick number 1544477, and tube number 1544476. Those numbers fit '59-'64 6 cyl. cars and trucks.

Dwain G.

Comment

Good work! That casting number was only used for 1959-60 engines. The other numbers are a date code. 5=May, 20=day of month, N=1959.
                Ahaa!!! Thank you, Dwain, for your help. So my truck's not quite at original as I thought. [V] I'm surprised to learn that Studebaker was still building flat-head sixes after the other OEMs went to OHV.

quote:

This engine is supposed to have a dipstick tube located just aft of the distributor. Look for a plug where the tube should be.
                Ohh, that explains the one bit of shiny metal on my otherwise oil soaked and weather engine block. [:I]

Thanks again for your assistance. At least now I know what I have and can order the proper parts for it.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
                Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

I remember you mentioning an oil leak. I was hoping that plug is where it's coming from. Another possibility is the in-line hose to the oil pressure gauge. The crankcase could be over-full too.
                  I hope you didn't order that dipstick for a '49 engine that we were originally talking about?

Dwain G.

Comment

Working...
                  X