This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward Driveshaft Removal

I need to remove the front driveshaft on my 1963 Champ pickup with Dodge box. Before I get down on the ground and check it out (which is tough to do!) I am wondering if the drive shaft just pulls out or if it is locked into place. Can't tell on parts catalog. Any ideas?

Thanks

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

If it is a one piece driveshaft, the slip yoke should just slide out the back of the transmission.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

You'll have to drop it out of the center bearing, then you can slip it out of the tranny. If your converting to a 200r4 or 700r4, you probably have to shorten it a bit(at a shop doing driveshaft work).

N8, the pickups use a two piece driveshaft when they have the original drivetrain. The larger trucks have the front drive shaft/u joint bolted to the output yoke(not slide in like cars).

Comment

Yes I'm converting to a 700R4 and do have to modify the driveshaft. So, its my understanding that I will have to drop the entire bearing assembly before pulling the front shaft. O.K. That means I will have to do my measurements before its removal.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Mike... suggest these steps:
          1.remove complete ds incl sw brg
          2.remove frontsection of ds from sw brg yoke
          3.install trans with output yoke
          4.install rear ds with sw brg mounted to bracket
          5.measure fromcenter of trans output yoke ujoint holes to center
          of ujoint holes on sw brg yoke.
          this will be measurement of front ds effective length.
          if u need any help give me a call.. good luck later

Comment

Jim;
            I suspect you have done this before once or twice[)]! I wish I could find my repair manual with a picture of the set-up! Since I'm missing my leg below the knee (hence the reason for the automatic), its hard to get down on the ground then under the truck. Would like to know what to do once I get down there so I can have everything together when I get there!!

Thanks again for the info!!

Comment

when u get ready i'll help u do remember me? albertsons... avanti?

Comment

Jim;
                Would it hurt your feelings if I told you I remember your Avanti (beautiful car!!) better than I do you?[)]

Thanks for the offer! We hope to "trial" fit the engine and transmission this Friday, assuming the transmission is ready by then. If you don't mind, e-mail me your phone number and I will give you a call when I get back home tomorrow:

mjeansonne@Sport.rr.com

Comment

Gee... not too very long ago there was a fellow in, I think Arizona, who had an automatic Champ for sale. Sweet truck it was too! Price was reasonable. Probably already gone.... Sorry, old age - bad memory...[:I] You might look in the general posts. I mean, why deal with the hassles when there already exists what you are looking for in the first place? Bon chance!

Lotsa Larks!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                  X