1956 Studebaker President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Studebaker President

I'm helping my father sell his 56 president. We don't have a clue where to start. Not sure what it's worth or what the best avenue is to sell this classic car. I've only found a handful of presidents that are similar for sale to compare it to. If you can offer any help or direction to sell this old car we would appreciate it. I'm hoping to type up some kind of history and take some pictures of it this weekend.

Details, details....it will help to have more info on the car. 2dr / 4dr / is a regular president or a Classic (long wheebase) / auto or stick / condition / color / location / etc, etc.
    Mike Sal

Comment

Hi, I am very familiar with 56 Presidents since that was the first new car our family bought and I own a 57. It would be helpful to list what equipment is on the car, condition such as original or restored, repaint etc. Also, is there any rust and does the car run. Finally, pictures help and then a realistic price might be put on the car.
      Brian Millette

Comment

Hi
        I, too, will be glad to provide any information you need on your Father's '56 President.

The first would be to identify which of the three models you have, those three are:
        Standard 116.5" wheelbase President models:
        Model Style Body Type Price Production
        56H---W6---4 door sedan---$2,235---6,822
        56H---F6----2 door sedan---$2,188---1,914
        Long 120.5" wheelbase President Classic:
        56H---Y6----4 door sedan---$2,489---8,507

As has been pointed out, condition, equipment, etc. are the key to it's value. I will say that while it is the most desirable model for '56 to me, and generally positively regarded by many of the SDC members, the value will no where near what the popular '56 Golden Hawk and other Hawk models command.

As a range, after following sales over the last decade, original rundown cars sell for around $1,000, the bulk of decent cars from $2,500 to approximately $6,000. Various attempts to sell '56 Presidents for more than that upper number go on for years, except at the occasional collector car auction when they appear, usually go unsold in those venues as well.
        These are simply my observations and opinions, you may find the opinions of others who trade Studebakers more instructive.

Steve
        Last edited by 56H-Y6; 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I also have a '56 president classic. Mine was built in LosAngelis & it's mocha/doeskin in color. It has power windows & power seat. I think these are some good looking cars, but rarely seen outside of a studebaker club event. I know I didn't really know what I was looking at the first time I saw one, as no one in my neck of the woods had one when I was growing up.
          Mike sal

Comment

Thank you for the feed back. It is a four door, the car was painted and interior done about 11 years ago. We just got it out of the shop where they rebuilt the carb., transmission, and the brakes were done. I've attached pictures I took of it yesterday.The only item that doesn't appear to work is the motorolla radio. Are the classic car auctions the better route to sell a care like this, or just patiently waiting on the private party?
            Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on an exceptionally nice car. It should sell quickly at the right price. Question is, what is that right price?

1. Offer to sell it here to some of the more active members of the Stude community. No cost.
              2. If if doesn't sell here, we'll help you write a good description for a local craigslist ad, also no cost.
              3. List it in the SDC monthly magazine for .50 per word plus $10 for a photo.
              4. Run an eBay listing for a significant charge.
              5. Auctions love "no reserve" listings, but an uncommon car such as you have can die at the wrong auction. Personally, I'd never run that car through an auction.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

What color is the car? On my monitor it looks purple. Is it a rose color?
                Thank You
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Where is this car located?

Comment

On my small notebook screen, the car appears to be a very nice 1956 President Classic with a later set of wheelcovers. You say that the interior was redone. Is it stock appearing?
                    I have an interest in the car, but that partly depends on where the car is.
                    Since you do not have a price in mind, I suggest putting it on eBay with a very low starting price and a reserve at the lowest price that you will accept for the car. The market will determine today's market price for the car.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Be aware that this Car is the top of the line, luxury, long wheelbase sedan, not a President 4 Dr. but a President Classic. It came standard with a 289, 4 Barrel Carb., Dual Exhaust, 225 HP power plant.

This body type is known to Studebaker people as a "Y" body, because that is it's body code, which you find on the passenger side of the firewall as: 56H = 1956 President 289 V-8, Y6 = Long Wheelbase Sedan, trim level 6 President Classic. Followed by it's line sequence number on the body line, NOT the final assembly line.

Colors are Mocha and Doeskin, pretty much Rose (Mauve) and a Beige/Pink.

After trying the other selling options offered to you here, ebay will be your best last resort, with great coverage but high fees for listing a vehicle, adding a reserve, selling fee and now even a mandatory PayPal fee. >>>$$$+++

If using this method, be SURE to note that ONLY the Deposit may be paid with PayPal, NOT the final payment, which should be by Cashier's Check, Bank Transfer or Cash, and the Car and title will not be delivered until the Check clears.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

If using this method, be SURE to note that ONLY the Deposit may be paid with PayPal, NOT the final payment, which should be by Cashier's Check, Bank Transfer or Cash, and the Car and title will not be delivered until the Check clears.
                        Good advice, except I would add: Offer buyers the option to pay the entire amout by PayPal IF they are willing to pay the PayPal fees, an additional 3 or 4 percent. I have had buyers willing to do so to save the hassle of conventional methods. This is the best of all worlds- the payment is instant, 100% guaranteed, and non-revokable; and it fixes PayPal's only negative, the seller's fee.

I especially like this when I sell overseas; no waiting for a Money Order to arrive, then wait for it to clear (which can still be questionable later); no need to figure out the exchange rate, it's done for you; and no need to try to figure out how to get a wire transfer from another country (a bit tricky at times).

Otherwise, as Rich said, just take a deposit through PayPal- that way you've at least got some money for the eBay fees if the seller flakes out. Depending on the situation, you may think it worthwhile to eat the PayPal costs just for the above reasons.

You have a pretty car there. Hopefully we can help you find it the new home you're seeking.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Location of the car

The car is in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area. The interior looks very much stock. It was not modernized in my opinion. I have attached some pictures of the interior. I'm reading a lot of good ideas, but I get the feeling that ebay is great for exposure, if you're willing to pay the fees. I would really like your opinions as far as what does a nice President like this go for, 2-5k/5-10k/10k-up?
                          Thank you again!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            [B][COLOR="Blue"]Be aware that this Car is the top of the line, luxury, long wheelbase sedan, not a President 4 Dr. but a President Classic. It came standard with a 289, 4 Barrel Carb., Dual Exhaust, 225 HP power plant.
                            Easy, Rich; remember: The 4 bbl 289 was rated at 210 HP in 1956 only. It was upped to 225 HP for 1957 due to a modest compression increase: 7.50:1 (some sources say 7.80:1) for 1956, and 8.00:1 (some sources say 8.30:1) for 1957.

2bbl 289s were rated at 195 HP in 1956 only, advancing to the more "normal" 210 HP rating (with a 2bbl) for 1957 until the end of production. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wandering OT here as we are wont to do, but many experienced Stude hands swear the '56s were the fastest of all the non-R1 289"s. My theory is the 289" was such an improvement over the 232"-224"-259", that when it first appeared, it seemed a rocket ship. Then, after '56 there were fewer and fewer cars offered with the 289" in later years. Hard to understand, since the 289" cost the same to make as the 259", why it wasn't available on every car/truck Stude sold.

jack vines

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X