Studebaker Build Sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Build Sheets

Does anyone know if build sheets are available for Studebakers? I would love to know more information about exactly when my car was built. I have been able to determine from the VIN that it was built in South Bend. I do not know what month or exactly which model it was sold as. Any direction on this would be appreciated.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....

Easy as that!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Charles,
      You really must join the Studebaker Drivers Club. The resources available will blow your mind.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Am I the only one who has a computer that shows the thread starters name, join date and address on the left side of the screen??? Somebody is always suggesting that a forum user join the SDC club when its obvious he is already a member. I ts a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
          Am I the only one who has a computer that shows the thread starters name, join date and address on the left side of the screen??? Somebody is always suggesting that a forum user join the SDC club when its obvious he is already a member. I ts a mystery to me.
          I can solve the mystery for you. On the left you see that the person is a FORUM member since the date they registered for it (join date). Anyone can be a member of the forum regardless of whether or not they're SDC members. Has nothing to do with SDC membership. So there's no way to tell if they're an SDC member by the info shown.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanx for the info. I didn't know that but it makes sense now.

Comment

I've got a question about production orders.

I'd like to buy my brother-in-law one for his '49 for his upcoming birthday. Seems like I've seen some that just have a bunch of codes on them, instead of descriptions of equipment like the '60's production orders have. If I pay $40 for this from the SNM (ouch!...and I love the SNM), will I get a bunch of codes that I don't have any idea what they mean, or does the SNM provide a key to them when they send the sheet?

Thanks.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill you will get something like I got for my 52, see attached image. You may have to enlarge it 150% see the details.
                Attached Files

Comment

Something which might make a better gift would be a Window Price Sticker. They weren't available in 1952 but Studebaker Wheel on this forum can supply a very attractive fantasy one.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

In order for it to be accurate, you would need to spring for the build sheet and have Richard produce a Maroney window sticker.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      In order for it to be accurate, you would need to spring for the build sheet and have Richard produce a Maroney window sticker.
                      Actually I can make them up w/o the production orders but it would require a detailed list of options and accessories, color etc. Yes, the window price sticker is much better for display
                      at shows than the production order.
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Us younger guys (gee, I don't get to say that often!!! ) find it hard to belive that cars ever came without a window sticker...they've had them for as long as I can remember.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                          Does anyone know if build sheets are available for Studebakers? I would love to know more information about exactly when my car was built. I have been able to determine from the VIN that it was built in South Bend. I do not know what month or exactly which model it was sold as. Any direction on this would be appreciated.
                          WELCOME …to the SDC Forum!!!

Studebaker did not use a “Build Sheet” per se as did other manufacturers in later years. They used a “Production Order” form that provided peculiar information about the vehicle to be built. Also, back in the Studebaker days there was no (Federal) requirement for universal format "VIN" (Vehicle Identification Number) coding therefore each manufacturer came up with their own “Serial Number” coding to identify their vehicles.

Eddie, the good news is if you know the vehicle's "Serial Number" there is a good chance you can obtain a copy of Studebaker’s “Production Order” by contacting the Studebaker National Museum Archives here:
                          http://tinyurl.com/2aocwj2
                          Last edited by Welcome; 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM. Reason: Original URL was too long; try this "TinyURL" version

Comment

If Richard's "Sample" window sticker was for a 1951 Champion business coupe instead of a 4dr sedan, I'd sware it was a twin to Tom Elliott's Business Coupe! With a few exceptions, I think Matthew Burnette would agree.

Dan Miller
                            Auburn, GA

Comment

Ed,
                              You should contact Dan Booth...i know he has amazing Avanti production line sheets detailing every aspect of the car as it moved through production. They are on several 8X10 sheets of yellow paper. I am not sure if he has sheets for other cars but you should ask
                              Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X