Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Seen These $300 Studebaker GT Hawk Models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Seen These $300 Studebaker GT Hawk Models?

They are being advertised as "new" releases from a company called "MiniMarque" but some of you scale model collectors will recognize them as nothing more than reissues of the older (and much cheaper) GT Hawk from an English company called Mini Marque "43".

The original models came out over 15 years ago and were largely panned by collectors who were unhappy with the odd proportions and scale. The models were actually 1:41 scale and it looked like the English manufacturer had never actually saw a real GT Hawk in person. Here are some comparison images of the original from one of the online forums.

The "new" model could have been a winner (and maybe worth the $300 price tag) if the manufacturer had bothered to correct the many errors on the original pattern. Sadly, this did not happen and we are left with another caricature of a Studebaker - rather than an accurate scale replica.

The problems are too many to list but the most glaring errors are the banana-shape when viewed from the side. Also, the body is too tall, the rear fenders are too long, the front is too flat and the windshield is slanted back too far. Here are comparison images of the "new" $300 version.

What a mess!

Jordan

Hmph!

It's mysterious to me that there has never been a GT Hawk in 1:18 or 1:24/25...nor, apparently, a decent rendering in 1:43. The only GT I've got in my collection is one of the little HO model-railway '62s produced years and years ago when such models were typically very crude; actually this one, though it lacks chrome detailing, et cetera, that would be found on any modern HO (or even N) vehicle, is at least shaped more or less like a GT...unlike the pictured diecasts, which really do look a bit of a dog's breakfast!

S.

Comment

Thank you for the information. $300 is to much for me correct or not.
      Check out the Toy Studebaker Collectors Club forum and post this information there if you can. I know the collectors there will like to see the pictures and information.

For those who collect toys and models of Studebaker vehicles.-Toy Studebaker Collectors' Club Forum Topics-Joining Information, and Forum Questions.-The Welcome Wagon (a Conestoga wagon, of course!)
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
        Hmph!

It's mysterious to me that there has never been a GT Hawk in 1:18 or 1:24/25...nor, apparently, a decent rendering in 1:43. The only GT I've got in my collection is one of the little HO model-railway '62s produced years and years ago when such models were typically very crude; actually this one, though it lacks chrome detailing, et cetera, that would be found on any modern HO (or even N) vehicle, is at least shaped more or less like a GT...unlike the pictured diecasts, which really do look a bit of a dog's breakfast!

S.
        The "new" GT Hawk was advertised as "1:43 scale" - as are all Mini Marque models. However, if you were to build one of those 1:43 scale Studebaker dealership diorama's and place the GT Hawk next to either the '53 or '54 Studebaker by Brooklin Models or the Conquest Models '55 Speedster, whatever illusion of realism existed will be shattered.

As far as larger scales, 1:43 scale has always had more of a sophisticated following. The 1:24 and 1:18 diecast stuff has been getting better recently but still suffers from large door gaps, gimmicky opening features and cheap build-quality. Most car enthusiasts go for these larger scales since they equate larger size with better value and think toyish opening doors and hoods are "neat". The problem is if they start collecting more examples, they quickly run out of shelf space and their collections end up looking more like a Toys r Us display. You don't have that problem with 1:43 scale.

Comment

UGH! $30.00 would be too much for THAT!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can't figure it out why they can't make a GT in 1/24 or 1/18 scale but I can buy a 52 lincoln capri which is not a MILESTONE car ! go figure at least I bet one third of the members in the club would a GT if it was 1/24 or 1/18 scale no queestions asked.

Comment

Jordan,

Nicely done with the comparison photos. Does show the glaring differences. They also missed on the quarter-window.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by WhatlingtonRd View Post
                The "new" GT Hawk was advertised as "1:43 scale" - as are all Mini Marque models. However, if you were to build one of those 1:43 scale Studebaker dealership diorama's and place the GT Hawk next to either the '53 or '54 Studebaker by Brooklin Models or the Conquest Models '55 Speedster, whatever illusion of realism existed will be shattered.

As far as larger scales, 1:43 scale has always had more of a sophisticated following. The 1:24 and 1:18 diecast stuff has been getting better recently but still suffers from large door gaps, gimmicky opening features and cheap build-quality. Most car enthusiasts go for these larger scales since they equate larger size with better value and think toyish opening doors and hoods are "neat". The problem is if they start collecting more examples, they quickly run out of shelf space and their collections end up looking more like a Toys r Us display. You don't have that problem with 1:43 scale.
                hi, can you or any member please tell me who makes that fantastic dealership model, i searched for hours and up blank, please help

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The front of the model must have been confused with a Mercedes Benz.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                      The front of the model must have been confused with a Mercedes Benz.
                      Or an uglyfied Facel Vega.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Black Hawk 1964 View Post
                        I can't figure it out why they can't make a GT in 1/24 or 1/18 scale but I can buy a 52 lincoln capri which is not a MILESTONE car ! go figure at least I bet one third of the members in the club would a GT if it was 1/24 or 1/18 scale no queestions asked.
                        Thats easy, it is too expensive and no one can make money off them. The tooling alone would be in excess of $125,000 and the metals used in production have nearly tripled in price in the past 4-5 years as has the labor cost (China). Two of the biggest die cast makers are no longer doing cars i.e Danbury and Crown Premiums.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Proscale Models

Originally posted by jeff f View Post
                          hi, can you or any member please tell me who makes that fantastic dealership model, i searched for hours and up blank, please help
                          Here is a quote from this Website:
                          http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/w...16614250930771

May 21, 2012 8:22 PM
                          Back in 2000, I bought a really nice styrene Texaco gas station from a company called Proscale Models, that made a nice line of several different branded gasoline stations from the 1950s-1960s. Even today this Texaco station occupies a prominent place on my layout and is really a nice piece. Is this compnay in business any more? Did someone buy the tooling for the gas stations and is anyone selling them?

Our "X" Whatcom County Chapter Member here in Bellingham, WA was making these as ProScale models, I do not know if Jim is still doing that.

He had Studebaker Dealerships and Gas Stations, very detailed.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I really like this O scale Oldsmobile dealer building.
                            A Studebaker sign could be shrunk down, printed and glued to it....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Hawk 1964 View Post
                              It seems like anymore it's hard to find ANY 1:18 scale models; or I should say any new ones. Just like it was already said, they cost so much to make in that scale that the manufacturer can't make any money off them. I have a handful of 1:43 scale models but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I do my 1:18 scales. For me I enjoy looking at the detail of the car as opposed to just getting to own it. What I mean by that is the smaller the scale of the car, the less detailed it is. It's a shame that there probably won't be any new 1:18 scale Studebakers coming out anytime soon. Sometimes I like to build my own, such as this 1:18 scale 1953 prototype.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X