Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing floor rust by back seat...will the fender need to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing floor rust by back seat...will the fender need to go...

I just ordered a new right rear body brace and a filler panel to finish the right side floor repair on my Lark hardtop. I discovered that my quick repair years ago made a heck of a mess that I need to correct. Can anyone tell me if I am going to need to remove the rear fender to do any welding in (or under) the window pocket?

thanks

Jeff T.

ps anybody have a good used Right rear wheel well off a parts car or can recomend a patch panel from something else that would work. Another quick repair gone bad
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

If your refering to this area in the box, then yes fender removal would help in repairing the areas. note patch panels made.

Now if your just going to fix the wheel well hole that develops where the rear seat/wheel well, and arm rest panel meet the floor.....you wouldn't need to remove the fender.

But chances are.......that if you have rust/hole in SAID area then the quote "window pockets" will need some attention. Penetrating oil on those fender bolts.
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

My arm rest panel is fine, I guess that I'll see what the rear patch panel looks like to see if the fender needs to come because the patch goes under the arm rest panel. I was hoping not to take the fender off until next year or after I get the floor done. You know, "Fix a little, drive a little" not "aw hell, I might as well gut the thing" My right rear inner fender has a hole that starts up at the seat belt mount and may go down to the floor panel. I'll see what I got to work with when I get it cleaned up

Oh well, if life was easy

Jeff T.
      The Replacements.

Comment

Kevin's problem area looks all too familiar....

Looks like you're doing a really good job Kevin, I need to do the same thing to this 1964 Daytona.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That panel between the inner & outer fender is a very common rust out. From the limited experience I have had it appears to be more on 4 doors than 2 doors, although the panel itself seems to be the same on both. Perhaps Classic Enterprises can come up with a repo in galvanized steel for a more permenent repair?
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the pictures of the hardtop...they confirm my worst fear that I will need to pull my right fender to properly fix the floor and perhap a few other things. Now if I could find an inner wheel well with a similar arc from a mustang or a some gm that I could patch into my work in progress. I may check with the local TSC (farm store) they offer trailer fenders, if the steel is not too thick
            The Replacements.

Comment

Jeff,

I am getting ready to send a 60 Lark 2 door and a 1963 Lark 2 door to the crusher. Floors are rusty on both. Are you looking for the "wheel well" itself?
              If so what side? And what year and model car?
              George King
              Grants Pass, Oregon
              64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

George,

Working on a 62 hardtop, pm sent
                The Replacements.

Comment

Posted by JeffT
                  I may check with the local TSC (farm store) they offer trailer fenders, if the steel is not too thick
                  Jeff
                  The thickness is only a problem if you are worried about the OEM look. I'd bet the thickest you would find is 16 ga or less. It is a pleasure to MIG thinner metal to it as it acts as a heat sink and you can run .023 wire into it all day. Just run the wire from the new metal into the old and you will do great.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X