1950 Champion Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Brakes

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I don't remember the answer! I want to convert my 50 champ's brakes to a set of 55 v-8 brakes. It seems like I have read that the rear conversion can be done by changing the axel shafts with those from a 51 champ and then it's a boltup proceedure. I have a 51 champ rear end of the appropriate ratio but it would have to be rebuilt. In front what is the best way to go? Adapt later model spindles or changeout the entire spindle/kingpin assemblies? What parts are needed for this? Thanks for the help. Bob

You are correct about the rear axle, it may be a bolt up procedure, but be aware that the wheels may have different bolt circles/number of bolts.

The front end, however is a totally different ball game. You may have to swap the entire front cross member. Wait for better advice on this.

Comment

Contact Anne F Goodman. It seem to me, they put disc brake on the front of their car. I think it was their 1949 or 1950 champion.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll check with Anne and see what I can find out. Bob

Comment

In '50 they changed to a slightly larger spindle on the Champions, so you may be able to install the later drums and backing plates on it , but I can't say for sure. It may also be possible to use the later spindles on your existing suspension. The rear end shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Comment

Email Sent.
            I have lark brakes on the Champion. David took the old backing plates off and clamped the new ones centering them on the axles. He then used spray paint to paint the mounting bolt holes so he could drill them. He re-drilled the axles and attached the backing plates. The only main problem was the castle nut was too thick. he made a slot in the nut for the cotter pin. That's the best that I REMEMBER. He Called Bob TODAY AND TOLD HIM EVERYTHING THAT HE DID. I hope this helps.
            Last edited by Anne F. Goodman; 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM. Reason: added information
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Working...
            X