Stude lock cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude lock cylinders

I would like to try to re-key a pair of 1963 Lark door lock cylinders. I have done other brands in the past but
    these are different. The cylinder comes out of the front along with the rod it appears.
    Is there a "wafer" in the rear of the lock that I need a special tool to release it?
    I could take it to a locksmith, but I am trying to learn how these work/come apart.
    thanks,
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

George, you will find that the earlier type of Yale locks used up to 1962, with the swing open water/dirt covers are much easier to work with. That is because they are not "sealed" as the later ones are, making it near impossible to access the tumblers.

When you match the length of the actuating rods, all Studebaker door locks interchange even the Hurd brand ones used on most Eight Cylinder cars and Commanders prior to 1960.

Yes there IS a simple "C" clip inside the door you have to remove first. A screwdriver or pliers works fine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They do not come apart, someone here developed a tricky process of drilling the case in just the right spot to remove the tumblers. As I tried to say; use '62 and earlier, those locks with the built-in dust doors are throw away.
      New ones are available.
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Many Thanks, Dwain!!!
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

I figured out the same procedure (wish I'd known that instruction sheet was available sooner....it would have saved me cutting a lock in half to find out where to drill the hole). It's really not hard to do. Just make sure to drill the hole at the "6 o'clock" position.

I still need to find some locks with unpitted housings (I don't need the keys). If anybody has any, let me know.
            Mike Sal

Comment

Mike, are they the same as 63 Hawks? if so I have a pair of n.o.s. here without keys.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I took that instruction sheet to my locksmith and, following the instructions, he got them apart with no problem. Works like a charm!

I believe the Hawk and Lark locks are different - varying rod length.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

4 door & 2 door shaft lenghs are different too, why is a question that baffles me since the doors appear to be the same width.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm not sure if the hawk cylinders are the same or not, but if the housing is the same, the shaft wouldn't make any difference, as I can swap them out with the ones from the lark. Send me a note on how much you want for them. My email is miso7@wabash.net
                    thanks,
                    Mike Sal

Comment

2 dr vs 4 dr car locks. I think the doors on a two door car are slightly diffenent in width due to where the lock is located in relationship to the length of the car. The outside profile of the car is different than the profile of the inside of the car. Since the two door version is longer than the 4dr version, it makes the width of the door different.
                      Mike Sal

Comment

I am missing he outside rain/dirt cover for one of my 51 Champion's door locks. Anyone know where they are sold? The lock works fine, so I don't need to replace the whole lock.

Regards,
                        Clarence

Comment

In a Studebaker parts book, if it were listed at all which it is not, it would be NSS! Not sold separately!

A new assembly is required.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I went through this a could weeks ago when the shaft from the lock broke. I was able to call Myers Studebaker bought a used one for $20 (as oppossed to the $80 that SI and Myers wanted for a new piece) which I took to a local locksmith and he rekeyed it for $6 to match my ignition key. No fuss, no muss. Seriously, I have no idea the mechanic does it, but he does it!
                            Last edited by stude62; 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X