Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color question: How dark is 'Black Cherry'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color question: How dark is 'Black Cherry'?

I want to know what 'Black Cherry' really looked like. Does anybody have a picture of original 1950-51 'Black Cherry' paint (or repaint)?

I have a 1951 color chip page with 2 reds: Comanche Red (my car's original color) and Black Cherry. The Comanche Red chip matches my firewall and appears to be an accurate rendition of the actual paint color. The Black Cherry chip is really dark (almost black) and I'm wondering if it's very accurate for how dark Black Cherry was. When I look online the image of the Black Cherry chip also looks very dark like my chip.

I like the dark paint chip a lot so I'm hoping it's accurate. I want the color to be really dark or else I will just repaint with Comanche Red. I don't want a Purple car.

BTW, I saw a Black Silverado pickup on the highway that seemed to have a subtle blue-red tone. Was it just my eyes or does Chevy have a color similar to my Black Cherry chip?

Thanks!
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Most modern Black Cherry colors are really Black that requires a lot of sunlight to see any Red, the Studebaker Black cherry was a nice deep, dark RED with only a touch of Blue giving it that slightly purple-ish Burgundy look, but certainly not Purple.

Chips won't work, you need to see a test panel of it sprayed, or a real car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,

Your description of Studebaker Black Cherry sounds like what I was hoping. When I bought my car 3 years ago it had a very weathered lacquer repaint from many years ago (30 plus) in what I assume was supposed to be Black Cherry. The areas where the paint is still good look like what you describe - very dark red with a touch of blue. I can order Studebaker 'Black Cherry' from AutoColorLibrary in Southern California.

I just picked up my newly repaired and primed fenders, hood, front and rear sheet metal from the body man this week. Tomorrow I hope to finish stripping the doors down to bare steel so I can soon get the rest of the car primed. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get some color on her.

Cheers!

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
      Jim Mann
      Victoria, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Pat and Emily Skelly had their beauty of a '62 GT Hawk painted Black Cherry and it is stunning.
        Maybe they can let you know what paint color numbers they used.
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Try this.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
          55 Speedster (in work)
          63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)
          85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
          89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. I have just sent a PM to Pat Skelly.

Jackson, the color on the 50 Starlight in your link looks like what I believed Black Cherry to be.

Thanks to all.

Cheers!

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

Working...
            X