Thread: R-3 Avanti (mule)

President Member

R-3 Avanti (muile)

I posted a thread about this Avanti 2nd week in Sept.The owner finally got back to me in reference to price.He thinks it should be worth $15k & it would cost me $1500. to get it to my door from west coast to Ontario.It runs & drives but needs paint etc.etc..There is a video of the car at Bonneville salt flats when it was red in colour.I think this is a bit pricey as I already have a GT I'm upside down in & fear I will be in the same boat with this if I pay his asking price.Below is a link to previoue thread & some photo's.What do you guys think about the deal ?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=R-3+Avanti

Silver Hawk Member
    IMHO, If the car can be independently documented as an engineering prototype R3 and all the original parts are there, then $15k is a bargain. However, until one of our experts has done the due diligence, it's a crap shoot.

We couldn't count the similar South Bend legends, such as the "factory-supercharged '59 Larks", the '56 Golden Hawks with 2x4bbls from the factory", "the special-ordered C-cab pickups with a supercharger and 4-speed" and "Avanti R4s" and many others which have come through here over the years.

Until proven, The Legend of the Lost R3 Prototype" is just that.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member studebaker-R2-4-me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmul221 View Post
    I posted a thread about this Avanti 2nd week in Sept.The owner finally got back to me in reference to price.He thinks it should be worth $15k & it would cost me $1500. to get it to my door from west coast to Ontario.It runs & drives but needs paint etc.etc..There is a video of the car at Bonneville salt flats when it was red in colour.I think this is a bit pricey as I already have a GT I'm upside down in & fear I will be in the same boat with this if I pay his asking price.Below is a link to previoue thread & some photo's.What do you guys think about the deal ?

Tough decision Kevin. If that engine is a real R3 Crate it is worth his asking price. I don't think you should let this go, but don't bring your life into hardship over it either... If I were you and KNEW this was a Granitelli R3 engine I would buy it in a heartbeat no question about it. There are too many things on that engine that look R3 it makes one wonder. What are the head casting numbers? If you decide to pass, Consider me for this purchase I may/would go into short term debt for it hard ship and all.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter mile

Oakville, Ontario .
    Hamilton Chapter

President Member
    I have a copy of the build sheet sent to me by JDP.The bottom of the build sheet says it is a proto-type Serial # 63R X9 Engine #EX 2132, converted 63 production car.

Banned
    About 2nd week in Sept.I posted a thread about this car.The owner finally got back to me regarding asking price.He figures it should be worth $15k + $1500 to have it shipped from west coast to Ontario.It is super rare & I would love to have it but I think thats a bit much.The car runs & drives but needs things.I already have a GT I'm upside down in & don't want to do it again.What do you guys think.
    Below is a link to the thread & some photo's
    And below was the value I placed on THAT Avanti in my post back on 9/3 ...and I'm sticking to it!!!

"IF ...it starts, runs, moves on its own power AND still has an open & clear US title = $15K USD tops."

Regardless of whether it's a factory mule or not, so much depends on the engine. You need the casting numbers from the block and the cylinder heads. If it's a genuine R3 block, it has value no matter if it was installed by the factory or by someone else. Some of the cylinder heads installed on R3 engines were R2 heads so that affects the value some as well. If it's a genuine R3 block with genuine R3 heads...you've got quite a find...again...regardless of who installed it in the car.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    Here is a link to the build sheet

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/...50/ex2947.html

Go after it Kevin .....you only go around once !
    [IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1952 2R6

President Member
    If the build sheet identifies this as an engineering mule, built as an R2, what documentation shows the conversion to R3? Is the block number the same as the build sheet or is it an R3? What is the part number on the heads ? There is considerable difference in value between a notable R2 used as an engineering mule with R3 valve covers and airbox added at some point by later owners, and moving up to a documented factory experimental car converted and tested for R3 development. Much discussion without the numbers documented is meaningless. I hope it turns out to be a "real deal", documentable factory mule.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Kevin, If you don't want it I'll give you a cheeseburger and go halves on it with Allen.

Banned
    Link does not work ...URL is probably too long and the SDC Forum system automatically shortened it by leaving out some characters. Please try again!

President Member
    Try this link for build sheet scroll down below photo's.It works I tried it !

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/...50/EX2947.html

President Member
    The production order says Black and Elk vinyl yet I don't see any elk in the interior. Looks all black. Another oddity.

President Member
    All I see is Blk.vinyl,no Elk

Will it get more than 10 miles to the gallon? You were complaining about gas mileage last I heard.

55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

I see 2moordoors has figured out his Avatar !
    [IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1952 2R6

President Member
    Since I re-jetted & meter rodded the carb the milage has gone from 5-7 mpg to about 18, That I can live with.

That's good news about the carb Kevin. BTW you would look good in an Avanti if you want it you should have it.

For 2R5 I will change the Avatar as soon as I find the right pic

55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

All I see is Blk.vinyl,no Elk
    I agree. The photocopy version is just bad. It seems to spell out "BLK VINYL" after the BKV abbreviation. It is noteworthy to see the correct term, "Model R" on this factory production order. Another memory discrepancy from one of the previously discussed articles stating that Project Avanti was Model X, which I had only thought was the 1959 Lark.

President Member studebaker-R2-4-me's Avatar
    Since I re-jetted & meter rodded the carb the milage has gone from 5-7 mpg to about 18, That I can live with.
    Wow that's great news Kevin. I really happy that you have that done. It was pretty easy wasn't it? How much black soot is coming from the tail pipe now?

Allen

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter mile

Oakville, Ontario .
    Hamilton Chapter