Studebaker trucks, how BIG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    ....And it will still fit inside my garage! That's the first I've heard of Hendrickson supplying any components and modifying a Studebaker truck to accomodate them. Hendrickson is still a major truck component supplier in the trucking industry.

Craig

Well there is obviously a gap in your big truck education! You were probably also unaware of this sales flier issued by Hedrickson?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Well there is obviously a gap in your big truck education! You were probably also unaware of this sales flier issued by Hedrickson?
      You're RIGHT!! I havn't seen that one before!

However, I have seen the Detriot Diesel Service Letter to their authorized service agents announcing that Studebaker was starting to install 4-53's in their trucks.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

[creak of saddle leather]
        Now that right there
        [spits--ting!]

is Truck Drivin'.

Avanti R3672 "R-two-and-a-half"
        1953 M47 6X6 "two-and-a-half tons don't bend the first spring leaf"

Comment

This is all very interesting to me as I've driven tandem axle gravel trucks since I was 17 years old, all of which had Hendrickson twin-screw walking beam rearends (begining with a 1969 Ford F-8000 with rubber puck suspension and a 5 plus a 4 speed transmissions). When I see these pictures of tandem axel Studebakers, they are begging for a 14 or 15 foot long gravel box. However with the choice of engines that Studebaker had, I wouldnt want to drive one with a full load of gravel. Simply not enough power. Did anybody offer engine upgrades for Studebaker trucks? An 855 cubic inch Cummins would have been a very nice upgrade!
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Wow, ask a question and you get a "few" answers! This thread may continue but thanks to all for my education.

Regards,
            John Brayton
            John Brayton

Comment

Originally posted by John Brayton View Post
              Wow, ask a question and you get a "few" answers! This thread may continue but thanks to all for my education.

Regards,
              John Brayton

Wanna see more big trucks??
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Yall are not going to believe this, but with that Hendrickson ad, if I take off my glasses, tandem axle Studebaker beasts starts to resemble the 80's short haul Macks I used to see in my youth. .
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Excellent!

Thanks Richard!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Wow! With this tread I have to wonder if my tuck was one of the 6 dump trucks that were ordered by Radabaugh Trucks in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The production order I got from the museum gives Fort Wayne as it's destination.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My dump truck was from a gravel co some where around Akron, Oh. Production order put it in storage lot. Original built serial number ' 505 for '63. Serial number changed to 769 and sold as a '64.

Comment

And Guys ( & Gals) here is my US6 still earning it's keep after 76 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1964[1].jpg
Views:	245
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1920744 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1967.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1920745
                        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Talk about necroposting…

I previously owned the ‘58 3E40 tandem that George Orphanidys now has. It was owned by Chuck Naugle before he went to Arizona and then owned by Steve Blake in Texas. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Comment

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a C-Cab Diesel maybe a 61 Transtar with the Detroit.....

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
                              I would absolutely love to get my hands on a C-Cab Diesel maybe a 61 Transtar with the Detroit.....
                              They will be hard to find, as all got 1962 serial numbers. From the truck history on the main SDC site:

"Sherwood Egbert took over as the new president of the Studebaker-Packard Corporation on February 1, 1961, and very quickly tried to inject new life into the truck division. Among his initiatives was the introduction of a new line of diesel trucks in May 1961. Although initially scheduled to be 6E-series trucks, they ultimately were given 1962-model 7E serial numbers.

"As usual, 1960-61 production included several oddballs and models not in the catalog. Most notable were a single 1962-model 1½-ton 7E35 and 38 2-ton 7E45 diesels, built in June 1961. These 39 7E-series trucks were included in the 6E-series production totals."

BTW, the diesel trucks were not called Transtar -- just Diesel.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                                And Guys ( & Gals) here is my US6 still earning it's keep after 76 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1964[1].jpg
Views:	245
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1920744 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1967.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1920745
                                Just guessing but I suspect that you don't need to add weight to improve traction for plowing with that truck. Quite a rig.

​​​​​​​Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X