Thread: What's this noise,after installing new brake drums?

President Member

What's this noise,after installing new brake drums?

Just put new rear brake drums on my 97 Toyota Corolla,(drums only).shoes still have life in them,and there was no noise before I installed new drums.when applying brakes I get a clunking/nocking sound from the right rear,this noise is only in forward nothing in reverse.I put a little bearing grease on contact points,(shoes to backing plate and such) and carefully sprayed a little DW40 around the star adjuster to shoes,these lubes are all I had kicking around.and still the noise is there,I see no sign of drum rubbing backing plate,or edge of shoes. SO what am I not seeing or checking for?this is driving me MAD!!!

Thanks for any education here!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member
    Why did you need to put new drums on the car? Curious. I don't know the mileage, but these cars rarely exhibit wear to the rear brakes.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    I've had it a couple of times at work where I installed new drums and they made a thumping sound like that.
    I had to turn them on the brake lathe since they were warped(or bellmouthed) .
    Maybe it didn't help that the last pair were made in China, improper storage or handling might make them get that way.
    Maybe you can exchange that drum at the place you got it from.
    John V.
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 06-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.

President Member
    That jogs my memory about a thread on here a while back. Shoes track in a slighly spiral pattern machined into the drum surface (inadvertantly) by the turning process. Shoes move in (or out) to their limits, then clunk back to neutral, then start again.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kurtruk View Post
    That jogs my memory about a thread on here a while back. Shoes track in a slighly spiral pattern machined into the drum surface (inadvertantly) by the turning process. Shoes move in (or out) to their limits, then clunk back to neutral, then start again.
    That was my first thought as well.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

President Member
    KURTRUK, I have to assume you were right about the drums being spiral.I even swapped drums side to side and it still made noise(only on right side though) so maybe the left side hardware is strong enough to hold shoes regardless? anyways that was Sunday I installed drums,and just this afternoon the noise went away.there's a first time for everything and if there's a next time I'll know.

Thanks for your help, Joe.
    Joseph R. Zeiger