This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STARTER SWITCH

I need advise on replacing my starter switch on a 1950 studebaker. I want to put a switch on the dash in addition to the floor starter switch. Any advise? Parts available, where to buy, special information. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by REVDRDICK

I need advise on replacing my starter switch on a 1950 studebaker. I want to put a switch on the dash in addition to the floor starter switch. Any advise? Parts available, where to buy, special information. Thanks.
    I'm a little confused (as usual ). Do you want to install a push button on the dash that has to be pushed IN ADDITION TO pushing the floor switch in order to activate the starter (kind of an "anti theft" device)? Or do you want to have a push button on the dash so that EITHER the floor button OR the new dash button can be pushed to activate the starter? OR do you want to replace a defective floor starter switch AND a defective key operated ignition switch?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I advise you don't drill a hole in the dash.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

My floor switch quit working and I already have a hole (from the factory apparently) on the dash. I would like to replace both and have both functional. Thanks.
        quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by REVDRDICK

I'm a little confused (as usual ). Do you want to install a push button on the dash that has to be pushed IN ADDITION TO pushing the floor switch in order to activate the starter (kind of an "anti theft" device)? Or do you want to have a push button on the dash so that EITHER the floor button OR the new dash button can be pushed to activate the starter? OR do you want to replace a defective floor starter switch AND a defective key operated ignition switch?

Comment

You could do both. The existing floor switch simply provides a ground to the starter solenoid. You could have the switch under the clutch pedal AND one on the dash and wire it so that either one would complete the circuit if actuated.
          Here's what's cool too![8D] 1950 being the first year of an available automatic transmission, cars so equipped had a T-handle Start Switch that mounted along the lower edge of the dash. It says "START" right on it!. I've seen these switches from time to time on ebay and at Stude swap meets. THAT would be the cool way to go for what you're wanting to do! Switch part # is 527663 Knob is 527665

Here's the switch: Click on the link and then type in 527663 in the box where the cursor is - then hit "search".

The knob shows "not available" but if you call SASCO, it might well BE available and if they don't have it check with the other Stude vendors. I'm sure someone will have a new or good used one.

BTW, you can make them work independently OR you could wire them in series for a 1950s era auto theft protection system![:0][^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X