No announcement yet.

STUDEBAKER/NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While looking through a copy of the April 1953 Speed Age magazine, I found this. I don't know if this was the 1953 year or 1952, it doesn't say, but it doesn't look good. Does anyone know how Studebaker did overall during this time? I assume it is 1953, because Dodge didn't have a V8 in 52, and did well in 53.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

While looking through a copy of the April 1953 Speed Age magazine, I found this. I don't know if this was the 1953 year or 1952, it doesn't say, but it doesn't look good. Does anyone know how Studebaker did overall during this time? I assume it is 1953, because Dodge didn't have a V8 in 52, and did well in 53.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Was there any racing Avanti's entered in the TRANS- AM racing circuit during the glory years of 1968-1974 ? We use to hang out in Watkins Glen and root for the Group 44 teams ( Bob Tullis Jags and Tr's ) and Mark Donohue/George Fullmer and their Javelins. Never saw any Avanti's or Hawks or Larks. A full race Trans Am Avanti R2 or GT Hawk would be a great collector vehicle if one ever existed in full racing colors.

Comment

Was there any racing Avanti's entered in the TRANS- AM racing circuit during the glory years of 1968-1974 ? We use to hang out in Watkins Glen and root for the Group 44 teams ( Bob Tullis Jags and Tr's ) and Mark Donohue/George Fullmer and their Javelins. Never saw any Avanti's or Hawks or Larks. A full race Trans Am Avanti R2 or GT Hawk would be a great collector vehicle if one ever existed in full racing colors.

Comment

quote:[i] Never saw any Avanti's or Hawks or Larks. A full race Trans Am Avanti R2 or GT Hawk would be a great collector vehicle if one ever existed in full racing colors.
            On the Studebaker Racing site I found a photo of a 56J car #71 .

Wish I had another 56J and lots of money, cause I would love to replicate that car.

BG

Comment

quote:[i] Never saw any Avanti's or Hawks or Larks. A full race Trans Am Avanti R2 or GT Hawk would be a great collector vehicle if one ever existed in full racing colors.
              On the Studebaker Racing site I found a photo of a 56J car #71 .

Wish I had another 56J and lots of money, cause I would love to replicate that car.

BG

Comment

In th early '60's I recall reading in some car Mag. about someone racing Larks with "export suspension" . ISTR that they were talking about Sebring but I could disremember after 45 years. I still recall a quote that being passed by a Lark was like being passed by a wall of steel.

Don Wilson
                53 Commander Hardtop
                64 Champ 1/2 ton
                Centralia, WA
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

In th early '60's I recall reading in some car Mag. about someone racing Larks with "export suspension" . ISTR that they were talking about Sebring but I could disremember after 45 years. I still recall a quote that being passed by a Lark was like being passed by a wall of steel.

Don Wilson
                  53 Commander Hardtop
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton
                  Centralia, WA
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

In the early 1960s Studebaker was the only manufacturer offering a V8 in a compact car. The Falcon, Valiant, Corvair, Jaguar and the rest were all six-cylinders. There were a couple of road-race prepared Larks which ran at Daytona and other NASCAR compact class road races. These were run on a combined infield road course and one turn of the high banked oval. Ford was so jealous they had Holman-Moody put a 260" Ford V8 in a Falcon to compete with the Larks. It worked so well the Falcon Sprint 260 was made a standard offering mid-63.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

In the early 1960s Studebaker was the only manufacturer offering a V8 in a compact car. The Falcon, Valiant, Corvair, Jaguar and the rest were all six-cylinders. There were a couple of road-race prepared Larks which ran at Daytona and other NASCAR compact class road races. These were run on a combined infield road course and one turn of the high banked oval. Ford was so jealous they had Holman-Moody put a 260" Ford V8 in a Falcon to compete with the Larks. It worked so well the Falcon Sprint 260 was made a standard offering mid-63.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

So, has anyone yet figured out, or found clear evidence that the [u]Studebaker Corporation</u> did in fact... "(in the 50's) have a performance division, [u]did they have an official sponsored car</u>,.......on [u]Studebaker backed</u> NASCAR teams?"
                        Or were these all private efforts, with nothing "official" above a dealership level of sponsorship?

Comment

So, has anyone yet figured out, or found clear evidence that the [u]Studebaker Corporation</u> did in fact... "(in the 50's) have a performance division, [u]did they have an official sponsored car</u>,.......on [u]Studebaker backed</u> NASCAR teams?"
                          Or were these all private efforts, with nothing "official" above a dealership level of sponsorship?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

According to a letter from Bob Coolidge, Studebaker did NOT have an official sponsored car, nor did they have any presense in any way that would be called by Today's standards a factory team. One gentleman whos' name escapes me did try to get the factory to sponsor him, he first used a 53 and then a 56J. The 56J had the number 71 painted on it, and in one photo of it, had the lower door trim on the doors and the wheel well molding.

BG

BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

According to a letter from Bob Coolidge, Studebaker did NOT have an official sponsored car, nor did they have any presense in any way that would be called by Today's standards a factory team. One gentleman whos' name escapes me did try to get the factory to sponsor him, he first used a 53 and then a 56J. The 56J had the number 71 painted on it, and in one photo of it, had the lower door trim on the doors and the wheel well molding.

BG

BG

Comment

Weldon Critcher has an Avanti, that, I beleive either raced at Daytona or was built to do so. I think it is a road race car. It needs restoration at the present time, but the last time I saw it it ran. It has flared fenders, a competition sytle gas filler in the middle of the trunk area and such. When he got it it had a
                                six two barrel intake manifold on it. I am not sure which R version the engine is.
                                Joe Roberts

Posted - 03/28/2007 : 7:57:02 PM
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Roberts
                                '61 R1 Champ
                                '65 Cruiser
                                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                                X