Thread: 1950 Champion Brakes

Champion Member

1950 Champion Brakes

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I don't remember the answer! I want to convert my 50 champ's brakes to a set of 55 v-8 brakes. It seems like I have read that the rear conversion can be done by changing the axel shafts with those from a 51 champ and then it's a boltup proceedure. I have a 51 champ rear end of the appropriate ratio but it would have to be rebuilt. In front what is the best way to go? Adapt later model spindles or changeout the entire spindle/kingpin assemblies? What parts are needed for this? Thanks for the help. Bob

You are correct about the rear axle, it may be a bolt up procedure, but be aware that the wheels may have different bolt circles/number of bolts.

The front end, however is a totally different ball game. You may have to swap the entire front cross member. Wait for better advice on this.
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan....back on the road, again....
    '05 Subaru Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

President Member
    Contact Anne F Goodman. It seem to me, they put disc brake on the front of their car. I think it was their 1949 or 1950 champion.

Champion Member
    Thanks for the help. I'll check with Anne and see what I can find out. Bob

In '50 they changed to a slightly larger spindle on the Champions, so you may be able to install the later drums and backing plates on it , but I can't say for sure. It may also be possible to use the later spindles on your existing suspension. The rear end shouldn't be too big of a deal.
    Barry'd in Studes

President Member Anne F. Goodman's Avatar
    Email Sent.
    I have lark brakes on the Champion. David took the old backing plates off and clamped the new ones centering them on the axles. He then used spray paint to paint the mounting bolt holes so he could drill them. He re-drilled the axles and attached the backing plates. The only main problem was the castle nut was too thick. he made a slot in the nut for the cotter pin. That's the best that I REMEMBER. He Called Bob TODAY AND TOLD HIM EVERYTHING THAT HE DID. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Anne F. Goodman; 07-13-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added information
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca