Studebaker "Sparrow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker "Sparrow"

A few days ago I got to talking Studebakers (there's a shock ) and one of the things mentioned was a "new" Lark that was never produced. It was supposed to be powered by the Flat Four engine (Now in the SNM) and was supposed to be called the "Sparrow". (The idea was scrapped by Egbert with the Flat Four and never produced). If I have my facts somewhat straight, it was supposed to look something like the lark prototype in the basement of the SNM. (The BLACK LARK with the angled grille, next to the "Sceptre". I don't mean the rear engine lark). I know that the flat four exists, but has anybody ever heard of the "Sparrow" prototype???
    Thanks.
    Chris Dresbach

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    I know that the flat four exists, but has anybody ever heard of the "Sparrow" prototype???
    Thanks.
    Yes, and the only design element that survived the axing of the project by Egbert were the wheel covers which appeared on the 1964's & '65's.

Craig

Comment

And good looking wheel covers they were.

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Yes, and the only design element that survived the axing of the project by Egbert were the wheel covers which appeared on the 1964's & '65's.

Craig

Comment

This One?:
        Attached Files
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Thank goodness they didn't build that.......
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The 'Before Egbert' 1962 proposal was a Lark on two different wheelbases, 100" and 108". The doors would have been common to both models. The shorter one would have had the flat four engine and probably would have been named 'Sparrow'.

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

The short one sure favors a Rambler at the rear quarter.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

LOL! Whenever I see the first one in Craig's pictures I always think of that mean baby with the unibrow on The Simpsons

Neither one was very attractive. Which of course means if they had built them I'd be all over them today
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics, I think both concepts look great. The side styling reminds me of small imports that came here in the 1960's and early 1970's. The only complaint I have is the cantilevered grill, but otherwise very nice. Leaves me to wonder if they would have remained in the automobile business longer had they funded this project rather than the Avanti project, but I suppose they would have charged too much to be competitive with the imports due to Studebaker's high labor costs.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    Leaves me to wonder if they would have remained in the automobile business longer had they funded this project rather than the Avanti project,....
                    A world without the Avanti!!!!! BITE YOUR TONGUE
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                      A world without the Avanti!!!!! BITE YOUR TONGUE
                      Yeah, I guess things worked out for the best. On second thought, too bad they didnt spend the funding for this project on the Champ pickups. It could have been an awesome looking truck had they designed a fleetside bed for it along with other updates.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I've always thought that the first pic, the one with the angled grille, looked much like an early '70s Volvo 140. The smaller one, with the more Lark-like grille, reminds me of a Datsun 510 in the greenhouse and fender area.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                          This One?:
                          That is the exact car! That photo appeared in Turning Wheels a few years ago and I recognised it as a "Sparrow", it just didn't say "Sparrow".
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                            That is the exact car! That photo appeared in Turning Wheels a few years ago and I recognised it as a "Sparrow", it just didn't say "Sparrow".
                            I think your're just testing our Studebaker knowledge, Chris.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I think your're just testing our Studebaker knowledge, Chris.

Craig
                              Not testing, just a second opinion. "Proof of a thought."
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X