Avanti build sheet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti build sheet.

Just got my buildsheet from Avantilady on Ebay. Just a small buildsheet with usual items. The ID # is 63R-1121. The car was originally shipped to Hamilton Ontario. By TA Burnett in care of Maris. Burnett is probably the shipper, but why Canada? The car I bought was in Oklahoma. Pretty long strech in between. But now I have the original motor # and the body tag number.

There are a LOT of reasons why it could have gone to Hamilton, ONT

#1 Would be a Ontario area buyer.
    #2 Would be; it was sent to the Studebaker of Canada Limited, Factory to be a Demo, executive car, car show car etc.
    There would have been VERY few Avantis in Canada by the early build date that must be on this Production Order, as that is a very early Serial Number. That opens lots of possibilities for Displays etc. by the Factory.

#3 It could have gone there to be in Inventory to ship to a Canadian Dealer.

Sometime in the last 47 years, it must have been sold to a U.S. owner.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might want to contact the SNM and get a copy of the Shipper. There is quite often information regarding special instructions that will not be found on the Production Order.
      R2Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
        You might want to contact the SNM and get a copy of the Shipper. There is quite often information regarding special instructions that will not be found on the Production Order.
        Kinda makes me feel guilty that I didn't place this through the SNM in the first place.
        Malcom

Comment

Back in the '70s, I spoke to a person here in Kingston, Ontario that had a R1 Avanti that he had purchased in '63. He apparently had gone in to the Hamilton dealer to buy a GT Hawk, but was persuaded by the dealer to buy an Avanti, according to him, the first Avanti to come into Canada. This individual, a professor at Queen's University at that time, moved to California, I believe, some time in the 90's, and took the car with him. Prior to that I had provided him with information detailing what would be required to add air conditioning. I never heard back from him. The car was turquoise with possibly an elk interior. When I saw it, it had been repainted with a poor facsimile of the original color. The car was driven hard, according to the Studebaker service mechanic that handled the maintenance. I don't think I have the serial no. of that car recorded, and the service mechanic, if alive, would be very elderly now. I suspect that this is the car that you have.

Comment

Hi WCP,
            This Avanti was originally Gold with fawn interior. And it has never had AC, wish it did. But the driven hard would be a correct statement.
            Malcom

Comment

It may still be the same car. When I first saw it in the mid '70s, it was turquoise but that may have been a repaint. Gold with the fawn/elk combination was very popular in '63 but didn't weather well. My current R2 Avanti, R1236, was the Hamilton dealers car before it was sold '65, I think. It was also gold with the fawn/elk interior. Some time in the late '80s or early '90s, I supplied a used GT Hawk gauge, temp. I think, to the service mechanic to replace a failed one for that car. However, that may have been replaced with the correct one in recent years. I doubt that the owner ever proceeded with the air installation. I recall the mechanic telling me that the owner didn't like to part with his money.

I believe that car was a 4 speed, or at least manual, if my memory is correct. Mine was an automatic, but now a 5 speed manual.
              Last edited by WCP; 05-30-2010, 09:34 AM. Reason: to add an additional thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Samjoe View Post
                >>>The car was originally shipped to Hamilton Ontario. By TA Burnett in care of Maris. Burnett is probably the shipper, but why Canada?<<<
                FWIW dept:

TA = Truck-away (vs. Drive-away vs. Rail)
                Burnett = George F. Burnett Co, Inc. Auto Transporters
                20450 W. Ireland Rd.
                South Bend, IN

Comment

Working...
                X