No announcement yet.

About Radial tyres on OEM rims...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P 205- 75R 15 is as large as you would want to go, unless you have wider wheels. P 195 75R 15 would be better.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Great post Gord. I am in the middle of switching rims right now on my 60 Lark Convertible.
      Do you have a recommendation for a Vintage Tire supplier up here in Canada? I need wide whites.
      Thanks
      Rob
      1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
      1964 Daytona *
      1956 Stude PU *
      1951 Stude PU *
      1963 Lark *
      1960 Lark Regal 4 door *
      *= previously owned.

Comment

Been running steel belted radials on my 63 Regal for over 20 years on original rims/wheels. No problems.
        Some tire companies (ie Coker for one) try to convince you to buy new wheels and tires. Much more profit
        that way...

Comment

the fat radials do look ugly bulging out of the skinny Stude rim...

Comment

Crown Vic Cop Car wheels with 225-60-16" tire have very, very minor rubbing issues on my '64 Daytona. I drive the car about 200 miles a year, no more than 10 miles from home. Pick Your Part Monday Madness Sale $7 each for a steel rim and tire fits the need. You just have to spend some time hunting for a decent set of four. For me it is a hobby, not drudgey. And, surely the Cop Car wheels can take whatever one throws at them (just use the Ford lug nuts).

Anyway, I realize that is not for everyone but sometimes I'm baffled when a car will sit because the party doesn't have the funds for a mega hundred dollar purchase when there are other practical alternatives within their budget.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have radials on both my truck and my sedan with original wheels and have had no trouble. I am pretty sure both have been sporting radials for quite a few years. I just had new tires put on the sedan and asked the tire shop to inspect the rims for cracks or other defects. All the rims were fine.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Threads this old are always so much fun....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweet Pea @ '09 Mini Meet.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1719519
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  Threads this old are always so much fun....
                  That's because they are still SO enTIREly relevant!

Craig

Comment

In the early 70's Ford had a big problem with OE Firestone 500 tires failing. Kelsey-Hayes engineers questioned whether they could be drawn into the issue as Ford's wheel supplier. They ran a few tests with strain gauged wheels comparing the wheel stress and deflection between bias ply tires and radial tires. They were alarmed at the results. Based on these results, a specification and test protocol was formulated in conjunction with SAE establishing an industry standard. Material deflection can cause failure. There is a load deflection fatigue curve for materials. Under a critical point, the item lasts forever. Deflected beyond the critical point, there is a finite life span. With every revolution a wheel flexes. Not every revolution is a maximum event. Our original wheels were designed with enough safety margin that failure would never occur. Now ad in the increased loads and deflections of a radial tire and that safety margin is gone. Failure may occur. I don't think any of our cars get the use of a daily driver. For that reason most will not experience problems because the cycle count is low. Using radial approved wheels is like wearing a seat belt. It is only needed when a problem happens. It can happen. Hopefully no one will get hurt when it does.
                    I built a 5 X 8 utility trailer in 1982. I used a piece of the left over 2 X 2 X .187 square tubing for the tongue. It cracked and broke about two years ago. Calculating the load on a cantilevered beam suggested that it was destined to fail. After all these years it finally experienced enough cycles at load to cause a failure. I wish I would have known that when I built it. It now has a 2 X 4 X .250 tongue that will last forever. Physics applies to everyone equally regardless if you believe it or not.
                    james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                      Physics applies to everyone equally regardless if you believe it or not.
                      Agreed! No one is exempt!!

Craig

Comment

I ran 205/75 radials on Studes for many years and many miles, then finally crossed over to 6" wide, modern wheels about 10-12 years ago. The wider wheels just look right with the 205s. The OEM wheels cause the tires to appear balloonish. I did not really realize that, till I switched over. The tires also flex much less with modern wheels, and the Studes feel a little firmer on curves and sweepers. The hub caps, "walk" on both of them, but not as badly on the modern wheels. Steel valve stems take care of that. I'd never go back to OEM wheels on a Stude.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I ran 205/75 radials on Studes for many years and many miles, then finally crossed over to 6" wide, modern wheels about 10-12 years ago. The wider wheels just look right with the 205s. The OEM wheels cause the tires to appear balloonish. I did not really realize that, till I switched over. The tires also flex much less with modern wheels, and the Studes feel a little firmer on curves and sweepers. The hub caps, "walk" on both of them, but not as badly on the modern wheels. Steel valve stems take care of that. I'd never go back to OEM wheels on a Stude.
                          Agreed, Joe! Same as my experience with my 56J and '62 GT, Hawk! When I bought my GT it had 205s and Stude rims but the tires looked odd. It looked and handled better with 6-1/2" wide Ford rims. The metal valve stems work great too, although I think the ones from NAPA may be chrome plated brass. (There are two different size seals with each one.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1719523
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                            In the early 70's Ford had a big problem with OE Firestone 500 tires failing. Kelsey-Hayes engineers questioned whether they could be drawn into the issue as Ford's wheel supplier. They ran a few tests with strain gauged wheels comparing the wheel stress and deflection between bias ply tires and radial tires. They were alarmed at the results. Based on these results, a specification and test protocol was formulated in conjunction with SAE establishing an industry standard. Material deflection can cause failure. There is a load deflection fatigue curve for materials. Under a critical point, the item lasts forever. Deflected beyond the critical point, there is a finite life span. With every revolution a wheel flexes. Not every revolution is a maximum event. Our original wheels were designed with enough safety margin that failure would never occur. Now ad in the increased loads and deflections of a radial tire and that safety margin is gone. Failure may occur. I don't think any of our cars get the use of a daily driver. For that reason most will not experience problems because the cycle count is low. Using radial approved wheels is like wearing a seat belt. It is only needed when a problem happens. It can happen. Hopefully no one will get hurt when it does.
                            I built a 5 X 8 utility trailer in 1982. I used a piece of the left over 2 X 2 X .187 square tubing for the tongue. It cracked and broke about two years ago. Calculating the load on a cantilevered beam suggested that it was destined to fail. After all these years it finally experienced enough cycles at load to cause a failure. I wish I would have known that when I built it. It now has a 2 X 4 X .250 tongue that will last forever. Physics applies to everyone equally regardless if you believe it or not.
                            I fully agree that: Physics applies to everyone equally regardless if you believe it or not. Or, as Ayn Rand put it: “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

I am not doubting that Kelsey Hays did some studies. Surely they have been published. Can you point me in the right direction? I have radial tires on my old Firestone Split rims on my 2R16A. The metal in those wheels is so thick, I can't imaging there being an issue. Would just like to see the data; like what gauge metal is not enough, what gauge metal is enough?

Comment

I have radial tires on my old Firestone Split rims on my 2R16A. The metal in those wheels is so thick, I can't imaging there being an issue.
                              Yes, truck wheels are different. FWIW, I've been running Michelin 215/85-16" radials on my E12 for thirty-seven years now with zero problems.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

I've been running Michelin radials since 1968 on my GT Hawk on aftermarket wider (7-8" depending on offset) wheels with zero problems, just better handling, safety and less body squeaks.
                                Good luck on which route you choose to take.
                                YoYoMan, I used to deal with:
                                [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]George Moir Antique Auto Parts Ltd

[/COLOR]
                                Website
                                Directions

4.37 Google reviews

[COLOR=#878787 !important]Auto parts store in Alberta[/COLOR]

Address: 1 Boulder Blvd, Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1V6, Canada

Hours: [COLOR=#212121 !important]Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Wed[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#212121 !important]

[/COLOR]

Phone: +1 780-963-7334

Province: Alberta

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X