Thread: Is there a floor shifter kit for converting a column shift 3 speed w/ OD?

Is there a floor shifter kit for converting a column shift 3 speed w/ OD?

I recently acquired a 1965 Ford F100 with 3 speed on steering column with OD (T handle under dash). I believe Ford used a Borg Warner T85-N transmission. I think some Studebakers were also equipped with varient of the T85. Can you convert a 3 speed on the column to a floor shift? Anyone do this in a Ford or Studebaker and if so what brand / model floor shift did you use and where did you order or purchase one?

Thanks,

John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Hurst makes a 3-speed shifter kit for trucks just for a column to floor conversion. They call it their Indy Shifter. Check out Summit Racing for it. The part number is HUU-5010016 and retails for $199.95. There may be other brands as well for the same thing.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    The problem is that new kits might not be for 3 speeds with OD. The kits that fit Studebakers are a case in point - the Hurst kits will not clear the solenoid without extensive modification. You may have to keep on eye out on Ebay or a site like the H.A.M.B. to find a vintage kit for your OD unit. Make sure the Hurst site lists your specific OD tranny and not just the 3 speed.

I finally found a vintage kit for my Stude OD tranny off of Ebay and it fit perfectly - much better than my earlier attempts to make a non-OD kit work.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

I just bought a Jeep top plate/shifter/forks to convert a T-86. Bolts right on with just a little modification. Wonder if it's the same with the T-85?
    Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Ephesians 6:10-17

The floor conversion in my Champ is one that came from JC Whitney. I don't know if they still have such things or not. Mine was installed many, many years ago.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Friend planned on converting to top shifter on his T96, bought the kit and then went with an automatic transmission. Don't know if the kits are the same but, if so, you can probably have it for cheap. Identify the application and, if it works, I can put you in touch with him.

President Member
    Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Quote Originally Posted by bams50 View Post
    I just bought a Jeep top plate/shifter/forks to convert a T-86. Bolts right on with just a little modification. Wonder if it's the same with the T-85?
    Just looked at Bob Johnstone's site (amazing amount of Stude info as always) and saw Jack Vines' T-85 conversion- great info. Take a look:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../sdc35834.html

Interesting note: The page you get is in the style/form of the old forum. A trip down memory lane

I see there are two ways to skin this cat: One, figure out a shifter/bracket installation (as in the above link), or Two, put in a top shifter. I recently bought a Jeep top-load shifter to convert a T-86, and with some slight modifications told to me by Ted Harbit (Thanks Ted) converts to a top-loader, even with reverse lockout for the O/D. While I'm not sure if the same conversion would hold true for the T-85, it looks pretty similar.
    Last edited by bams50; 06-13-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Golden Hawk Member
    The T85 has the access hole/cover on the side, rather than on the top. So in other words, there's no place to put a top shifter into.

Matthew Burnette

Ah, I got confused looking at two different articles on Bob's site. Thanks for clarifying Matt!
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

What exactly was the 3 speed w/overdrive floor shifter that was up for auction at Glendale, then? It was new or NOS and with all the bits, and from Australia. Perhaps one of the Ozzie member can throw some light on it.
    Jim Bartley Box 7611 RR1 Kensington PEI C0B1M0
    Atlantic Canada Club SDC
    64 Commander "Special" Daytona interior 64SC-F4 2082 #1981 170 auto-project
    63 Daytona Wagonaire 63V-P8 34470 #2711 259 O/D-daily Stude driver
    57 Champion Deluxe 57G-W4 G1390844 #4427 185 auto-driver
    Kaiser, & Boler--other stuff

T85/OD? now you really are giving me truck envy. You sure you don't want to sell?

Hmmm.... I wonder if the fuel-injected 300 in my current truck would bolt up? that'd be sweet, a '65 with a FI 300/T-85/OD... The FI engine already comes with split manifolds, so true duals would be easy...

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Champion Member
    Bob, was wondering if you could pass on the mods you did for the t-90 to fit your t 86e-1a we are building a '51 bullet nose for our dad and he want to keep the orignal running gear 232 ci and the 3 speed with overdrive any help would be appreciated
    thanks Roy Spaulding

Quote Originally Posted by 34chevy View Post
    Bob, was wondering if you could pass on the mods you did for the t-90 to fit your t 86e-1a we are building a '51 bullet nose for our dad and he want to keep the orignal running gear 232 ci and the 3 speed with overdrive any help would be appreciated
    thanks Roy Spaulding
    Hi Roy, did you mean me?

To use the T-90 shifter on a T-86, it's a pretty simple affair. You have to elongate the two rear holes about 3/16" to fit the T-86 case. Also need to cut the low/reverse shift fork of and move it back 3/16". Works great!

If you have O/D you need to weld a little plate on it so when shifting into reverse it will work normally. Without this plate you have to pull the O/D handle out every time you want to back up.

Thanks to the great Ted Harbit for the info on this mod
    Proud NON-CASO I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln GOD BLESS AMERICAEphesians 6:10-17Romans 15:13Deuteronomy 31:6Proverbs 28:1 Illegitimi non carborundum

Silver Hawk Member
    T85/OD? now you really are giving me truck envy. You sure you don't want to sell? Hmmm.... I wonder if the fuel-injected 300 in my current truck would bolt up? that'd be sweet, a '65 with a FI 300/T-85/OD... The FI engine already comes with split manifolds, so true duals would be easy...nate
    Too bad Nate's MIA as well as on the other side of the country. I've got a complete Ford F100 T85 overdrive with control cable and driveshaft. They're quite a bit different than the Stude truck unit - long tailshaft, slip yoke, different solenoid placement, different gear ratios.

jack vines
    PackardV8