Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator

I just bought a 1962 Hawk. I need a radiator. Is there a replacement to be had? I don't think the old one can be repaired. I droped it off in the Shop today and it did not look good!

Leroy, check out these two threads:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...g!!-Dan-giblin...
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I may be in the minority here but, the only Studebaker radiators I've seen that can't be repaired are ones that have been involved in collisions.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        I may be in the minority here but, the only Studebaker radiators I've seen that can't be repaired are ones that have been involved in collisions.
        I don't think your in a minority here at all. I just finished installing a re-cored radiator of my 63 Lark. The radiator shop installed a tranmission cooler pipe in the bottom section of the radiator ( for a future powershift conversion) and used a 3 row core for better cooling in the original radiator. My old radiator was not in good shape either. The new re-cored radiator sure keeps the engine a lot cooler.
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

What I was asking is there a Radiator out there that will interchange with a 62 Hawk radiator. I have found no direct replacement with other web sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy Cook View Post
            What I was asking is there a Radiator out there that will interchange with a 62 Hawk radiator. I have found no direct replacement with other web sites.
            My rebuild cost me $540 with the internal cooler. Keep your Hawk stock and have it rebuilt. Good Luck
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

To answer your question.
              There are no direct 'bolt in replacement' radiators sold in the aftermarket (ie: Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc)
              You will need to have your radiator repaired, recored, or replaced.
              (replaced with another used, reconditioned, or custom fabricated radiator)
              The radiator for a 1957 through 1964 Hawk should bolt right in.
              (Someone else might have more specific Hawk swap info)
              HTIH
              Jeff

Originally posted by Leroy Cook View Post
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Several years ago when my Avanti was being rebuilt, I looked into having an aluminum radiator fabricated for the car. I did a web search and found a custom builder who said if I provided the dimensions he could build one for about $400...a bit more it required transmission cooler lines installed. It ended up I didn't need it as my radiator was in fine shape and didn't require anything but a good cleaning out.

Unfortunately I don't have the custom radiator shop's name but I believe they were in Ohio.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Many thanks for the information! I just dropped off the radiator to the repair shop and ask that it be repaired. And I left my Check Book with him! I just hope he is fair priced. As per the shop manager this radiator is better than any aftermarker radiator obtainable.

Comment

Working...
                  X