No announcement yet.

I just Bought a 1953 2R5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Most important thing about using 6 volts is to use THE CORRECT GAGE CABLES - the two cables that feed power to the starter AND the ground cable. 6 volt cables are significantly larger in diameter than 12 volt cables. Thru the years, 12 volt cables may well have been subbed and this can really be an inhibiting factor to good starting on 6 volts. Not only should thery be the correct gage, but the ends should be on good and with nice. clean, solid attachment at their ends. Otherwise, there's gonna be headaches.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well I went out and purchased a 6V Battery for this coming weekend. We shall see how things go. I believe the truck was last started in the 70s. Ill give it a good going through first and try and get her going on the original 6v system. Thanks for the help guys. Im going to start a new thread and post up some pics of the two trucks I saved from the crusher. One was free, the other $200.00 CAN I think I should be able to make one nice truck out of the two.

Comment

So I took a stab at it today, hooked up the battery, took a quick look at fluids, pulled out and checked/cleaned the plugs. Tried starting it and it turned over. K good start. Checked for spark, I have spark at the distributor but not at the plugs so its either the cap and/or the rotor I figure. The other thing I noticed is that the negative was hooked up to the block? Isnt it supposed to be postive ground? I hooked up the battery the same way I found it with the negative to the block. I also hooked up positve on the coil to distributor and neg to ignition like the manual says. Am I on the right track here??

Comment

Working...
        X