This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help to ID Old Studebaker Engine, etc

I retrieved an old Studebaker engine and transmission on a portion of a chassis from a barn on our family farm(it was used as a stationary engine in a mill). It was last run in 1938. It is a straight 6, the starter motor is mounted vertically at the front of the engine, and the generator is chain driven. It has a neat looking radiator cap with wings to either side and thick glass over brass plates, with a thermometer in the middle. The engine and trans are in great shape, so I don't think it has many hours on it. I'll post some photos if anybody can help.

Photos would be good
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I think if you look closely, you will find that it's the generator which is vertically mounted and driven off gears in the timing case. The starter drives an over-running clutch on the front of the crank via the chain. Makes the starter almost silent in operation, too.

My best guess is it's Big Six or Special Six from the mid '20s. A picture would certainly help.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

you are right of course,about the generator and starter. I haven't figured out how to insert photos in the forum posts, so I'll e-mail you a photo of the cap, (and of the engine this weekend). thanks.
        quote:Originally posted by gordr

I think if you look closely, you will find that it's the generator which is vertically mounted and driven off gears in the timing case. The starter drives an over-running clutch on the front of the crank via the chain. Makes the starter almost silent in operation, too.

My best guess is it's Big Six or Special Six from the mid '20s. A picture would certainly help.

Comment

ok, I think I figured out how to post a photo. Here's the radiator cap (pretty good for being buried in the dirt next to the motor since approximately 1938 - honest!) I'll post more photos this weekend. Thanks again. [http://mysite.verizon.net/res7p7ik/id1.html]

Comment

Working...
          X