X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! - 1954 Studebaker Commander Coupe

Hi everybody,

I am after some help identifying what the above vehicle looked like from factory (ie. chrome badges on the hood) and other details. We live in Australia and purchased our Studebaker while we were in the USA 18 months ago. We have just started buying parts so we can restore the coupe, any photographs would be great.

How do we identify the car - does anyone know the difference between a C or K model? We have the numbers 5H-C5 2355 on the ID plate on the firewall.

Any help would be gratefully received. This is our first Studebaker & we are fast becoming very attached to it!

Thanks,
    Kelly Robson
    (kellyandbrad@iprimus.com.au)

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

Hi everybody,

I am after some help identifying what the above vehicle looked like from factory (ie. chrome badges on the hood) and other details. We live in Australia and purchased our Studebaker while we were in the USA 18 months ago. We have just started buying parts so we can restore the coupe, any photographs would be great.

How do we identify the car - does anyone know the difference between a C or K model? We have the numbers 5H-C5 2355 on the ID plate on the firewall.

Any help would be gratefully received. This is our first Studebaker & we are fast becoming very attached to it!

Thanks,
    Kelly Robson
    (kellyandbrad@iprimus.com.au)

That ID plate is called the body number tag. It is a C5 body; 2355 is the sequence number for the manufacture of the body itself.

C5 is a coupe, I believe it is the Regal trim level. If I'm wrong on that one, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

That makes it a C model, BTW. A C model is a pillared coupe; the side windows in the rear seating area are hinged and swing out a bit. A K model is a pillarless coupe, AKA hardtop, and the side windows in the rear seating area ROLL down, and when all side windows are down, there is an unbroken expanse of open space between the windshield and the rear roof pillar.

Hope this helps a bit. Other posters here will be able to point to on-line pictures that can illustrate answers to other questions you may have. Can I suggest that you join SDC if you have not already done so? There is a link on the home page of this site to enable join on-line. You will also find a link to a vendors page, and I urge you to buy a shop manual and a parts manual applicable to your car. You should be able to determine from the manuals exactly what trim items are required, and it is useful to have the part numbers when ordering parts.

Welcome to the world of Studebaker,

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

gord writes: "there is an unbroken expanse of open space between the windshield and the rear roof pillar."

gord, what should I do if that expanse IS broken? Any suggested repair proceedure???[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

Hi everybody,

I am after some help identifying what the above vehicle looked like from factory (ie. chrome badges on the hood) and other details.

The book "Studebaker's Finest", by John Bridges has some good data and photos on both the '53 and '54 Starlights and Starliners. Studebaker International (and probably other vendors) has it for around $40US

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2778&SearchTerms=studebaker's,finest

A C5 is indeed Regal trim. Chromed pot metal around the windows, under the windshield, etc. Top of the line for the Starlight in '54.

What does the ID plate on the door post read?

V8 or 6...straight stick, OD, or automatic?

Right or left hand drive?

Congratulations on your purchase! You've picked a beautiful Studebaker for your first. [^]

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

This should help

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Daytona Convert.
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Thread hijack... anyone know of a good match in a rattle can for that tan interior color? I need to restore some quarter windows for my '55 and would like to paint the metal while they are apart. Or do I need to take them to a paint store and have them matched? (probably $$$)

thanks,

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Thread hijack... anyone know of a good match in a rattle can for that tan interior color? I need to restore some quarter windows for my '55 and would like to paint the metal while they are apart. Or do I need to take them to a paint store and have them matched? (probably $$$)

thanks,

nate
              Nate - As the second most active poster on these forums, I wouldn't think that you would do this. Please delete your post and start a new thread. It is probably difficult enough for someone from Australia to own a Studebaker without you hijacking his thread. Thanks.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Nate, I had some matched at my local auto paint place. It wasn't as cheap as a rattle can but it wasn't that bad either, for a minimum amount.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Kelly,
                  WELCOME!
                  The SDC is active and substantial down under. I urge you to join through this website. Check the links to vendors from our homepage as well as your local SDC chapter (as I said, very active). Let us know how we can help. You've got a car that will be the envy of every sheila and bloke.

And...oh yeah...pay no attention to Nate[8D]
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks very much for such quick responses to the post I put on yesterday. Really appreciate now knowing that we DO have the car that we thought (thanks Gordr, Dick & JDP).

I will order the book from Studebaker International & see where we can go from there.

Any information is great & that which we received has been most helpful.

Kelly

Comment

What side is the steering wheel on your Stude? I am curious because I am starting to search for one myself. I also may be moving to New Zealand (again, lived there for a few years) in about 5 years. If so, I will take my car with me. I am just curious if they made right hand drive Studes in 53 and 54?

Comment

I believe there were some made, but AFAIK there was no Australian assembly that far back, and none at all of C-K bodies, so you may have to look around a bit.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avalanche325

What side is the steering wheel on your Stude? I am curious because I am starting to search for one myself. I also may be moving to New Zealand (again, lived there for a few years) in about 5 years. If so, I will take my car with me. I am just curious if they made right hand drive Studes in 53 and 54?

Hi - the steering wheel is on the left hand side. The car is still all original except for the paint (still go the original radio/dash in it, as well as whitewall ply tyres - which we have to replace to get it roadworthy). [:I]

Comment

Working...
                          X