Thread: clock doesnt work

Deactivated

clock doesnt work

I know I am new to the forum an Studebakers but I am going to ask the question anyway..Does anyone know where to start on a broken clock in a 61 Lark?

Dana Cortes
    Hilton Head, SC

61 Lark Convertible

Blog Entries
    Bob Johnstone's site has a page about this. Check here:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/borgclock.txt

I'd try this first before you think about doing a wholesale movement replacement, just for originality's sake.

The quartz movement replacement is easy; I've done it on several Borg clocks over the years. The one thing you sacrifice is the sweep second hand - it will become a "click" second hand instead. If you can live with this, fine, but some cannot. A few years ago, someone was marketing a quartz kit that had a sweep movement, but it appears to be NLA now.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Deactivated
    Thank you! I will try it.

I would like to do whatever I can to keep it original.

Dana Cortes
    Hilton Head, SC

61 Lark Convertible

President Member
    I'd first try to define "broken". My old clock was "broken" too until I took it apart, cleaned the contact points, put a few drips of WD-40 on the moving parts and then helped it get going by using a toothpick to gently turn the wheel with the clockspring. It's run for over six months now and has never missed a lick.

Here's another link that's a little more involved than the one listed above:

http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/ClockRepair.htm

President Member
    LIKE JOHN SAYS! SIMPLE-SIMPLE TO REPAIR. Most all early 50's clocks run by using a set of points, a spring to actuate, and
    a wire wrapped magnet (solenoid) to reset. The points burn over time and stick. Take the clock apart, clean with an artist brush
    soaked in alcohol. Then clean /file the points smooth. Manually pull the spring back and gently coach the balance wheel a few times.
    Using a toothpick, apply a little silicon oil to each bearing point until the clock runs easily for an hour. Of course, one should remove
    from the dash and do this on a clean workbench. Any battery, 6 volt or 12 volt will run the clock on the bench depending on
    your car's system. I like having a clock running in my car as it was designed. Sure you can send it away for a "better" movement, but
    then, why drive a classic ??

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

President Member
    I pulled mine out of the dash about 3+ years ago, took it out of the case, hosed it down with carb cleaner, let it dry, realigned and filed the points, gave it a shot or two of really light oil, put it back in and it's been ticking like a champ ever since. I think the ticking of the clock, easily heard in a quite garage, and the occasional clunk of the winding mechanism add a lot to the experience of owning the collector car. It's kind of like the heart monitor in a hospital room or something like that.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

If you can pull it out, clean it, lubricate it and make it work like new, you will not only be a happy camper, you will be a proud camper. If this does not work you can fall back to someone who will fix it like new, or replace it with a quartz movement.

Your question has probably been asked a couple dozen times in this forum over the past few years. You can find all the threads by using the "SEARCH" feature above. They will repeat pretty much what you've heard here, with the addition of some recommendations for folks who can do it for you, for a price.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    quote:Originally posted by GTtim
    I think the ticking of the clock, easily heard in a quite garage, and the occasional clunk of the winding mechanism add a lot to the experience of owning the collector car. It's kind of like the heart monitor in a hospital room or something like that.
    Tim...that description got to me.

I took the non op clock out of my '63 this afternoon, followed Starlightchamp's instructions, and it's now working like a top! Those ticking and clunk sounds alone were worth the hour or two. Thanks for the push

Would the same instructions go for an Avanti clock?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

President Member
    I think they are all the same.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

President Member
    Dick said:
    I took the non op clock out of my '63 this afternoon, followed Starlightchamp's instructions, and it's now working like a top! Those ticking and clunk sounds alone were worth the hour or two. Thanks for the push

It's funny how the little things can make such a big difference. Every once in a while, someone will look in at the dash and say, "Hey, look the clock even works!". I go through the garage where the Hawk sits about a dozen times a day to get to the shop on the other side and the sound of clock gives a distinct atmosphere.
    Happy trails,
    Tim

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk