Thread: anyone have Gravely model I pics?

President Member

anyone have Gravely model I pics?

Anyone have any pics of a Gravely model I tractor? There is one For Sale locally that I may go look at tommorrow and would like to know what I am looking at and for. It is suppossedly restored. What are they worth in nice shape? Thanks, Steve

Are you sure it isn't a Model L? I never heard of a Model I. Model Ls were made for a number of years including the period when Studebaker owned Gravely. Value varies a lot, mainly on condition. An earlier L, restored, might go $1,000 - $1,500. The Ls used a cast iron single cylinder engine they made themselves. My 1962 Model L has a full flow oil filter and pressure oiling. This was when most small engines were splash oilers. There are a lot active Gravely clubs and forums. Google Gravely and you will find a LOT of info. Here is a Youtube video that shows a L and explains quite a bit about them.
    There were supposed to be something like 70 different attachments made for Gravel Ls.d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roKzW1xZB2Q

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53k View Post
    Are you sure it isn't a Model L? I never heard of a Model I. Model Ls were made for a number of years including the period when Studebaker owned Gravely. Value varies a lot, mainly on condition. An earlier L, restored, might go $1,000 - $1,500. The Ls used a cast iron single cylinder engine they made themselves. My 1962 Model L has a full flow oil filter and pressure oiling. This was when most small engines were splash oilers. There are a lot active Gravely clubs and forums. Google Gravely and you will find a LOT of info. Here is a Youtube video that shows a L and explains quite a bit about them.
    There were supposed to be something like 70 different attachments made for Gravel Ls.d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roKzW1xZB2Q

Its listed as a model I. I guess it could be a typo. The ad says it has Studebaker tags on it. Steve

Steve, be sure to bring us a picture
    Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Ephesians 6:10-17

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Its listed as a model I. I guess it could be a typo. The ad says it has Studebaker tags on it. Steve
    I'm certain that it is an L. That would put it anywhere between 1960 and 197? (I have a 1977 Gravely brochure that still says Division of Studebaker). When Studebaker moved Gravely to Clemmons, NC (to break the Dunbar, WV union), they made Gravely discontinue the original Gravely engine. I believe the Model Ls used Kohlers (some four-wheel tractors were forced to use Onans which Studebaker also owned). Check the Gravely Wikipedia page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravely_Tractor, for a reasonably good history of the tractor and the company.
    I happened to be in the Charleston (WV) area when the Gravely Club had their first annual Mow-In at Dunbar. It was a lot like a Studebaker Zone Meet- toured the old plant, everyone talking Gravelys, showing their unique attachments, etc.

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

President Member
    Thanks, It is a model "L". Sorry, I forgot what year he said and I dont have my notes in front of me. The owner is an over the road trucker and wont be home until this weekend. His wife is there but busy with her injured mother who also has Alzheimer's so he asked that we meet up Sat rather than interupt her. I will get pics when I go and expect to buy it or at least make an offer on it. He indicated it was a nice rig. More when I know, Steve

Thanks, It is a model "L". Sorry, I forgot what year he said and I dont have my notes in front of me. The owner is an over the road trucker and wont be home until this weekend. His wife is there but busy with her injured mother who also has Alzheimer's so he asked that we meet up Sat rather than interupt her. I will get pics when I go and expect to buy it or at least make an offer on it. He indicated it was a nice rig. More when I know, Steve
    The more accessories the better. The old Ls are crude, but bulletproof. Starters are about the size of an automotive starter and they are chain drive- no bendix. The starter control is a foot switch that looks like a dimmer switch. Crankcase and transmission share the same oil. I think they hold something like three and a half quarts. Only real problem area is the magneto. If they aren't used a lot the points in the mag seem to get corroded and won't give you a spark- not a serious problem, but timing them on re-installation is kind of tricky. All Gravelys are totally gear driven- only belts are those turning the blades on the mowers. The mower drive units are PTO driven. Reprint manuals and parts catalogs are available as are parts. Good source- http://www.gravelyparts.com/
    I bought my '62 Model L about 20 years ago- good running condition, poor cosmetics, worn out tires, included a 50" mower, a 30" brush hog/mower, an after market sulky (thigh killer or worse), and a home made dozer blade. Paid $450.
    Last edited by 53k; 06-29-2010 at 04:01 PM.

President Member

pictures of the Gravely for sale

Got a few pics to share. Talked to the man about adding the bush hog/mower attachment and the tiller attachment to the original advertised Gravely with cultivator attachment. He also has a scrape blade, dump bed, wheel barrow and a sulky that could be bought as well.
    Here is a link to video of it running (in low)

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=DSCF7853.mp4
    Attached Images Attached Images

President Member
    Tracy posted the pics up for me while I was busy today. I have a couple of questions, 1) Besides being the wrong color does this one seem original? 2) The owner and a Gravely website he showed me say it is a 1952 model but the tag says Studebaker-Packard Corp which I wouldnt think could be before 54 at the earliest. Any idea what the correct year model is or am I (once again) wrong and it is a 52? 3) And the most important, What is this rig worth as it sits with the cultivator, tiller, and mower/bushhog attachment. It also has the original solid rubber tire and trans? assembly with it that seem in good shape but have sat outdoors but covered for years. Besides trying to run over me it seemd to run good, held good oil pressure and took off when I engaged the gearbox. I will add a pic of the underhood area. The red tractor is his and he has another one he will be bringing home soon. The sulky ( I think thats what he called the seat thingy) and wagon are not included in our deal but I will ask about them and the scrape blade when I go back. Thanks, Steve

Wolfie, we just sold our two like the #5 picture above, one ran great, never tried to start the other one. Had a mower deck, a monster round saw attachment, a device of blades like in the 1st set of pics, a rototiller type thing, a thing that looked to me like a post hole digger and a couple other things. Paul the guy that bought them has several, and he gave me $300.00 for my two. You can get the manual on line, and there is a big group of loyal followers for these things. Mine did NOT have Studebaker on the I D tags, but were cool anyhow. The one that ran had a kit on it with an Autolite starter and a 12 volt battery and a push button switch that made it electric start. The other one had not been converted. Oh, mine were two speeds and reverse- - neat machines. John

Tracy posted the pics up for me while I was busy today. I have a couple of questions, 1) Besides being the wrong color does this one seem original? 2) The owner and a Gravely website he showed me say it is a 1952 model but the tag says Studebaker-Packard Corp which I wouldnt think could be before 54 at the earliest. Any idea what the correct year model is or am I (once again) wrong and it is a 52? 3) And the most important, What is this rig worth as it sits with the cultivator, tiller, and mower/bushhog attachment. It also has the original solid rubber tire and trans? assembly with it that seem in good shape but have sat outdoors but covered for years. Besides trying to run over me it seemd to run good, held good oil pressure and took off when I engaged the gearbox. I will add a pic of the underhood area. The red tractor is his and he has another one he will be bringing home soon. The sulky ( I think thats what he called the seat thingy) and wagon are not included in our deal but I will ask about them and the scrape blade when I go back. Thanks, Steve
    That serial number has to be in the '60s. My '62 Model L is serial number M82361 so the one you are looking at is definitely earlier. Call Mr. Richards (see website in my earlier post for his phone number). He can tell by your serial number what year it is. Since he is a major dealer he might be willing to suggest what it should be worth. The blue is definitely wrong. They were all red-orange or red-orange and white on the later ones. Otherwise it looks pretty real. That rotary attachment in one thumbnail is a rotary plow. They can move some dirt and they can be used to dig holes for planting trees. It should have a deflector on it, but many took them off or they broke off and weren't replaced.

Not a Gravely, but this is what I have.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975