This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior finish

Does anyone have any tricks to duplicating the interior paint in a 1940 Commander? The dash and window trim have a kind of fake wood grain finish.

I have seen articles on woodgraining in the past; never paid much attention as it is not something I need. Anyway you should be able to find info on how to do that. It was quite common in the 40's and I am sure you could find "how-to" articles in restoration books.

53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    WA state
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

There are several companies around the country that can restore the woodgrain on interior dashes, trim, etc. Grain-it Technologies in Florida for one does the work and also sells kits for the DIY. I currently have all the interior pieces for my 1935 Dictator out to a fellow in Knoxville, TN to be restored. He was the most reasonable in price that I could find. Glenn Mayes email:Mayeswoodgrain@aol.com or phone: (423) 585-0555.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

I watch Foose wood grain a dash using a Acetylene torch. He sprayed a brown base coas, then used the soot from a rich torch setting to fog the base coat. he smeared the soot aroun with a sponge for agrain effect, then clear coated it.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
        X