1944/45 Studebaker on The Simpsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1944/45 Studebaker on The Simpsons

Last night's episode of The Simpsons featured a dream sequence in which the family was back in the 40's. I took a picture of the TV with my camera as it showed this calendar:

Full sized picture here:

Isn't that a '39?
    Darned cartoonist's

(good catch!)
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Of course with WWII still going on in December of 1944, Studebaker, and all other automobile manufacturers in the U.S. would not have been producing civilian vehicles. Maybe they should have put a Weasel, US6, or a B-17 on that calendar. They certainly used these in their advertising during the period.

The Simpsons and Studebaker something weird here.......and thus talking about the future when automotive time was at a standstill.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I wouldn't try to read too much into this. The calendar spends only a second on the screen to establish the timeframe. The fact that the cartoonists put something recongnizable as a Studebaker is just gravy. I don't think one should believe there was mid-war Studebaker any more than one should believe that Marge killed Hitler and all this top brass while they watched a movie of Dumbo dropping bombs on London.

Comment

I didn't see the show last night, but that's twice for that series that the name Studebaker has come up. For most people it's just part of the background on the show, but I'd say that's more than twice the usual exposure that the name is usually mentioned or seen on a sitcom these days, historically accurate or not.

(As a semi related addendum, I have a signed picture of Bart Simpson from Nancy Cartwright on my wall )
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Watching 'The Simpsons' on Sunday night is one of the few remaining not-to-be-missed father/som activities with my hot-shot college Junior son. He's 20 and we've been watching The Simpsons (much to his mother's chagrin) since he was 5. Sometimes Mom walks in, takes a look, and rolls her eyes. Last night she happened in on the last 30 seconds. That one got the old gasp-and-raised eyebrows, while Rob and I chuckled like teenagers (definite R-rated moment!). He says showing a Studebaker is a sure sign that The Simpsons has finally "jumped the shark".

Smart-aleck college kids anyway.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
            X