R-3 Avanti (mule)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-3 Avanti (mule)

I posted a thread about this Avanti 2nd week in Sept.The owner finally got back to me in reference to price.He thinks it should be worth $15k & it would cost me $1500. to get it to my door from west coast to Ontario.It runs & drives but needs paint etc.etc..There is a video of the car at Bonneville salt flats when it was red in colour.I think this is a bit pricey as I already have a GT I'm upside down in & fear I will be in the same boat with this if I pay his asking price.Below is a link to previoue thread & some photo's.What do you guys think about the deal ?

IMHO, If the car can be independently documented as an engineering prototype R3 and all the original parts are there, then $15k is a bargain. However, until one of our experts has done the due diligence, it's a crap shoot.

We couldn't count the similar South Bend legends, such as the "factory-supercharged '59 Larks", the '56 Golden Hawks with 2x4bbls from the factory", "the special-ordered C-cab pickups with a supercharger and 4-speed" and "Avanti R4s" and many others which have come through here over the years.

Until proven, The Legend of the Lost R3 Prototype" is just that.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
      I posted a thread about this Avanti 2nd week in Sept.The owner finally got back to me in reference to price.He thinks it should be worth $15k & it would cost me $1500. to get it to my door from west coast to Ontario.It runs & drives but needs paint etc.etc..There is a video of the car at Bonneville salt flats when it was red in colour.I think this is a bit pricey as I already have a GT I'm upside down in & fear I will be in the same boat with this if I pay his asking price.Below is a link to previoue thread & some photo's.What do you guys think about the deal ?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=R-3+Avanti
      Tough decision Kevin. If that engine is a real R3 Crate it is worth his asking price. I don't think you should let this go, but don't bring your life into hardship over it either... If I were you and KNEW this was a Granitelli R3 engine I would buy it in a heartbeat no question about it. There are too many things on that engine that look R3 it makes one wonder. What are the head casting numbers? If you decide to pass, Consider me for this purchase I may/would go into short term debt for it hard ship and all.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have a copy of the build sheet sent to me by JDP.The bottom of the build sheet says it is a proto-type Serial # 63R X9 Engine #EX 2132, converted 63 production car.

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221
          About 2nd week in Sept.I posted a thread about this car.The owner finally got back to me regarding asking price.He figures it should be worth $15k + $1500 to have it shipped from west coast to Ontario.It is super rare & I would love to have it but I think thats a bit much.The car runs & drives but needs things.I already have a GT I'm upside down in & don't want to do it again.What do you guys think.
          Below is a link to the thread & some photo's
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=R-3+Avanti
          And below was the value I placed on THAT Avanti in my post back on 9/3 ...and I'm sticking to it!!!

"IF ...it starts, runs, moves on its own power AND still has an open & clear US title = $15K USD tops."

Comment

Regardless of whether it's a factory mule or not, so much depends on the engine. You need the casting numbers from the block and the cylinder heads. If it's a genuine R3 block, it has value no matter if it was installed by the factory or by someone else. Some of the cylinder heads installed on R3 engines were R2 heads so that affects the value some as well. If it's a genuine R3 block with genuine R3 heads...you've got quite a find...again...regardless of who installed it in the car.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Here is a link to the build sheet

Comment

Go after it Kevin .....you only go around once !
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If the build sheet identifies this as an engineering mule, built as an R2, what documentation shows the conversion to R3? Is the block number the same as the build sheet or is it an R3? What is the part number on the heads ? There is considerable difference in value between a notable R2 used as an engineering mule with R3 valve covers and airbox added at some point by later owners, and moving up to a documented factory experimental car converted and tested for R3 development. Much discussion without the numbers documented is meaningless. I hope it turns out to be a "real deal", documentable factory mule.
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Kevin, If you don't want it I'll give you a cheeseburger and go halves on it with Allen.

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
                      Link does not work ...URL is probably too long and the SDC Forum system automatically shortened it by leaving out some characters. Please try again!

Comment

Try this link for build sheet scroll down below photo's.It works I tried it !

Comment

The production order says Black and Elk vinyl yet I don't see any elk in the interior. Looks all black. Another oddity.

Comment

All I see is Blk.vinyl,no Elk

Comment

Will it get more than 10 miles to the gallon? You were complaining about gas mileage last I heard.
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X